Report: Goodenow still firm against cap

Status
Not open for further replies.

John Flyers Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Pepper said:
Owners are the ones who take ALL the risks, owners are the ones who have been losing crapload of money and it's owners who are offering us NHL games.

Players are nothing but extremely highly paid employees who have completely lost the touch with reality and when they say they can't work with an average salary of 1.4M, the fans who work hard to get to see them play get angry.

It's ok for you to be pro-PA but wake up for crying out loud! You're living in some dream world.

If owners are in such desparate straights ... and on the brink of disaster ... and realize that the NHL is a horrible business then why did they:

#1. Continue to pay out slaries that they supposedly couldn't afford

#2. Buy NHL franchises ??? (by my quick count 20 of the 30 NHL teams have new ownership, or were expansion teams since 1994)

Pepper

Aug 30, 2004
Other Dave said:
Name one owner whose career has been cut short by concussion.

Name the player whose career has been cut short and has not received more than reasonable insurance compensation?

Pepper

Aug 30, 2004
John Flyers Fan said:
If owners are in such desparate straights ... and on the brink of disaster ... and realize that the NHL is a horrible business then why did they:

#2. Buy NHL franchises ??? (by my quick count 20 of the 30 NHL teams have new ownership, or were expansion teams since 1994)

1) Because they had to remain even remotely competitive, otherwise we would have 15 Penguins in the league.

2) All the purchases in recent years have been made with the expected salary cap in mind. Some of the purchases were done by billionaires who were ready to make a short-term investment.

Iceman23

Dec 26, 2003
John Flyers Fan said:

Response to #1, some teams are profitable. So they pay the huge salaries thus inflating the asking price of comparable players on other teams. The other teams either pony up the dough or face backlash in the community for being perceived as cheap.

As for #2, I have no clue. Especially when the league has been bleeding red the last few years. Perhaps someone thought that they could turn a profit in a league that generates 2.1 billion dollars a year.

I figure that unless Goodenow comes up with a dollar for dollar tax or something of the like, we are going to see an awful short meeting followed by the press conference that no one ever wanted to hear.

i am dave

Mar 9, 2004
Corner of 1st & 1st
e-townchamps said:
We all know the fans of the rich teams like Detroit, Philly, T.O are pro-player..we get that.

I'm not. I'm pro-owner. I'm for a cap. I'm just not for a $42 million cap. I think a cap is possible to be negotiated if that number goes up. I think a cap is necessary to provide cost certainty, and I think cost certainty is necessary to keep the League alive as a whole. That being said, as a Flyers fan, I have no problems with waking up tomorrow to find that the previous CBA has been renewed. But you know, I just have this knack for looking out for more than just me... :)

ti-vite

Jul 27, 2004
Heaven forbid a business owner should turn a profit. Thats rediculous. And if he makes too much of a proifit, the players want a piece...why?

The 20 new owners bought the franchises after consulting Bettman, telling him that they can make profit if the major operating cost (player salaries) is curbed.

Bettman made 20 promises. I dont remember how many times Gillett said that publicly.

Ar-too

Zealous Scrub
Jan 8, 2004
Columbus, OH
Iceman23 said:
Response to #1, some teams are profitable. So they pay the huge salaries thus inflating the asking price of comparable players on other teams. The other teams either pony up the dough or face backlash in the community for being perceived as cheap.

Arbitration sucks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad