Report: Goodenow still firm against cap

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crows*

"I feel very strongly that we've done our share. Frankly, we're still waiting for our partner to step up."

That's such BS.He's BS, i hope the players top blindly following this idiot lawyer.

Who knows maybe the rest of the audo message was " I feel very strongly that we've done our share,, so we're gonna wait for our partner to step up, then capitulate"

FIRE HIM>

Scoogs

Jan 31, 2005
Toronto, Ontario
Honestly, if they let the season slide into the abyss..... **** them... :mad:

But also, in the end its the players who make the decision of their own fate....

Son of Steinbrenner

Jul 9, 2003
Crows said:
"I feel very strongly that we've done our share. Frankly, we're still waiting for our partner to step up."

That's such BS.He's BS, i hope the players top blindly following this idiot lawyer.

Who knows maybe the rest of the audo message was " I feel very strongly that we've done our share,, so we're gonna wait for our partner to step up, then capitulate"

FIRE HIM>
Fire him?

why would the players fire him? the players have already lost most of there money this season so coming back for a cap at this point really makes no sense. who knows what the owners will be saying about bettman a year from now. franchise values will be way down and ticket sales will be non-existant.

look i want to see hockey and if that means a cap than oh well that means a cap. It doesn't effect me like it doesn't effect you. Hockey or no hockey i still have to wake up in the morning and go to work. The players can go back to europe next year and make decent money (yes i know not nhl money) but its still something.

MykeAbner

Feb 2, 2005
Losing a season over this won't get anyone anywhere. If one side doesn't back down now they will be less likely to come next November, and there won't be a (bright) end to it.

futurcorerock

Nov 15, 2003
Columbus, OH
Son of Steinbrenner said:
Fire him?

why would the players fire him? the players have already lost most of there money this season so coming back for a cap at this point really makes no sense. who knows what the owners will be saying about bettman a year from now. franchise values will be way down and ticket sales will be non-existant.

look i want to see hockey and if that means a cap than oh well that means a cap. It doesn't effect me like it doesn't effect you. Hockey or no hockey i still have to wake up in the morning and go to work. The players can go back to europe next year and make decent money (yes i know not nhl money) but its still something.
Decent is a strech...

CarlRacki

Feb 9, 2004
It's a little ironic that he refers to the league as "our partners" yet vehemently opposes any true partnership when it comes to the division of revenues.

mackdogs*

Fire him?

why would the players fire him?
Short & sweet his job is to get the players a new CBA. He hasn't done that. Anyone with a basic grasp of math can figure out that these players will never ever be able to recoup the money lost from this year.

That, in my opinion, is why he should be fired. If the season is scrapped than Mr. Bettman should also be fired IMO.

jcab2000

Mar 3, 2004
Raleigh, NC
Fire him?

Why should the players come back this year? So they don't lose at least 2/3rds of next year's salaries. That's one reason.

CarlRacki

Feb 9, 2004
Fire him?

I'll leave the decision of firing Goodenow up to the players, but I don't understand this statement above.
Coming back with a cap now makes much more sense than coming back with a cap next year, especially if, as you say, a lost season has a devastating effect on leage finances.

Jeffrey

Feb 2, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
and again fold the league and start again with 30m$ hard cap
no garanteed contract, etc ...
and **** the players and especially Goodenow !!! you killed the league that had so much history for your wallet !!!
screw them !!! i can't stand any of these players ... Yzerman is as stupid as the other to say that they did that for the future generation !!! my ASS !!! **** im so pissed at goodenow and the players incredible !!! :madfire: :thumbd:

EricBowser

Dec 8, 2003
Pittsburgh, PA
Visit site
Bob Goodenow is negotiating like it is 1994 and has no respect for the owners to stay united and he still thinks he can get a CBA without a cap.

I don't know who is more of an idiot, Goodenow for thinking it or the players for following him.

Bruwinz37

Feb 27, 2002
Fire him?

If they dont play this season their bargaining power doesnt improve any time soon...if ever. There are at least 8 teams that will not continue without cost certainty. I guess Goodenow thinks they are bluffing, but they arent. If he doesnt bend and get the best cap possible then the union will be much worse off next year.

snakepliskin

Jan 27, 2005
Wilmington NC
there will not be a deal done until this idiot is out of the picture! some players need to step up and demand that he is replaced! this is headed for an impasse and a players strike and replacements. someone said it would be difficult for the league to go the impasse route, well, difficult does not mean that it can't be done! we will know tomorrow how unified the owners are -if they capitulate to this freak they deserve to lose their collective arses year after year-they should just make booby g "czar of the NHL" if the players do not rise up and replace this genius the result will either be 1-impasse and replacements and a long court battle or 2nd- dark arenas until2006-07 at the earliest. this is what i would like to know from the owners 1st did they go into this with the thought "we have lost so much money that the league is dead as is and if we can't get a deal to revive it we will just let it die and fade away or 2nd-though we took a beating the last few years this can still be a profitale business with the right deal with the players or 3rd -we are gonna recoup some of our losses incured because of the last cba come hell or highwater to the extent of shutting our doors permanetly? just exactly what point are they posturing from? are things so bad that they are willing to let the league dissolve before they try the players offer? or are they just out for revenge against goodenow and the union to the point of ruining the league? or are things actually so critical with the league that thry have to have their terms to salvage it? i kinda lean to this last qusetion-they have so much invested in this enterprise and it is in enough trouble that changes have to be made to avoid doom and if changes that drastic have to made they are damn sure going to be our changes-that if their ship is going to sink it is damn well not going to sink taking orders from the players union.

barnburner

Apr 23, 2004
Unless the membership rises up and insists that he make a deal - Goodenow
will sit firm no matter the costs. That is his track record. If the people he represent have to sit out for a couple of years, he is ready to do it.
He doesn't care about the future of the nhl or the fans - just getting another victory for his resume and a bigger contract for his next gig.

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
Boy the way people bash the players constantly on this forum makes me wonder why they even choose to sign autographs for people and work in their cities communities and do charity work which I bet is more than 90% of the people on these forums have ever done. Especially when Leaf fans start cheering Mccabe/Domi to go hit and score some goals when the NHL does resume, and how Wings fans will be cheering Chelios's name if he comes back to them. And how Blues fans are hoping Pronger will return healthier than ever to lead their team to the cup.

Twine Seeking Missle

Go monkey go!!!
Dec 30, 2004
Suck-town
Listen... I hate Goodenow as much as the next guy but seriously, he has not been involved in these meetings for the past 3 few weeks and still nothing has been accomplished.

krandor

Jan 28, 2005
The plays are still in a position to get a great deal for them. If they agree to linkage and a cap, but demand that they get things in terms of UFA, Arbitration, etc. they can probably get them. Give the cap and they can probably write most of the rest of the CBA themselves.

The players want a great PR move, offer a proposal with a cap but everything else slanted toward the players. They would have a good chance of getting most of what they want in the rest of the deal. I just don't know why they won't do something like that - they could get so many concessions from the owners if they agree to a linkage proposal.

mackdogs*

PeterSidorkiewicz said:
Boy the way people bash the players constantly on this forum makes me wonder why they even choose to sign autographs for people and work in their cities communities and do charity work which I bet is more than 90% of the people on these forums have ever done. Especially when Leaf fans start cheering Mccabe/Domi to go hit and score some goals when the NHL does resume, and how Wings fans will be cheering Chelios's name if he comes back to them. And how Blues fans are hoping Pronger will return healthier than ever to lead their team to the cup.
I'd gladly sign autographs for people... unfortunately nobody wants mine.

Seriously, I will hold a grudge after this is over and have been appalled by some of the comments I've heard from some Oilers players. Particularly because we are one of the teams who's been hit hardest by the old CBA. This lockout has taught me to cheer for my team and not specifically for certain players as inevitably most of these players are dumb meatheads when they open their mouths. Go team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad