Raptors Discussion: REPORT: Raptors trade DeRozan, Poeltl, Protected 1st to Spurs for Leonard, Green

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.

He sounds dedicated. :thumbu:

As long as he shows up and plays hard I couldn't care less what his initial reactions to the trade are. I have no doubt that he'll warm up to the fan base and the organization in due course. Whether it will be enough to convince him to stay is debatable.

Make no mistake though. It's in his own best interest to be at his absolute best this season with this being a contract year for him - especially coming off an injury riddled season. He needs to prove himself to re-establish his value in the market place.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Didn’t realize Giannis suddenly learned how to shoot the 3 and become one of the top FT shooting forwards.

Kawhi>Giannis

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
As long as he shows up and plays hard I couldn't care less what his initial reactions to the trade are. I have no doubt that he'll warm up to the fan base and the organization in due course. Whether it will be enough to convince him to stay is debatable.

“We have a very strong organization here that I think you are going to want to be a part of. It’s sort of like a family”

“But what about Demar?”

“Who?”

Reactions: BKIslandersFan

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Last 2yrs:

Kawhi: 32.3mpg, 31.2usg%, 27.4per, +8.3nrtg, +6.32rpm
Giannis: 36.1mpg, 29.7usg%, 26.7per, +2.4nrtg, +4.22rpm

Kawhi >>

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005

everybody loves toronto after playing here. the hard part is getting them here in the first place.

and yeah, it probably still won't stop him from going to LA....but then again, if he dominates and they're in the finals and he wins an MVP and escapes the "product of Pop/SAS" label, and he gets $50m more from the raps than anyone else, and drizzy drops a Kawhi album.....maybe just maybe he stays.

Reactions: Morgs and Leafin

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Excel is your friend.

Not really.

everybody loves toronto after playing here. the hard part is getting them here in the first place.

and yeah, it probably still won't stop him from going to LA....but then again, if he dominates and they're in the finals and he wins an MVP and escapes the "product of Pop/SAS" label, and he gets $50m more from the raps than anyone else, and drizzy drops a Kawhi album.....maybe just maybe he stays.

I believe someone yesterday someone used the phrase "Lebron of the East", if we do well and he thinks a 4 year Raptor deal means going to finals 4 times, that could be a very attractive idea.

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC
Less attention from the U.S. Media, which Kawhi has never been comfortable with, is also attractive.

Pretty much can play your game, win the east, in anonymity, and not have to worry about the morons until the ECF final. Even then, they're all going to be paying attention to the WCF.

Peiskos

Jan 4, 2018
Great, we trade away our best player in franchise history who actually WANTED to be here for a guy who is making it known loud and clear that he doesn't want to be in Toronto. Recipe for success alright.

Raptors shouldn't have traded anyone, there was nothing wrong with the team, it was LeBron that we kept running into. With him out west the Raptors could have potentially hit the final, our path was cleared.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Great, we trade away our best player in franchise history who actually WANTED to be here for a guy who is making it known loud and clear that he doesn't want to be in Toronto. Recipe for success alright.

Raptors shouldn't have traded anyone, there was nothing wrong with the team, it was LeBron that we kept running into. With him out west the Raptors could have potentially hit the final, our path was cleared.

Path cleared? They were not better than the Celtics and on par with the 76ers, both of whom have better younger talent, so they will only get better.

The Raps had trouble against the Wizards last year, a team with only two good players.

Reactions: stickty111

Skolman

Feb 16, 2018

Man, this loyalty crap when it comes to DeMar is sickening. He wanted to be here so bad, yet he was getting paid 28 mil per season. He didn't exactly take a discount to be here.

It's ridiculous how people claim they did him dirty, but claim it's a "business" when it comes to contracts.

The Raptors were not going to beat Boston this year with the team they had before the trade, I guarantee you that.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
[June 29, 1991 - December 6, 1994] / 365 = 3.441

I know how to manipulate numbers and I use excel almost every day. I'm just not a huge fan of excel and if I can do something is SQL Developer then I almost always prefer using that (and this can be done there easily enough).

What I meant mostly though was that I couldn't be bothered expanding the energy to do this regardless of the tools used, I have enough on my plate today what with keeping up with the posts here and some stuff to do at work as well. Plus I had no reason to doubt your math.

Reactions: Diamond Joe Quimby

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013

It sure is, I find it hard to put into words just how great this is and just how flipping happy I am.

You may think there was nothing wrong with the team but there is no question that we are a MUCH better team today.

Reactions: ManitobaKid

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
Kawhi is a free agent to be and has to prove to the rest of the league he is healthy, motivated and effective for a team next off-season to give him the max. It is in his best interest to be motivated to win and play well to land a contract and show he can be a leader to help the Raptors win. He still has to impress teams and make them forget about 2017-18. Raps are in a good position; its in his best interest to play well and by him playing well the Raps will benefit in the win column. Its a win-win for both sides.

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Last 2yrs:

Kawhi: 32.3mpg, 31.2usg%, 27.4per, +8.3nrtg, +6.32rpm
Giannis: 36.1mpg, 29.7usg%, 26.7per, +2.4nrtg, +4.22rpm

Kawhi >>

Kawhi 2016-17 on/off difference: +1.6
Giannis 2017/18 on/off difference: +9.4

Come on man. Giannis has to absolutely carry that team on both sides of the floor.

Reactions: Gary Nylund

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC

False.

Path cleared? They were not better than the Celtics and on par with the 76ers, both of whom have better younger talent, so they will only get better.

The Raps had trouble against the Wizards last year, a team with only two good players.

Also false, btw.

Reactions: stickty111

Skolman

Feb 16, 2018
False.

Also false, btw.
You seriously don't think Boston was on par with Toronto? They have arguably the best young core in the league, Hayward missed 81 games, Irving missed 22 games, Smart missed 28 games, Horford missed 10 games, Brown missed 12 games. They finished 4 games back of Toronto. The Raptors were as healthy as any team last season.

If you don't think Boston was a better team before this trade going into next season, you need to take the goggles off. Kawhi and Green change things.

Philly is no slouch either, they are a top 3 team in the East this year with some extremely young talent.

inthe6ix

Oct 3, 2008
Toronto, Canada

Make no mistake though. It's in his own best interest to be at his absolute best this season with this being a contract year for him - especially coming off an injury riddled season. He needs to prove himself to re-establish his value in the market place.

Really don't see it mattering very much how he performs - as long as he's decent, not spectacular, he will get paid next year. As most pundits expect, I can't see him staying beyond this year, and you know LBJ has already told Magic just to sit back and relax, he's coming over to them so let this year play out.

Whether he's at MVP form with us or not, he's gonna get paid because he can always use the injury excuse at his convenience or that he had no motivation to play up here in the first place, and teams down South will believe it.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
You seriously don't think Boston was on par with Toronto? They have arguably the best young core in the league, Hayward missed 81 games, Irving missed 22 games, Smart missed 28 games, Horford missed 10 games, Brown missed 12 games. They finished 4 games back of Toronto. The Raptors were as healthy as any team last season.

If you don't think Boston was a better team before this trade going into next season, you need to take the goggles off. Kawhi and Green change things.

Philly is no slouch either, they are a top 3 team in the East this year with some extremely young talent.

I mostly agree with this, if we stood pat with what we had, we're probably a top 3 team in the East with BOS and PHI. The order of those teams would be far from clear but objectively we may well have ranked 3rd.

inthe6ix

Oct 3, 2008
Toronto, Canada

Yes, I too would have liked one more shot with DD in our lineup without LBJ in the picture.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Really don't see it mattering very much how he performs - as long as he's decent, not spectacular, he will get paid next year. As most pundits expect, I can't see him staying beyond this year, and you know LBJ has already told Magic just to sit back and relax, he's coming over to them so let this year play out.

Whether he's at MVP form with us or not, he's gonna get paid because he can always use the injury excuse at his convenience or that he had no motivation to play up here in the first place, and teams down South will believe it.

I think there's some truth here. I mean Kawhi does have something to prove but it's not like he has to play as if his life depended on it to get the max salary possible as so many players are getting that today. He has to show up and play well but considering how good he is, he could cruise at half speed and still cash in. I'm honestly not worried though, I fully expect him to play the way he can. No reason not to really, at the end of the day the guy's a pro and this should be a fun team next season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad