News Article: Report: Flyers to break bank over Giroux extension

shipwreck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sep 7, 2011
Texas

Papa Voracek

Apr 21, 2012
Philly
Yea, Boruk sources also said Nashville wasn't going to match the Weber offersheet. I dont think it is going to be that much because he would be a RFA.

Jack de la Hoya

Jun 30, 2011
Texas
Eh, I don't think he has any sources. I think he's just taking a reasonable guess.

I know others disagree, but I believe Giroux's cap hit will come in slightly above the Getzlaf / Perry extensions. That would put him in the 8/70 range, which is basically all Boruk is predicting.

Laveuglette

Le meilleur receveur de passes de tous les temps
Apr 5, 2011
Quebec
I'd sure take him at any price, but I hope it will be under 8M, seriously. Such big cap hits really hurt teams. I hope Giroux will consider that and take a little discount to let the team management more options, so the team can be better. He won't starve if he gets 6-7M a year...

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
I would say this is a prediction and he's just adding sources to it. The Philly media are such clowns. I wish we could have at least one of them be like Bob McKenzie.

Papa Voracek

Apr 21, 2012
Philly
Eh, I don't think he has any sources. I think he's just taking a reasonable guess.

I know others disagree, but I believe Giroux's cap hit will come in slightly above the Getzlaf / Perry extensions. That would put him in the 8/70 range, which is basically all Boruk is predicting.

I guess i'm just hoping it wont be that much, its going to kill us cap wise. Also this is making me love the Simmonds and Voracek contracts more.

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
I'd sure take him at any price, but I hope it will be under 8M, seriously. Such big cap hits really hurt teams. I hope Giroux will consider that and take a little discount to let the team management more options, so the team can be better. He won't starve if he gets 6-7M a year...

Players are always going to at least ask for the highest value that they can get, and I have no problem with them doing it. It's the GM's job to determine if they're worth it or not. You can sit there and say, "why don't they just take less?", but it's still a lot of money that he would be leaving on the table. Taking just 1-2 million a year off a contract that stretches over 8-10 years could be as much as 20 million dollars. That is an incredible amount of money to leave on the table just to insure that the team could maybe upgrade in just one position on the ice.

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
Why should he take less when he sees others getting more? Keep in mind we're also fresh out of a lockout, not a strike but a situation where his boss and 29 others cost the players over half a season. Why should he or any other player take less?

Laveuglette

Apr 5, 2011
Quebec
Players are always going to at least ask for the highest value that they can get, and I have no problem with them doing it. It's the GM's job to determine if they're worth it or not. You can sit there and say, "why don't they just take less?", but it's still a lot of money that he would be leaving on the table. Taking just 1-2 million a year off a contract that stretches over 8-10 years could be as much as 20 million dollars. That is an incredible amount of money to leave on the table just to insure that the team could maybe upgrade in just one position on the ice.

That's a lot of money, sure, but when you still have a 50 millions contract, do you care that much? Who needs 70M in his life? It may be a mentality question, I don't know, I personnally wouldn't want multi-millions even if they were free so... but I still think a player should value winning more than "extra millions". Isn't hockey their life?

Laveuglette

Apr 5, 2011
Quebec
Why should he take less when he sees others getting more? Keep in mind we're also fresh out of a lockout, not a strike but a situation where his boss and 29 others cost the players over half a season. Why should he or any other player take less?

I'm not saying he should, but he could and that would be smart, because it would help the team to win, which is the ultimate goal.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
That contract would ruin the flyers. Only one player in the league is worth that money.

No it wouldn't. The best players are going to get close to $10 million a year now that the cap circumventing deals like Parise's and Kovalchuk's have been outlawed

Fire Tortorella

Formerly Flyersfan1406
Apr 2, 2010
PA
If Giroux's next contract carries a cap hit this high, then we REALLY need to find some young defencemen on cheap ELCs or RFA deals to plug into our lineup. We can't continue to have one of (if not the) most expensive blue lines in the league, especially at their level of production.

Laveuglette

Apr 5, 2011
Quebec
No it wouldn't. The best players are going to get close to $10 million a year now that the cap circumventing deals like Parise's and Kovalchuk's have been outlawed

And it will hurt teams. These players will be way less valuable because of it. How many players is there that we can say : he's good, but I wouldn't take that horrible contract? A lot.

martz11

Mar 5, 2013
PA
Maybe he won't want to stay? A lot can happen in a years time. I also thought Lindros would retire a Flyer. Just some food for thought.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Then trade him if that is the case, he will never live up to that contract.

He's got a better chance of living up to that kind of deal than Getzlaf does. $8m plus is the going rate for #1 centers now. Get used to it.

Jack de la Hoya

Jun 30, 2011
Texas
Then trade him if that is the case, he will never live up to that contract.

That's the new normal for an elite talent, and, to be fair, we've had Giroux on a steal of a contract for a few years...

Well is it 71 or 72?

He can't be extended right now. Boruk is just speculating (or, if you're feeling generous, reporting) on possible extension numbers.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
If Giroux's next contract carries a cap hit this high, then we REALLY need to find some young defencemen on cheap ELCs or RFA deals to plug into our lineup. We can't continue to have one of (if not the) most expensive blue lines in the league, especially at their level of production.

Timonen will be gone in 2014-15 when Giroux's next contract kicks in. Maybe Bryz and his $5.67m cap hit will be, too.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,447.00