News Article: Report: NHL to use jersey advertisements starting in 2022-23

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
You won't have to worry about a Little Caesers logo on there. Ilitch wants other people to pay for a sponsorship, not slap his logo on everything.

"Preeeeeesenting YOUR 2022 ROCKET MORTGAGE DEEEETROIT RED WINGS!"

Lest we forget the Detroit Red Wings presented by Amway.

-537936665410dc7d.jpg

Wings, Amway make history

September 1, 2011

DETROIT – The Red Wings and Amway took their relationship to a new historic level Thursday when it was announced that the Ada, Michigan-based company will be a presenting sponsor of the Original Six club for at least the next three seasons.

The Amway partnership marks the first time in the Wings’ 86-year history that the NHL organization will have a presenting sponsor, with the Amway logo seen almost as prominently as the Winged Wheel in all team advertising, branding and marketing materials.

Last edited:

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI
This makes me think of a recent Ted Lasso episode. The players on the team protested one of the team's sponsors and put black tape over their jerseys because the sponsor was involved in unethical behavior. In the current political climate I wouldn't be surprised to see NHL players do the same if their sponsors were involved in some form of corporate douchebaggery.
If you're ok endorsing Nike you don't really have a leg to stand self righteously on when it comes to corporate douchebaggery.

Reactions: Mount Suribachi

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
Yeah, people are stupid, lol.

I have a habit of wearing college sweatshirts, people always ask me why...
I'd rather advertise my schools than a company.

The only stickers on my car are my schools and also the restaurant that my buddy owns. I'll advertise for a friend...

Same. It's either a college t-shirt or a plain color T. I don't really understand the urge to buy a t-shirt that advertises for a company.

Reactions: Lazlo Hollyfeld

The Zermanator

In Yzerman We Trust
Jan 21, 2013
Terrible. I wish there was an effective way fans could band together to push back on this. Boycotts or similar just seem unrealistic, I doubt any appreciable amount of people would actually follow through on it. I'm sure the owners know this.

Reactions: raymond23

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
It’s like Bench said, this is totally tasteless. It really reinforces how our institutions just generally don’t give a damn what people think or want.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
It’s like Bench said, this is totally tasteless. It really reinforces how our institutions just generally don’t give a damn what people think or want.

It didn't sit well with me they used COVID as an excuse. Because now that things are opened up again and the revenue stream is normal, well... geez golly, the ads will remain. Forever. They used a pandemic as a Trojan horse for this bullshit.

And hey, maybe if they actually passed on any of the profits to the consumer we could stomach it, but we all know that's never happening.

At least Amazon cuts people a deal (a bad one, but a deal nonetheless) if you buy their products like Kindle with ads enabled.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
I don't understand why they'd risk tarnishing the image of something so many fans hold dear.
It seems like short-term thinking to me.
It's cheap.
If I owned an original 6 team, I'd resist.

I don't care. Haven't bought an NHL jersey in 30 years. They've always been overpriced and they look pretty dumb.

Reactions: Realgud

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
What a bunch of crap...... wonder what ours will look like.

4964327_web1_ptr-PensHighmark-042022.jpg

Like trash. Don't care that they are small, this is just the beginning of them continuing the greed. They make more than enough money with ads, as everything is covered in ads. Even in the 6-7 minutes of game action that don't have commercials is filled with ads, then they also have mini ads pop up. Announcers also have ads they say during game action, and even PP and PK are sponsored which is ridiculous. Some day there will probably be player ads, and here comes Coca Cola Jeff Martin down the wing, passes to Burger King Freddy Jones and GOALLLLLLLL!!! Man, Pepsi Chris Douglas had no chance to stop the Amazon puck!

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
Never gonna buy a jersey that has Sharp or Home Depot or Tim Hortons on it.

I usually buy one every other year. I'm done.

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
Dear NHL, Believe it or not, I actually have an idea for MORE ads. Do what the Liiga does, and put ads on the back of the net. Goals just look much cooler when you can see the net pop after a nice hard shot.

FabricDetails

HF still in need of automated text analytics
Mar 30, 2009
Pretty sure they already said the ads won't be on the jerseys you buy but I get where you are coming from.
If the Pistons jerseys that I've seen at LCA is any indication then people will have the option to purchase jerseys with ads... Which means don't purchase from LCA. Or anywhere that sells them with ads.

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
I posted a reddit thread where a Wings' fan got a Rogle Seider jersey.
They went to a lot of effort to get it. It had ads. Everyone loved it.
I'm sure with lots of effort, you could manage to get one without the ads.
Or, that Seider fan could have gotten a Detroit, Grand Rapids, or Germany jersey.
Seems like they wanted that one because it looked cool. And everyone loved it.

It's only a matter of time.
I reiterate this point.

• Love
Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad