News Article: Report: NHL to use jersey advertisements starting in 2022-23

FabricDetails

HF still in need of automated text analytics
Mar 30, 2009
upload_2021-8-17_18-1-54.png

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
You may need to find a new fashion statement soon enough.

The line between universities and businesses becomes blurrier everyday.
Well that's a given, two of them are private schools though neither of them are technically "for profit", they always seem to operate that way. But it still makes more sense than advertising a beverage company....

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
This makes me think of a recent Ted Lasso episode. The players on the team protested one of the team's sponsors and put black tape over their jerseys because the sponsor was involved in unethical behavior. In the current political climate I wouldn't be surprised to see NHL players do the same if their sponsors were involved in some form of corporate douchebaggery.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Well that's a given, two of them are private schools though neither of them are technically "for profit", they always seem to operate that way. But it still makes more sense than advertising a beverage company....

For real.

At least NCAA players can get paid now. It's something. :dunno:

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
Whatever. Are they going to be on jerseys that fans purchase? Because...

This is exactly what I'm wondering. If this is the case, I will probably never buy another NHL jersey. I'm fine with them being on the jerseys themselves for the players, but as a fan, I don't want to be a walking billboard for these massive corporations.

Reactions: Gniwder

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
It was inevitable but still infuriating. The pandemic gave them the perfect excuse.

I know this makes me sound like an old man yelling at clouds but what's more troubling to me is how willing many people are to accept any level of advertising and clutter offered to them.

I don't think hockey sweaters are some super sacred thing to be held on high, but f*** man, it's getting harder and harder to watch the players through the sea of ads as it is.

Video quality aside, take a gander what hockey used to look like with virtually no ads on the playing surface or players. That doesn't look better to some people??

(for the record I'm not a boomer. I'm solidly Gen X)

ZDH

Mar 6, 2008
Never buying another one, will be hilarious if this extra revenue is more than offset by a massive drop in merchandise sales and they abandon ads.

Doubtful I know.

This will make me livid however, I won't give the NHL a dime ever again if they do it. I was going to get center ice but I'll just pirate it now.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
I know there's a thread in the main board, but I thought it was big enough news to post here as well.

Greedy dickheads. Tax-payers fund the stadiums. Game day experience (tickets, food and drink, parking, etc.) has gotten so expensive that honest working people, especially families, can hardly afford to attend games. The stadium atmosphere has fallen off a cliff as a result. Instead you can watch on Bally Sports and get peppered by gambling adverts every goddamn minute. Our commentators have to shoehorn in dumbass Taco Bell Takes and Belle Tire Powerplays when calling the game. Ads all over the ice and boards.

After the helmets this was inevitable, but that doesn't make it any less of a disgrace in my eyes. The corporatization of the game is exhausting.
Unfortunately the simplest solution is one that will never happen:

Stop giving so much money to the NHL.

Dollar signs is all they understand, so when people start voting with their wallet, changes like these will get reverted in a heartbeat.

But no. Millions will continue to complain out of one side of their mouths, while renewing season tickets with the other. And the league will keep doing what it does, believing (rightly so, thus far) that the golden goose is invincible.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Inevitable but still le sigh. MLB and NFL are up next.

For the NFL, they've already soft launched them on the practice unis.

8e8f4bc0-325f-4c27-91ca-c1beb25bdb6f-packers25_1_hoffman.jpg

I feel like if any league puts a hard line on this, it might be the NFL. Maybe? They are easily the fussiest when it comes to uniform rules, so maybe they'll continue holding the line. Being the only major sport without jersey ads could give them an air of prestige.

It was inevitable but still infuriating. The pandemic gave them the perfect excuse.

I know this makes me sound like an old man yelling at clouds but what's more troubling to me is how willing many people are to accept any level of advertising and clutter offered to them.

I don't think hockey sweaters are some super sacred thing to be held on high, but f*** man, it's getting harder and harder to watch the players through the sea of ads as it is.

Video quality aside, take a gander what hockey used to look like with virtually no ads on the playing surface or players. That doesn't look better to some people??

(for the record I'm not a boomer. I'm solidly Gen X)

Holy hell, no kidding. That ice looks so clean and nice. Barely recognizable indeed.

Again, the NFL is a holdout when it comes to "on field" items. Look how clean and beautiful this is by comparison. A tiny logo celebrating the 100 years. That's it. Even the stadium is clean as hell.

klugjte0y8hd4r9lvfoa

Reactions: Lazlo Hollyfeld

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
Really sad to hear this. The digital graphic behind the goalie already bugs me. I sware they do something to that graphic to psychologically draw your eye to it. Like it blinks at an unconscious but irritating frequency or something because it never blends into the background. With digital graphics they can cover every empty space on the screen with adds so it won't just be jersey patches and helmet stickers. Heck they could even cover the crowed or make everyone's arms and legs made out of Heineken cans. I worry how far it will seep into the play by play. Wafflebaored up to Larkin, this outlet pass brought to you by JG Wentworth 877 cash now.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
I posted a reddit thread where a Wings' fan got a Rogle Seider jersey.
They went to a lot of effort to get it. It had ads. Everyone loved it.
I'm sure with lots of effort, you could manage to get one without the ads.
Or, that Seider fan could have gotten a Detroit, Grand Rapids, or Germany jersey.
Seems like they wanted that one because it looked cool. And everyone loved it.

It's only a matter of time.

I've bought one real Red Wings jersey, ever.
I've bought a few replica types for playing in.
I can easily see never buying another one.
If they slap a Little Ceaser's logo on there - there's no f***ing chance I buy one.

Bondurant

Jul 4, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona
Dearborn Brand or Kowalski are the only ads I will accept. I have seen guys wearing European club jerseys and they are wretched quality. Cheap jersey with screen printed ads all over.

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI
I think most people just deal with it or have learned to ignore it.

But to your greater point, yes, some folks will actually embrace the advertising and take it on as a part of the culture. At the front of my mind is how Fox and Monster created a subculture that wants to actively advertise for them literally everywhere they go.

DSC002142.JPG
Nike pretty much invented people paying to advertise for them. I mean my entire generation went through school with swooshes or just the word nike on their shirts, shoes and shorts just because. It's not even a cool logo and just do it is like the most milquetoast slogan ever.

Reactions: Bench

PuckeDRW

Jun 13, 2020
Really sad to hear this. The digital graphic behind the goalie already bugs me. I sware they do something to that graphic to psychologically draw your eye to it. Like it blinks at an unconscious but irritating frequency or something because it never blends into the background. With digital graphics they can cover every empty space on the screen with adds so it won't just be jersey patches and helmet stickers. Heck they could even cover the crowed or make everyone's arms and legs made out of Heineken cans. I worry how far it will seep into the play by play. Wafflebaored up to Larkin, this outlet pass brought to you by JG Wentworth 877 cash now.
Your brain knows that it's not really there, but the visual feedback conflicts with this. I work w/AR HUDs and this is similar in that you're superimposing an object on the environment. They could digitally add the logos to the jersey if they wanted.

Reactions: Ed Ned and Leddy

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Your brain knows that it's not really there, but the visual feedback conflicts with this. I work w/AR HUDs and this is similar in that you're superimposing an object on the environment.

That's interesting. It reminds me how the uncanny valley works. It's hard to explain clearly why a face looks wrong when it has basically all the correct anatomy, but we know it immediately when we see it.

They could digitally add the logos to the jersey if they wanted.

Shhhh! Don't give them anymore ideas.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
I've bought one real Red Wings jersey, ever.
I've bought a few replica types for playing in.
I can easily see never buying another one.
If they slap a Little Ceaser's logo on there - there's no f***ing chance I buy one.

You won't have to worry about a Little Caesers logo on there. Ilitch wants other people to pay for a sponsorship, not slap his logo on everything.

"Preeeeeesenting YOUR 2022 ROCKET MORTGAGE DEEEETROIT RED WINGS!"

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad