News Article: Report: NHL helps Senators recoup pay after team's major cuts

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
link?
Good for him though. Standing up for himself and his assistants that he had a hand in bringing in. I'd like to know the steps he took to do that. IE talk to Dorion, and/or Melnyk and the feedback he received.

Makes sense, he is the head coach.

Most likely went down like this:

DJ: When are we getting full pay again, other teams getting paid. I have to pay my bills.
Euge: When we get tickets sold, and we have steady income again.
DJ: Right....

Two days later... after speaking to his Leaf coach friends, who live in the real NHL land, were able to point DJ to a person from the NHL to talk to about their situation.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
link?
Good for him though. Standing up for himself and his assistants that he had a hand in bringing in. I'd like to know the steps he took to do that. IE talk to Dorion, and/or Melnyk and the feedback he received.
I can’t provide my source openly. DJs agent wants him out of Ottawa (Melnyk) but DJ won’t bail on Dorion.

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
We just lost the goalie coach in Belleville to the frontenacs.

Teams have had to shut things down in the past for CBA disputes but they new it was coming and had a war chest built up. The lucky part of the timing here is that we are close to the end of the current CBA so they like again had that war chest, but unlike a lockout, they can't supplement their revenues by increasing non hockey events at the arenas.

I wonder if the pandemic will deplete the labour dispute war chests and give either the players or owners additional leverage for 2022.

Belleville has already lost two coaches...

Unless this was a ploy to restock the coaching staff with higher level, more experienced coaches to handle the incoming talent, this maybe an outcome of bad pay. I think it may be the former. Or at least I hope.

Cooper leaving B-Sens to join Frontenacs as Assistant GM

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
His agent is telling him to walk away from a contract and a head coaching job? The agent should be fired if this is true.

Yeah, there are only 31 (soon to be 32) of those jobs on the planet. You don't "walk away" from one when you have it. That's a great way to never sniff the NHL again.

Now if the agent means walk away after the contract is complete, or hold off on an extension...that's a different story.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
His agent is telling him to walk away from a contract and a head coaching job? The agent should be fired if this is true.
Melnyk already broke the contract by unilaterally cutting the coaches salaries by 50%. He was within his rights to walk away, but chose to go to the league instead.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
link?
My response to this was deleted. My sources have been revealed to @Fenway His agent wanted him to leave the team but he is staying because of loyalty to PD.

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

Emerica

May 29, 2010
My response to this was deleted. My sources have been revealed to @Fenway His agent wanted him to leave the team but he is staying because of loyalty to PD.
That's unfortunate. Would've been a pretty big story if it would've happened. One that the NHL couldn't have ignored like they have for Melnyk's other slip ups.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
At some point there has to be an element of "I told you so"

I feel bad for all those screwed over by Melnyk, but when you make a deal with the devil, you get burned.
That point may come sooner than we'd like wrt Tkachuk

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Yikes.

It seems crazy, but forcing his way out could actually be the advice he gets. Why hitch your wagon during your prime to a franchise where winning isn't the priority.
When it seems we may have turned a bit of a corner; building blocks White and Chabot signed long term ... hired what seems to be a good coaching staff ... people starting to say the worst is over and it was in the context of a rebuild, huge draft coming up .. and wham.. force your just hired coach to go to the league to get pay reinstated. Its fn idiotic.

Reactions: DrEasy and Blotto71

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
When it seems we may have turned a bit of a corner; building blocks White and Chabot signed long term ... hired what seems to be a good coaching staff ... people starting to say the worst is over and it was in the context of a rebuild, huge draft coming up .. and wham.. force your just hired coach to go to the league to get pay reinstated. Its fn idiotic.
Well put. It is idiotic and unfortunately not surprising.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Yeah, there are only 31 (soon to be 32) of those jobs on the planet. You don't "walk away" from one when you have it. That's a great way to never sniff the NHL again.

Now if the agent means walk away after the contract is complete, or hold off on an extension...that's a different story.
Nope. Agent wanted him to walk when the pay cut was implemented. Smith has lots of supporters from his time in TO and would have a job as an assistant or AHL head coach instantly and he would shortlist on upcoming HC jobs.

Reactions: Blotto71

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Yikes.

It seems crazy, but forcing his way out could actually be the advice he gets. Why hitch your wagon during your prime to a franchise where winning isn't the priority.
It’s going to come down to the offer IMO. His dad held out, his brother held out during camp. If the Sens don’t pony up the family (agent included) will likely force the issue by getting a front loaded 5 year offer sheet in the 1st + 2nd + 3rd comp range which goes up to 8.7M.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Is anybody really surprised by this anymore???He is gonna go under with all the debt the team has on it,and he will sell for pennies on the dollar

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Is anybody really surprised by this anymore???He is gonna go under with all the debt the team has on it,and he will sell for pennies on the dollar
Again it’s not that much debt. If someone offered 500M USD for the team, arena and land I’m confident he would sell but there has been no offers like that. I doubt anyone is buying an NHL team until there is a path to fans in the buildings.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Again it’s not that much debt. If someone offered 500M USD for the team, arena and land I’m confident he would sell but there has been no offers like that. I doubt anyone is buying an NHL team until there is a path to fans in the buildings.
Yep thats fair,but I cant see EM holding out much longer...If he continues running the team like a AHL team,it wont matter what happens with Covid ,the fans wont return...This team needs to make a big move or two to show the fans that we are past being a farm team to the NHL

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Yep thats fair,but I cant see EM holding out much longer...If he continues running the team like a AHL team,it wont matter what happens with Covid ,the fans wont return...This team needs to make a big move or two to show the fans that we are past being a farm team to the NHL
That’s not how Melnyk thinks IMO. I believe he thinks fans will come back as the kids improve and the team gets more competitive.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad