News Article: Report: NHL to use jersey advertisements starting in 2022-23

Ed Ned and Leddy

Brokering the Bally Sports + Corncob TV Merger
Apr 1, 2019
Detroit to DC
I know there's a thread in the main board, but I thought it was big enough news to post here as well.

Greedy dickheads. Tax-payers fund the stadiums. Game day experience (tickets, food and drink, parking, etc.) has gotten so expensive that honest working people, especially families, can hardly afford to attend games. The stadium atmosphere has fallen off a cliff as a result. Instead you can watch on Bally Sports and get peppered by gambling adverts every goddamn minute. Our commentators have to shoehorn in dumbass Taco Bell Takes and Belle Tire Powerplays when calling the game. Ads all over the ice and boards.

After the helmets this was inevitable, but that doesn't make it any less of a disgrace in my eyes. The corporatization of the game is exhausting.

ThankGord

Jul 11, 2018
GR, MI
Man, I understand needing to balance out the revenue loss from the pandemic but I hope this doesn't get out of hand like it has in European leagues. The game is already surrounded by ads we don't need them IN the game.

Konnan511

#RetireHronek17
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2008
Sarasota, FL
It was bound to happen sooner or later. I'm optimistic it's going to be as smooth as the helmet adverts, where you don't super notice or mind them.

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
Meh. It's not ideal, but I accepted it as inevitable years ago.

Looking at NASCAR, European soccer, and European hockey, I think we will come to accept and even embrace the logos on the jersey as part of the team's look (I fully understand how infuriating that sentence is for some people)

Reactions: golffuul

PuckeDRW

Jun 13, 2020
Man, I understand needing to balance out the revenue loss from the pandemic but I hope this doesn't get out of hand like it has in European leagues. The game is already surrounded by ads we don't need them IN the game.
Give it 5 years at most and you won't recognize your favorite team's jersey any longer.

FabricDetails

HF still in need of automated text analytics
Mar 30, 2009
Whatever. Are they going to be on jerseys that fans purchase? Because...

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
What's the next jersey you all think you'll get anyhow? Seider?
Yeah it would have been Seider, Raymond or Zadina depending on how their careers kick off. Now I'll be wearing my Fedorov winter classic or Zetterberg jersey when I'm 90 because I'm never buying another NHL jersey.

I will also never buy from a company that advertises on NHL jerseys.

Reactions: Nut Upstrom and ZDH

FabricDetails

Mar 30, 2009
Yeah it would have been Seider, Raymond or Zadina depending on how their careers kick off. Now I'll be wearing my Fedorov winter classic or Zetterberg jersey when I'm 90 because I'm never buying another NHL jersey.

I will also never buy from a company that advertises on NHL jerseys.

Just don't buy them at LCA or anywhere that sells them with an advertisement on it. I'd be somewhat surprised if, say, Rally House sells the jerseys with ads. Or if Fanatics wouldn't give you the option.

DetroitRed

Crashes the Crease
Apr 7, 2013
Detroit
The next jersey better cost a lot less if I'm supposed to advertise for Dodge or whatever, with it.

I think our uniforms are perfect and I do not like the idea of changing them, which an advertisement would do. It would. They already have advertisements on them which mar them, with the maker's mark, Nike, CCM, Reebok, Adidas or whatever. They should charge them for advertising if they don't already.

The NHL made it over a century, now has 32 teams in two countries, fans in Europe, too. I don't believe they suddenly need this.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
The next jersey better cost a lot less if I'm supposed to advertise for Dodge or whatever, with it.

I forwarded your message to NHL headquarters. And well...

lmao-crying-laughing.gif

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Right, but that's also my reaction to their new jerseys.

No kidding. It's a damn shame they are using a global tragedy as an excuse to shove more corporate sponsor logos onto the uniform.

You know they were licking their chops for this for a long time, and a pandemic where over 600K Americans died just happens to be their foot in the door.

It's so tasteless, honestly.

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
Just don't buy them at LCA or anywhere that sells them with an advertisement on it. I'd be somewhat surprised if, say, Rally House sells the jerseys with ads. Or if Fanatics wouldn't give you the option.
It's largely just the principle of the thing. I don't like there being a 3"x 3" square on the jersey but I don't actually mind that much. But I'd like to give my ever so slight contribution to a drop in jersey sales and to the advertisements being as ineffective as possible. Obviously my efforts are meaningless because it would take a majority of hockey fans taking a similar stand to actually change this, but taking action rendered meaningless by the inevitable foolishness of the masses is about all you can do these days. If the threat of death couldn't convince people to wear a bit of cloth on their face, get vaccinated and stay home, then the threat of ugly jerseys certainly isn't going to stop sales. I've accepted that. I'm going to do my part anyway though because this is awful and they're destroying something that I (foolishly) held sacred.

Reactions: Nut Upstrom

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
Embrace? Never.
I posted a reddit thread where a Wings' fan got a Rogle Seider jersey.
They went to a lot of effort to get it. It had ads. Everyone loved it.
I'm sure with lots of effort, you could manage to get one without the ads.
Or, that Seider fan could have gotten a Detroit, Grand Rapids, or Germany jersey.
Seems like they wanted that one because it looked cool. And everyone loved it.

It's only a matter of time.

FabricDetails

Mar 30, 2009
Or, that Seider fan could have gotten a Detroit, Grand Rapids, or Germany jersey.

I still go to extended family parties even though I can't stand a few of my family members. That doesn't mean I actually want them there or to be around them in particular. I don't have much choice in that regard. Perhaps much like the consumer of that Seider jersey.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease

I think most people just deal with it or have learned to ignore it.

But to your greater point, yes, some folks will actually embrace the advertising and take it on as a part of the culture. At the front of my mind is how Fox and Monster created a subculture that wants to actively advertise for them literally everywhere they go.

DSC002142.JPG

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
I think most people just deal with it or have learned to ignore it.

But to your greater point, yes, some folks will actually embrace the advertising and take it on as a part of the culture. At the front of my mind is how Fox and Monster created a subculture that wants to actively advertise for them literally everywhere they go.

DSC002142.JPG
Yeah, people are stupid, lol.

I have a habit of wearing college sweatshirts, people always ask me why...
I'd rather advertise my schools than a company.

The only stickers on my car are my schools and also the restaurant that my buddy owns. I'll advertise for a friend...

• Haha
Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad