News Article: Report: NHL helps Senators recoup pay after team's major cuts

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017
That’s not how Melnyk thinks IMO. I believe he thinks fans will come back as the kids improve and the team gets more competitive.
I think he’s right. Winning changes everything. Not one off lucky runs but consistent playoff appearances. Maybe not sellouts but I believe they would do fine if they become winners. That being said, that ties into what top shelf said as winning will require big moves eventually

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
I think he’s right. Winning changes everything. Not one off lucky runs but consistent playoff appearances. Maybe not sellouts but I believe they would do fine if they become winners. That being said, that ties into what top shelf said as winning will require big moves eventually
Yeah no successful team built everything through the draft,you will need to make a big move eventually if u want to really make a push

Reactions: ReginKarlssonLehner

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Yeah no successful team built everything through the draft,you will need to make a big move eventually if u want to really make a push

Yup.

Pitts with Recchi, Hossa, Gonchar

Chicago with Hossa, Campbell, Sharp

LA with Carter, Richards, Scuderi

Every powerhouse team added top end players to their drafted core.

In fact, you can argue Boston failed to win more than 1 cup with their awesome core BECAUSE they failed to continue adding top assets to win. Funny thing is, their biggest acquisition in recent history (Horton) was one of their best players when they won.

Oh i forgot they added Chara and Savard lol.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
It’s going to come down to the offer IMO. His dad held out, his brother held out during camp. If the Sens don’t pony up the family (agent included) will likely force the issue by getting a front loaded 5 year offer sheet in the 1st + 2nd + 3rd comp range which goes up to 8.7M.
If they pay up, it likely gets done, but I think there will be conversations in the family about whether or not winning is a priority in Ottawa with Melnyk.

I haven't considered it much, nor do I care all that much anymore where this all goes, but that's sort of the last possible shoe to drop from the clown show up top and would feel like the death knell.
That’s not how Melnyk thinks IMO. I believe he thinks fans will come back as the kids improve and the team gets more competitive.
He doesn't seem to be much of a forward thinker in general with the hockey ops so thats not surprising at all. He announced his FYOUS plan and it seemed like he actually thought people would believe it even though there was no ellaboration and it was based on nothing but his word, the very thing nobody believes.

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
Brutal news to hear about DJ but certainly not surprising at all, I had suspected he would likely make a move elsewhere asap, seems like a confident, smart, likeable dude so the anti sens/melnyk type. I will be less than shocked if and when Brady quietly asks out, I would for sure do the same 100%, wont blame him!

Reactions: topshelf15

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Brutal news to hear about DJ but certainly not surprising at all, I had suspected he would likely make a move elsewhere asap, seems like a confident, smart, likeable dude so the anti sens/melnyk type. I will be less than shocked if and when Brady quietly asks out, I would for sure do the same 100%, wont blame him!

what happened with DJ?

Leafmealone11

Aug 7, 2020
Nope. Agent wanted him to walk when the pay cut was implemented. Smith has lots of supporters from his time in TO and would have a job as an assistant or AHL head coach instantly and he would shortlist on upcoming HC jobs.

Says who? If he never gets a job in the NHL again or has to wait years then what? They don’t all work together and put DJ on some special “shortlist” if Toronto loved him so he would be head coach there.

BloodRedArmy

Nov 29, 2013
Bytown
Says who? If he never gets a job in the NHL again or has to wait years then what? They don’t all work together and put DJ on some special “shortlist” if Toronto loved him so he would be head coach there.
I don't care how highly coveted a job is, if your boss is a POS and cuts your salary (a guaranteed contract) by 50%, you stand up for yourself however you have to.

Leafmealone11

Aug 7, 2020
I don't care how highly coveted a job is, if your boss is a POS and cuts your salary (a guaranteed contract) by 50%, you stand up for yourself however you have to.

He did he filed a complaint and got paid, and the sens staff is getting 100% of their money unlike many other teams.
“You” stand up for yourself is easy to say when it’s someone else that could screw themselves forever and not actually you

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Devcore could still buy the team and include them
In their bid for lebreton flats!

Bryden had to sell to a richer man because he couldn’t keep the patch job up. Melnyck seems to be in the same boat. sell it to real billionaires and let them run a multi arm sports franchise as pro teams are supposed to be now, big finance and big partners.

Melnyck is just keeping the lights on and the beer flowing. Sens need a new injection of life and energy more then the money itself.

BloodRedArmy

Nov 29, 2013
Bytown
He did he filed a complaint and got paid, and the sens staff is getting 100% of their money unlike many other teams.
“You” stand up for yourself is easy to say when it’s someone else that could screw themselves forever and not actually you
I don't know what you're getting at, I'm just saying his agent is right. Nothing is worth being shafted by a greedy employer.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Bryden had to sell to a richer man because he couldn’t keep the patch job up. Melnyck seems to be in the same boat. sell it to real billionaires and let them run a multi arm sports franchise as pro teams are supposed to be now, big finance and big partners.

Melnyck is just keeping the lights on and the beer flowing. Sens need a new injection of life and energy more then the money itself.

I wonder how different things would be today if the Peltz/Bryden partnership had worked out instead of bowing out and Melnyk swooping in.

Bryden's biggest issue was debt and the canadian dollar. Right after Melnyk bought the team the dollar exploded rising to par by 2007. Debt was drastically reduced by the bankruptcy proceedings but their plan wouldn't have reduced it as much as Melnyk was able to.

thinkwild

Veni Vidi Toga
Jul 29, 2003
Ottawa
One of the things i remember about Peltz was when reporters asked him about Brydens plan and he said something to the effect that - oh no, I lead a publicly traded audited company, and his shareholders would never allow him to get on board with such a scheme. Made me laugh.

I think Melnyk was the right type of choice as a billionaire with no shareholders willing and able to spend his own money. But I guess after many years of that he was no longer able or willing.

It used to be the case apparently that teams could depreciate their payroll once upon buying the team giving them extra money to play with. Dont know if that is still the case or not. Nut that combined with a new owner with a new toy is probably the best situation for us. We need ownership to turn over like a 7 year itch.

Leafmealone11

Aug 7, 2020
I don't know what you're getting at, I'm just saying his agent is right. Nothing is worth being shafted by a greedy employer.

I’m saying his agent is an idiot that should be fired. If he sticks out his contract and helps turn the sens around he will have many chances in the future but if he left now....he lead a team to second to last and ran out on his first contract he may never get another chance.
Plus there is no hockey why leave now? He is getting paid to do nothing you would have to be a fool to walk out on free money

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
They haven’t been made whole yet. Still waiting on Euge.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Lou would give him an asst job tomorrow and there are others. Trust me when I tell you the old boys network takes care of Theodore own.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
You guys realize he's going to blame the pandemic for everything from here on out right? lol

Actually I'm fine with that. If he wants to use Covid as cover for selling, fine by me.

Does not seem like a great time to be buying a team honestly. Not until fans can come back.

I wouldn't be surprised if I was told Melnyk would like to sell but can't find anyone willing to make a decent offer.

Leafmealone11

Aug 7, 2020
Lou would give him an asst job tomorrow and there are others. Trust me when I tell you the old boys network takes care of Theodore own.

Ton of their own are wanting jobs, lou just hired his guys will he fire his own? There is already talk they have an assistant thats ready for a head coaching job, who is looked out for more?

slamigo

Skate or Die!
Dec 25, 2007
Ottawa
They haven’t been made whole yet. Still waiting on Euge.
Whoa. Wait, wha???
I thought the league stepped in and ruled on this? How could EM simply not pay them now? IF true, this looks bad on the league, not just the Sens.

Reactions: Bileur

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
It’s going to come down to the offer IMO. His dad held out, his brother held out during camp. If the Sens don’t pony up the family (agent included) will likely force the issue by getting a front loaded 5 year offer sheet in the 1st + 2nd + 3rd comp range which goes up to 8.7M.
Yeah I think this is going to be a different beast than the Chabot negotiation. I expect it to go to the bitter end.

Once he’s offersheet-eligible we’re in danger. It doesn’t even need to be that high of a cap hit as long as he’s offered a big bonus.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad