News Article: Report: Flyers to break bank over Giroux extension

JagerPuck

Jun 6, 2008
NJ
I wouldnt sign Giroux to this extension until he proves hes back to being an elite scoring threat. I dont know if anyone has noticed that hes been "pedestrian" this year.

dats81

Jan 22, 2011
Carinthia, AUT
Last year Giroux reached elite status in the sense of being a constant scoring threat, multi-point games, highest time on ice, turning heads and setting the tone out there.

This year he is more like a great player but not "elite".
How many games did he actively win for us this season? How many times did he do anything spectacular and/or game changing out there?

As much as he is the center of this team he simply does not deserve 8M per or more right now.

Protest

C`est La Vie
Mar 28, 2008
Deptford, NJ
I'm hoping for a $7.5 million cap hit. That's what Stamkos has right now, that's more than anyone on the team, and it's less than Crosby's hit. Getzlaf and Perry are overpaid.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
With Crosby making 8.7 a season I would put Giroux at and around 7.5 to 8.5 a season.

You can't do that comparison though. Crosby signed a 12 year deal with nearly all of the cash up front. Us Pens fans expect Malkin's cap hit to be in the 10mil range, maybe higher. I'd expect Giroux to come in at least at the Perry hit.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
I wouldnt sign Giroux to this extension until he proves hes back to being an elite scoring threat. I dont know if anyone has noticed that hes been "pedestrian" this year.

Last year Giroux reached elite status in the sense of being a constant scoring threat, multi-point games, highest time on ice, turning heads and setting the tone out there.

This year he is more like a great player but not "elite".
How many games did he actively win for us this season? How many times did he do anything spectacular and/or game changing out there?

As much as he is the center of this team he simply does not deserve 8M per or more right now.

Wow, are you guys serious? I love the doom and gloom and panic around this place. He's played 30 games since last season. Henrik Sedin must not be elite anymore either. Neither is Kovalchuk. Zach Parise, forget about it! These guys have less than a PPG too! Gimme a break. He's the same player he was last season. He's having a "down" year in the sense that he is a shade under a PPG pace on a team that is playing like crap. He is still playing a complete game. He is improved on faceoffs. The way this team has been playing, very few, if any, players could single handeldy win games for this team. The Flyers have three one-goal games in which they lost this season season. They have six one goal games in which they won this season. One of those six Giroux scored the game winning goal. Another he assisted on the game winner. The rest of the games have been either won or lost by two or more goals. Surely you are not suggesting that he should be held accountable for not being able to swing those games by three goals and somehow is no longer the player he was last year based on this.

Jack de la Hoya

Jun 30, 2011
Texas
You can't do that comparison though. Crosby signed a 12 year deal with nearly all of the cash up front. Us Pens fans expect Malkin's cap hit to be in the 10mil range, maybe higher. I'd expect Giroux to come in at least at the Perry hit.

This is worth quoting and re-posting.

Don't compare Giroux's cap hit to anyone with a deal over 8 years. It just doesn't make sense. Comparing anyone's to Crosby's contract is questionable anyway, because everyone know he's took a discount to stay there.

You can reasonably argue that Giroux hasn't proven as much as Getzlaf and Perry and should come in lower for that reason, or because he is still RFA. If they can get him locked down at $8, I'd consider it a win.

Flyotes

Sorry Hinkie.
Apr 7, 2007
SJ
This deal will take him to 34 / UFA. It is his career deal. He is the captain, face of the franchise, etc. It would be nice for him to take some kind of discount, but he'll be giving up his prime, his UFA years, etc. He should fight to get paid highly while counterbalancing the needs of the team (at least including the thought marginally in his decision). If he stays here, plays well, possibly at some point win a Cup, then money will never be an issue. He'll be a legend in this town.

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
This deal will take him to 34 / UFA. It is his career deal. He is the captain, face of the franchise, etc. It would be nice for him to take some kind of discount, but he'll be giving up his prime, his UFA years, etc. He should fight to get paid highly while counterbalancing the needs of the team (at least including the thought marginally in his decision). If he stays here, plays well, possibly at some point win a Cup, then money will never be an issue. He'll be a legend in this town.

Those are a lot of ifs. This is a team sport and I fear the captaincy and long contract will be a case of history repeating itself if management doesn't get the right players around him.

JagerPuck

Jun 6, 2008
NJ
Wow, are you guys serious? I love the doom and gloom and panic around this place. He's played 30 games since last season. Henrik Sedin must not be elite anymore either. Neither is Kovalchuk. Zach Parise, forget about it! These guys have less than a PPG too! Gimme a break. He's the same player he was last season. He's having a "down" year in the sense that he is a shade under a PPG pace on a team that is playing like crap. He is still playing a complete game. He is improved on faceoffs. The way this team has been playing, very few, if any, players could single handeldy win games for this team. The Flyers have three one-goal games in which they lost this season season. They have six one goal games in which they won this season. One of those six Giroux scored the game winning goal. Another he assisted on the game winner. The rest of the games have been either won or lost by two or more goals. Surely you are not suggesting that he should be held accountable for not being able to swing those games by three goals and somehow is no longer the player he was last year based on this.

His wrists are never, ever going to be the same.
Personally, I dont think he'll reach that level of play again without a bonafide #1 winger on BOTH sides. It took Jagr for him to flourish and as soon as they let him walk, I knew we'd be in for some scoring woes.
You bring up all these stats about one-goal games.. Guess what partner.. Good teams win them, the Flyers lose them.
Oh Claude stole one game this year huh? Color me impressed.

Anything over 6.5 M is TOO MUCH.

Last edited:

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
- Couturier and Schenn will need raises, though Schenn's cap hit shouldn't go up much from that $3.1 number.

I think his cap hit should go down. PK Subban got a 2 year deal with an average cap hit of $2.875m. Schenn and Couturier should not expect to get better deals than that.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
His wrists are never, ever going to be the same.
Personally, I dont think he'll reach that level of play again without a bonafide #1 winger on BOTH sides.

Oh ok. Could you tell me what the winning Power Ball numbers will be this week?

It took Jagr for him to flourish and as soon as they let him walk, I knew we'd be in for some scoring woes.

Scoring woes? He has 27 points in 30 games. 30 games. He is scoring at close to a PPG pace in 30 games. He has hit some serious scoring woes. If he had three more points though, he would be at roughly the same spot he was last year. Those three points...on a team that is clearly not as good...are the difference between Claude Giroux being elite, and Claude Giroux not ever going to be the same. If he scores four points on Sunday will he be the same again?

You bring up all these stats about one-goal games.. Guess what partner.. Good teams win them, the Flyers lose them.

Absolutely. The Flyers are not good this year. No argument here. The post I was responding to was talking about Giroux winning games for the Flyers. I was pointing out that most of the losses were by more than one goal, meaning it is a bit much to say that he should be winning those games.

Oh Claude stole one game this year huh? Color me impressed.

He's also had a number of points and good performances in losses, where the rest of the team has looked awful. The point I was making was that while yes, he is having somewhat of a down year, so is the rest of the team. You can't look at Giroux and act like he is somehow not the same player because the rest of the team sucks and he ONLY has 27 points in 30 games.

TheDrizzle81

Nov 13, 2008
Marlton NJ
Ok. Well haft leaving hurt but Voracek weather people wanna admit it or not has developed into a scoring threat. He's young. G is young. Give it time. However I don't agree with G making more than 6.5 right now. Wait until his deal is up and how the new CBA works before doing anything

dats81

Jan 22, 2011
Carinthia, AUT
Why is it bad to propose a contract weighted more on current output than based on possible future potential?

Homer has offered a lot of contracts based on potential lately: JVR, Voracek, Simmonds, Coburn just to mention some and only about half of those contracts seem justified and help the team in the current cap situation.

A player's development curve is rarely pointing straight upwards over a timespan of 8 years. If you take a single career year as a basis for an 8 year contract you very likely will be disappointed. In many cases you end up with a Briere like situation that is solveable but not ideal.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Why is it bad to propose a contract weighted more on current output than based on possible future potential?

Homer has offered a lot of contracts based on potential lately: JVR, Voracek, Simmonds, Coburn just to mention some and only about half of those contracts seem justified and help the team in the current cap situation.

A player's development curve is rarely pointing straight upwards over a timespan of 8 years. If you take a single career year as a basis for an 8 year contract you very likely will be disappointed. In many cases you end up with a Briere like situation that is solveable but not ideal.

Voracek and Simmonds deals were justified based on their production. They're only getting $4 million a year, and that's what 40-50 point scorers get, if not more.

Grabovski is getting $5.5m a year after averaging 48 points in four seasons in Toronto. Voracek, who has averaged 46 points in his four NHL seasons, is a bargain by comparison.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $220.00