News Article: Report: Flyers to break bank over Giroux extension

SAINDON

May 9, 2012
The First State
Last year Giroux reached elite status in the sense of being a constant scoring threat, multi-point games, highest time on ice, turning heads and setting the tone out there.

This year he is more like a great player but not "elite".
How many games did he actively win for us this season? How many times did he do anything spectacular and/or game changing out there?

As much as he is the center of this team he simply does not deserve 8M per or more right now.

Agree 100%. In my opinion, he should be in the 7-7.5 range, but I think as the best player on the Flyers he could push for and get in the 8-8.5 range.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Stamkos will get more than that on his next deal. That was his first real contract, signed when he was 21.

I get that. But Stamkos is still better then and now and in the future.

I like Giroux, but something is definately different this year. Remember all the short handed chances we got last year. That never seems to happen anymore. G was always a threat when he had the puck. This year...not so much.

StoneHands

Feb 26, 2013
Stamkos will get more than that on his next deal. That was his first real contract, signed when he was 21.

But he had already posted back to back 90+ point 45+ goal seasons. Giroux will have had one 90+ point season and basically a 70-75 point season(pace this year) before and after. If they sign him this offseason I think they can get him for $7.5m for 8 years. Perry and Getzlaf were both more established and both UFAs.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
It would be great if they could get him for slightly less than $8 million.

Perry and Getzlaf are more established, but they had pretty poor seasons statistically last year. Both scored well under a point per game. Perry has only ever had one really big season.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train

Perry and Getzlaf are more established, but they had pretty poor seasons statistically last year. Both scored well under a point per game. Perry has only ever had one really big season.

Just spitballing here, but maybe they paid a premium to keep them there without testing the market?

StoneHands

Feb 26, 2013

Perry won a Hart, Giroux doesnt. Perry would basically be like if Hartnell were a PPG player, can you imagine how much he would be paid? He's averaged 35 goals over the last 5 seasons, Giroux has never even scored 30, and may never. Goal scorers get paid.

Getzlaf has averaged a PPG for the last 6 years. He's easily more established than Giroux. Getzlaf has 4 seasons, 5 if you include this year, that he was better than any season but last year for giroux.

$60m over 8 years seems more than fair to me.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
Here is the thing with Giroux. He's going to get whatever amount of money he wants from the Flyers or he's going to be traded. He is holding all the cards. He is the team's best player. He is the captain. He is 25 years old and entering the prime of his career. You may not think he is elite anymore (because he is having a down year along with the rest of the team), but I guarantee there will be 29 other teams willing to pay him what he wants. So if he wants $8 million, the Flyers will give it to him. If they don't, he'll get it elsewhere.

Laveuglette

Le meilleur receveur de passes de tous les temps
Apr 5, 2011
Quebec
Giroux doesn't have the energy he had last year, I don't know why. But I'm faithful that it'll come back. He's a very special player, I can't believe some people have already forgotten how good he was. His stats weren't "inflated" by some X factor (you could find inflation factors for any player...), he was just that good and he'll get back on track sooner or later.

Pantokrator

Who's the clown?
Jan 27, 2004
Semmes, Alabama
There's going to be even more parity in the league with this CBA. If your team has lots of talent it will probably be paid enough that they'll struggle to get good depth players; so there will be more of those players to be had for other teams who can't afford a lot of talent.

What concerns me is the Flyers are a team with lots of talent that will probably need to be paid. If they want solid depth, they better get prospects to develop.

I agree 100%. It seems to me that teams that have one or two players make tons of money hurt for solid depth players unless they can develop them themselves. I fear that the Flyers will be a team almost like Tampa, which have lots tied up in a few players and then struggle. We won't be bad enough to get #1 picks, and we won't be good enough to make the playoffs or do any damage if we do. We'll be like Calgary.

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
If he cost nine mil a year I couldn't take that happily. There's only three players I'd take at that cap hit and none of them are him. I think Girouxs got elite talent, as does almost everyone, but the fact is the guy has one elite season on his résumé. For 9 mil a year and a player of Girouxs style I'd expect consistent 90 to 100 point seasons. Just can't see Giroux ever being that guy.

Max I could be near content with is eight mil per and even that's risky.

Last edited:

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
If he cost nine mil a year I couldn't take that happily. There's only three players if take at that cap hit and none of them are him. I think Girouxs got elite talent, as does almost everyone, but the fact is the guy has one elite season on his résumé. For 9 mil a year and a player of Girouxs style I'd expect consistent 90 to 100 point seasons. Just can't see Giroux ever being that guy.

Max I could be near content with is right mil per and even that's risky.

The problem is that it may be the going the rate. He's only 25. If you want to sign him long term, you are going to have to pay. It's unlikely he is going to sign for $6.5 million a year long term. If he does he risks losing out on money. If you want to keep him here, which I assume we all do, they have to pay. It is simply how the league works. He may sign short term for $6.5 or whatever, but with his age, he is going to want to have that $$$ guaranteed to be there if he signs long-term. Then if he signs short-term we are at that road again in a couple years, where he might cost even more, or if he doesn't turn out, then he walks (or takes less). There is risk in both, but if you want him long term you gotta pay.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Giroux doesn't have the energy he had last year, I don't know why. But I'm faithful that it'll come back. He's a very special player, I can't believe some people have already forgotten how good he was. His stats weren't "inflated" by some X factor (you could find inflation factors for any player...), he was just that good and he'll get back on track sooner or later.

Taking 768 faceoffs (highest in the league) can't have helped. But Lavy has to put him out there on as many defensive zone draws as possible because no one else on the team is good at faceoffs.

RJ8812*

Taking 768 faceoffs (highest in the league) can't have helped. But Lavy has to put him out there on as many defensive zone draws as possible because no one else on the team is good at faceoffs.

Schenn was supposed to be great at face-offs. What happened?

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia

That is not totally true.
He led the league in PP points....almost 41% of his points were on the PP
Malkin....31% last year
Crosby this year...32%
This year Giroux is at 55%!!! Certainly his even strength play this year is not close to being the same as last year.

ahthorne

Feb 23, 2013
Vancouver
Giroux's at 54% in face-offs... not bad. I think the play of the team and the struggles everybody has had has had an effect on Giroux's stats. Not that stats are everything, and I think Giroux has been leaned on very, very heavily this season. Plus, other teams are focusing on him a lot more and taking all of his space away. Kid is elite offensively even if his production doesn't show it, his talent does. This is a kid you build around.

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
Upper body strength? Experience? It seems guys get better at faceoffs a few years into their careers. He should improve .

Faceoffs at the NHL level seem to be all about experience and a will to get better through practice. Schenn may have been good good at them in juniors, but that was more because of his dominant hand eye coordination (compared to his opponents) and physical strength.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $220.00