Report: Goodenow still firm against cap

Status
Not open for further replies.

CarlRacki

Feb 9, 2004
ScottyBowman said:
LOL. You are one of the pro-owner suckers who thinks that ticket prices will fall. Take an econ class and learn about supply and demand.

Where did he say that?

jcab2000

Mar 3, 2004
Raleigh, NC
ScottyBowman said:
LOL. You are one of the pro-owner suckers who thinks that ticket prices will fall. Take an econ class and learn about supply and demand.

I completely understand that owners will charge as much as people are willing to pay for tickets. My point remains the same.

Icey

Jan 23, 2005
jcab2000 said:
I completely understand that owners will charge as much as people are willing to pay for tickets. My point remains the same.

And that's okay? It's fine that the owners want to hose us fans on ticket prices, concessions, merchandise etc., but god forbid we pay a player a cent more than us fans think they deserve, afterall they make more in a year than most of us will make in a lifetime.

SENSible1*

John Flyers Fan said:
Wanna explain that big profit sharing again, and how that's a big boon to the players.

Even if it's 50/50 over $100 million profit, and somehow the NHL reported making a $200 million profit, the NHL players would on average see an extra $71,000.

Somehow I don't see that extra $71,000 meaning all that much.

What if the PA invested the $50 M the money in their pension fund?

ScottyBowman

Mar 10, 2003
Detroit
Visit site
jcab2000 said:

So it makes you feel better that some old rich guy upstairs is pocketing the money instead of the players? This is what all the pro-owner fans want.

X0ssbar

John Flyers Fan said:
That's now why.

The large majority of fans are against the players for the following reasons

#1. They root for a team that doesn't spend a sginificant amount of money, and think this will give their team a better chance to win

and/or

#2. Most people here have actually played hockey at one time or another, and would much rather be playing hockey for a living that whatever it is they currently do. Therefore players should be greatful and willing to play this game for $50,000 a year.

#3 Have a higher education level than most NHL players and realize 55% of league revenues is more than fair.

#4 Have common sense and realize that based on the NHL's total revenues, TV ratings, TV Deal, franchise values, merchandise sales, etc cannot sustain the current inflation rate of players salaries and maintain a healthy league.

Average salary
MAJOR LEAGUE BASEBALL:$2.5 million.
NBA: $4.92 million**
NFL: $1.25 million.
NHL: $1.8 million

http://www.detnews.com/2004/wings/0410/13/g06-302043.htm

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/news;_y...wN0bQ--?slug=daretocompare&prov=tsn&type=lgns

Slapshot17

Aug 29, 2004
Prince George
If the players were to strictly tell Goodenow that a cap was acceptable he would negotiate one. He is a deadline guy, and I think he knows now that the last minutes are upon us. If there is a deal to be struck it will be within 48 hours. Otherwise, this may be the end of the NHL. Goodenow will get the best deal he possibly can. Maybe Bettman has finally realized that Bob always waits until the last minute and is trying to see if he will buckle under pressure. Whatever happens, when the Bettman and Goodenow meet tommorrow it's either going to have to be an agreement or the end of the season, so we'll know either way.

jcab2000

Mar 3, 2004
Raleigh, NC
Icey said:
And that's okay? It's fine that the owners want to hose us fans on ticket prices, concessions, merchandise etc., but god forbid we pay a player a cent more than us fans think they deserve, afterall they make more in a year than most of us will make in a lifetime.

IMO, the price of tickets is going to come down because of attendance issues, but that's not related to my original point that the average person cannot relate to players making millions of dollars and complaining about it.

jcab2000

Mar 3, 2004
Raleigh, NC
ScottyBowman said:
So it makes you feel better that some old rich guy upstairs is pocketing the money instead of the players? This is what all the pro-owner fans want.

No, it makes me feel better that all teams will have the ability to keep their teams together if they're run properly. I'm a Flyers fan, but feel sorry for teams like Edmonton and Calgary who have to trade away every decent player that gets too expensive.

In addition, it will make me feel better that most NHL teams are breaking even or making a little money rather than losing up to $30 million a year. Eventually, you run out of rich suckers who are willing to buy hockey teams as their expensive hobby.

Motown Beatdown

Need a slump buster
Mar 5, 2002
Indianapolis
Visit site
John Flyers Fan said:
That's now why.

The large majority of fans are against the players for the following reasons

#1. They root for a team that doesn't spend a sginificant amount of money, and think this will give their team a better chance to win

and/or

#2. Most people here have actually played hockey at one time or another, and would much rather be playing hockey for a living that whatever it is they currently do. Therefore players should be greatful and willing to play this game for $50,000 a year.

Dont forget class envy. Thats the problem the players are public figures they are seen and heard and it pisses some people off they make so much money. While most of the owners dont say much in the press are rarely on TV and we dont know much about them. You could to the nhlpa web site and find out what every player makes. Any idiot could figure it out, while it's almost impossible to figure out what the owners made/loss etc. Now try and find how much revenue Mike Illitch gets from Fox Sports Detroit, or WXYT or revenue from parking and merchandise, etc. For most cases you cant, that info isn't out there.

djhn579

Mar 11, 2003
Tonawanda, NY
Icey said:

It's hard to go to hockey games when the owners are not making money. They just might decide to lock the doors until they get a deal that they feel will allow them to make money...

:dunno:

Beukeboom Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Chicago, IL
Visit site
ScottyBowman said:

I want the NHL to be healthy economically long term. To do that, the teams can't be hemroging cash. I want a system that every team has a legitimate chance to compete. Some owners are going to make more than other owners - that's understood. I don't want a system where DET can have a team payroll 3X what their play-off competition is, and DET has to make it to the Stanley Cup finals to break even financially.

I don't resent the players or the money they earn. I just would think that they MIGHT consider the good of the game after all it's done for them. I really think that most players do think like this, but the union leadership buries that sentiment under the anti-cap hype.

And for all those people touting Europe as an option for the players, the vast majority of guys over there are making a small fraction of what they would here. Some guys are taking 90% paycuts. It's not a viable solution long term, and the owners know it.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
ScottyBowman said:

We all know the fans of the rich teams like Detroit, Philly, T.O are pro-player..we get that.

But those "old rich guys" probably earned their money though business school, hard work and such and bought the team as a hobby. Sure, some of them are morons but they want to win at all costs.

I'd rather see my owners prosper because of good team management (which my team has)than pay those whining babies 10 mil a season.

I'm sorry, but there's NO WAY i'll ever cheer for players who are getting paid millions for playing a game they love.

Cawz

Sep 18, 2003
Oiler fan in Calgary
Visit site
JWI19 said:
Dont forget class envy. Thats the problem the players are public figures they are seen and heard and it pisses some people off they make so much money. While most of the owners dont say much in the press are rarely on TV and we dont know much about them. You could to the nhlpa web site and find out what every player makes. Any idiot could figure it out, while it's almost impossible to figure out what the owners made/loss etc. Now try and find how much revenue Mike Illitch gets from Fox Sports Detroit, or WXYT or revenue from parking and merchandise, etc. For most cases you cant, that info isn't out there.
You, and the guy you quoted, have no idea. Sorry. The reasons you and him quoted mean nothing to me, and probably most here (hence the other people that replied to his post).

The Maltais Falcon

Jan 9, 2005
Atlanta, GA
JWI19 said:
Your post contradicts itself. It's true few people know exactly how much most any given owner is worth, but most fans are well aware that a typical owner on average is far wealthier than any player. In that case, how can class envy be a cause for people taking an anti-player stance if it's known that owners are wealthier? Makes no sense.

Icey

Jan 23, 2005
jcab2000 said:
IMO, the price of tickets is going to come down because of attendance issues, but that's not related to my original point that the average person cannot relate to players making millions of dollars and complaining about it.
Funny thing is that I have not heard ONE player complaining that they don't make enough money. All I have heard is that they want to work in a free market system, which is not unreasonable nor is complaining.

But who I have heard complain is people on this board who seem to do nothing but complain about the greedy player and how much money they make. Perhaps thats because they are jealous.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
The biggest reason why most fans are siding with the owners this time is simply because of the realization of just how well the players had it...and that it's time to even the playing field a little, maybe even a lot. THAT is the biggest reason.

And make no mistake. The PA knows this all too well, which is exactly what they are fighting for...the continuation of a good thing.

Alas, all good things must come to an end.

CarlRacki

Feb 9, 2004
Icey said:
Funny thing is that I have not heard ONE player complaining that they don't make enough money. All I have heard is that they want to work in a free market system, which is not unreasonable nor is complaining.

But who I have heard complain is people on this board who seem to do nothing but complain about the greedy player and how much money they make. Perhaps thats because they are jealous.

If they want to work in a free-market system, then why are they not supporting the elimination of guaranteed contracts? Why are they in favor of minimum salaries? Why do they require that their agents be certified by the union? Heck, why are they in a union at all?

Icey

Jan 23, 2005
CarlRacki said:
If they want to work in a free-market system, then why are they not supporting the elimination of guaranteed contracts? Why are they in favor of minimum salaries? Why do they require that their agents be certified by the union? Heck, why are they in a union at all?

Because they don't trust the scum owners. They sign a player one year for a 4 or 5 year deal, they pack their family up and move across the country or even to another country and then when that teams doesn't win it all they want to dump the salary and player. Even the NFL has guaranteed contracts for the first 2 years.

Minimum salaries is the same as minimum wage. We live in a free market system, yet there is a minimum wage employers can pay. Same concept.

Why do we require agents to be certified? Are you really serious? How about so they don't take the league and/or players to the cleaners like happened so many times in the past. So agents aren't out for themselves instead of the best interest of the player.

They are in the union because it was the NHL who screwed them over years ago. It was the union that had to go to court to get the money that the NHL stole from their pension fund. And that is only the beginning of why they need a union.

jcab2000

Mar 3, 2004
Raleigh, NC
Icey said:

By saying they don't want to play with a cap, they're saying that they won't make enough money under a cap. What else is it?

In a free market system, there is no union and the owners can do whatever they want.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad