Speculation: Rentals To Target At The Trade Deadline

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
I’d be nervous as hell for a top 4 dman to come in a ruin the chemistry and screw up a playoff run, like McDonagh last year.

The best bet is to get a top 4 guy and play him with Dermott and have three even 20 min pairs.

Rielly Hainsey 20 min
Gardiner Zaitsev 20 min
Dermott _____ 20 min
Marincin Ozhiganov

Exactly this.

We still need to preserve cap with bonuses and whatnot so trying to acquire that first pairing RHD is probably out of the question but finding a higher end guy for Dermott to play with to chew up some of the tougher minutes makes far more sense.

Forward defensive responsiblities remain a bigger weakness than our dmen IMO but that can only be remedied by seasoning and experience with our young forward core.

There is big room for optimism though as we have the lowest goals against in the league since after the second week (run and gun) of the season and its not all on goaltending.

Make some minor moves and see where this team takes us without mortgaging any of the future.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Exactly this.

We still need to preserve cap with bonuses and whatnot so trying to acquire that first pairing RHD is probably out of the question but finding a higher end guy for Dermott to play with to chew up some of the tougher minutes makes far more sense.

Forward defensive responsiblities remain a bigger weakness than our dmen IMO but that can only be remedied by seasoning and experience with our young forward core.

There is big room for optimism though as we have the lowest goals against in the league since after the second week (run and gun) of the season and its not all on goaltending.

Make some minor moves and see where this team takes us without mortgaging any of the future.

Actually, some recent games have been all Andersen holding them in games for the steal.

But certainly, the forwards can help out defensively, and still produce points on transition.

I don't see how bringing in a good defenseman would screw-up chemistry. Team's strength is its offensive ability and they have an 37 year old Hainsey playing too many minutes, and not having the strength to clear the puck on the PK.

I'd take a top defender to replace Hainsey every day.

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
True, but the Leafs will need guys like Bracco on ELC next year to replace Kappy and Johnsson

Bracco isn't going to be an NHL player. They'll likely have Grundstrom and Sandin on ELC's next season. They can also go the PTO route. Lots of decent players don't have jobs this year because they game is shifting to youth.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Bracco isn't going to be an NHL player. They'll likely have Grundstrom and Sandin on ELC's next season. They can also go the PTO route. Lots of decent players don't have jobs this year because they game is shifting to youth.

IF they sign both Matthews and Marner then they’ll have to do something like that for a couple of years.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
When they are both signed, they might have to make adjustments, but likely we're looking at the bottom 6, and someone like Hainsey being replaced by an entry level contract.

It’ll certainly be interesting to see how they ride it out until the cap ceiling is manageable. Hopefully it’s only a couple of years.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Bracco is far from done. His skill level is off the charts good. He is the most skilled player on the Marlies. He is working on lengthening his stride, getting stronger and his defensive game. His edge work is nhl level. His vision and hands are nhl level. I would say it depends on him how fast he develops but it may not be with the Leafs given we have 2 guys already in that mould. Smaller guys like St Loius took a very long time to develop. But one never knows where the game is going. Could be in 5 years everyone has 3 or 4 Marner types.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
It's very possible the Leafs keep their top forward heavy roster and don't go after a prototypical defensive core that some people expect. Basically resembling the roster of the Penguins, heck even Las Vegas didn't have a great defensive core and relied on elite goaltending. Score more goals than the opponent basically.

While I would love adding a top tier defenseman, I think this is why the Leafs aren't overly worried with their cap space because I don't think they want to go fishing for a top end defenseman. I could see more "under the surface" additions for the short-term (Hainsey) and hope that we can hit on a couple defenseman prospects to fill out (Ozhiganov, Dermott, Liljegren, Sandin, etc).

kevsh

Nov 28, 2018
Actually, some recent games have been all Andersen holding them in games for the steal.

But certainly, the forwards can help out defensively, and still produce points on transition.

I don't see how bringing in a good defenseman would screw-up chemistry. Team's strength is its offensive ability and they have an 37 year old Hainsey playing too many minutes, and not having the strength to clear the puck on the PK.

I'm firmly in the camp that top-4 defencemen are a really bad trade deadline acquisition.

Off-season, sure, or even earlier in the season but at least give him enough time to get used to the team's system, the goalie's preferences and play style (they can be very particular) and of course their partner. This can take months and 18-22 games is in most cases not enough time.

Tavares2Matthews

Mar 1, 2008

Based on what exactly?

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
If adding, sooner rather than later is the smart play. Time to gel, removes pressure from the acquisition.
Jensen out of DET seems smart and low-key, if he’s better than Oz.
He’s at almost 20mins/game.
I do not wanna see a move that shifts Rielly to his offside. Don’t mess.
And start resting Hainsey. Sounds like a smart priority to me, no?

jaric1862

Jan 14, 2014
If adding, sooner rather than later is the smart play. Time to gel, removes pressure from the acquisition.
Jensen out of DET seems smart and low-key, if he’s better than Oz.
He’s at almost 20mins/game.
I do not wanna see a move that shifts Rielly to his offside. Don’t mess.
And start resting Hainsey. Sounds like a smart priority to me, no?

How much better is Jensen then Oz and Holl though? I dont think hes that drastic of an upgrade that we should be spending assets to get him. I think we hold tight on defence, unless its a big move and we get a top pairing guy

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Cheap: Lovejoy, Petrovic, Kronwall, McQuaid, JayBo
Reasonable: Vatanen, Gudas, Tanev, Pesce, TVR, Edler
Expensive: Parayko, Pietrangelo, Manson, Hammer (Zona), Hamilton, Faulk

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012

Hainsey is interesting to me in that he plays the 4th highest QoC TOI% in the league and had a real solid October but struggled in November.

Then I realized I should check something. Is Matthews a factor?

After a quick check, Hainsey's numbers with Matthews in the lineup are so different than without.....and it benefits both of them.

Matthews/Hainsey together: 55% corsi
Matthews without Hainsey: 48% corsi
Hainsey without Matthews: 46% corsi

Could be just statistical noise but interesting none the less and now that we are getting zone entry master Nylander back, let's let it play out for a bit.

As for those clearances on the pk, I don't think its fatigue bothering him there but just a flub or bad decision (you always know when he makes a bad play as you can hear the expletive echoing across the ice.). The pk has been ok this year and it's actually the only part of Anderson's game he hasn't been all that great at.

Aintboutdatlyfe

Oct 21, 2017
If we could get Pietrangelo for a combination of futures, I say we do it. We will have to part with all of Hainsey, Gardiner, Zaitsev, Marleau and Brown to get him, Matthews and Marner under contract for next year. Pietrangelo only makes 6.5M this year and next, which really isnt outrageous.

Would you pay a premium on salary retention instead, as an option? (I mean, you'd would have to pay a premium anyways to move Marleay or Zaitsev).

Jeddie

Sep 22, 2014
It's very possible the Leafs keep their top forward heavy roster and don't go after a prototypical defensive core that some people expect. Basically resembling the roster of the Penguins, heck even Las Vegas didn't have a great defensive core and relied on elite goaltending. Score more goals than the opponent basically.

While I would love adding a top tier defenseman, I think this is why the Leafs aren't overly worried with their cap space because I don't think they want to go fishing for a top end defenseman. I could see more "under the surface" additions for the short-term (Hainsey) and hope that we can hit on a couple defenseman prospects to fill out (Ozhiganov, Dermott, Liljegren, Sandin, etc).
I have to agree with this.. if you have the goaltending and can score a plenty why go for that top end D. Plus there is opportunity for D already in the system to come up big. The game has change I mean look at power plays. 4 forwards and I believe one team (cant remember) has 5 forwards. All though if I was a defensmen I would be pissed.. lol

I know the saying that great D wins Championships but I also believe good D comes from all 6 on the ice. I say 6 cause if your goalie is shit you're done no matter what you do..

I actually lost my train of thought but I say we've done a great job drafting, maybe lucky on Matthew's but whatever let's stay the course. We're so young and lots of D coming up, why blow your load on a a number one D. Unless it fits perfectly no reason to try a make a piece fit while losing other assets..

Reactions: The Man with a Plan

Ovate

Dec 17, 2014
Toronto
I'm firmly in the camp that top-4 defencemen are a really bad trade deadline acquisition.

Off-season, sure, or even earlier in the season but at least give him enough time to get used to the team's system, the goalie's preferences and play style (they can be very particular) and of course their partner. This can take months and 18-22 games is in most cases not enough time.

I mostly agree, but I think this mostly applies to #2-4 defensemen. A real #1, if they're available, is still worth it.

Also depends on the path to the cup. If you're in a weak division like the Pacific, and your confident in your team, a deadline pickup has a series or two to get up to speed.

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
How much better is Jensen then Oz and Holl though? I dont think hes that drastic of an upgrade that we should be spending assets to get him. I think we hold tight on defence, unless its a big move and we get a top pairing guy

I haven't seen him much over the last few seasons, but as he was developing, I had the same thoughts about Jensen that I do about Dermott.

I'll be watching carefully tonight!

TOGuy14

Dec 30, 2010
Toronto
I know it has been beaten to death on a number of discussions but would like Tanev here in Toronto, especially if we could get VAN to retain 50%

That would give us two runs with a quality defensive D on the back end.

Judas Tavares

S2S (Sundin2Sandin)
Sponsor
Feb 9, 2007
Really hoping not to give up Liljegren, Sandin, Grundstrom and our 1st in any rental deal. Unless the rental is a stud with term. And if it is a stud, hopefully we can live with only shipping one of those pieces. Also feeling this way about Woll and Scott but I am probably over-excited about them.

The rest are fair game for me.

Reactions: IPS

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad