Rumor: Report: Habs’ Holloway signing in KHL

SB164

Apr 29, 2010
Montreal, Quebec
Per Championat, Bud Holloway — the 28-year-old journeyman that made his storybook NHL debut with the Habs last season — has opted to join KHL powerhouse CSKA Moscow.

Holloway joined the Habs last season after four highly productive years in Europe.

In 2011, he emerged as a Swedish League star — Holloway set a record for most points in a SHL postseason (23 in 19 games) and, in his second season, became just the second player in league history to score eclipse the 70-point plateau.

In ’14-15, Holloway signed in Switzerland and continued to be a productive scorer, with 37 points in 42 games for SC Bern.

His scoring exploits translated over to the AHL, as he led St. John’s with 61 points in 70 games.

Montreal called up Holloway for his first-ever big league game in late November, and head coach Michel Therrien was effusive in his praise.

http://nhl.nbcsports.com/2016/05/24/report-habs-holloway-signing-in-khl/

hototogisu

Poked the bear!!!!!
Jun 30, 2006
Montreal, QC
Kinda too bad. Not because I think he was something special but more because St. John's needs all the help it can get. Would have liked to have him back for next year as a call-up option.

On the other hand he's 28, so he can't wait forever for an NHL to come calling for a 1-way deal. If CSKA is offering him good money, makes sense to take it. Good luck to him.

Mad Brills*

Kinda sad he didn't get a better chance.

Last edited by a moderator:

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
Therrien gave him 8 mins on a 4th line if I remember correctly.

Yup lets blame MT of course.

Holloway is an AHL/Euro player. Why do you think he only came over here at 28?

We all had fantasies of Bud breaking out and being a 2nd liner but the truth is that he nothing more than a good AHL player.

No surprise first thing when I saw this thread I knew that MT and eventually MB will be blamed for Bud not being an elite 80 pt superstar.

He will be missed in Saint Johns as he was a great veteran who produced. Big hole down there and with more of our youngsters getting a shot to play in the NHL next years team is going to have a talent problem.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
Can't say I'm surprised, it's what makes the most sense from his perspective. He doesn't have anything to prove in the AHL anymore and it seemed pretty clear last year that we had no intention of giving him a chance with the big team. Might as well make some money in Europe.

Alex514

May 10, 2015
So long Bud.... You had one of the coolest names in the league and you lived your dream of playing at least one NHL game.

Best of luck in the KHL.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Not a big loss. We could surely do better if we want to add vets up front. Though, maybe Bergevin don't want that....

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
Not a big loss. We could surely do better if we want to add vets up front. Though, maybe Bergevin don't want that....

I figure once we were obviously going to miss the playoffs, several St. John's players should have played in Montreal. Good for them and good for draft position.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Not a big surprise but he certainly could have played over DLR and allowed DLR to continue to develop bis offensive confidence in the AHL rather than continue to get ****ed up here.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com

not sure how much better you can get then one of the best players in the AHL. The interesting part to me,

Our AHL Leading Scorers Last 3 years,

2014-2015 - Holloway
2013-2014 - Hensick
2012-2013 - St. Pierre

Each one was gone the next season. Would be nice if they could find one that can stick around more then 1 season to help with the youth. Assuming Dumont is gone as well, going to need some good veteran leaders up front.

Harry Wong

Oct 25, 2009
Never ceases to amaze me how and why teams sign guys who are sucessful at every level they have played and yet they barely get a look in the NHL. Don't understand why they didn't play Holloway after we clearly had missed the playoffs, and why he didn't get some time on an offensive line. Was his lack of ability that obvious and if so why did they sign him in the first place?

kingdok

Jun 8, 2004
I remember when Holloway, Semin and Kassian were gonna have a hard battle for second line duties.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad