Speculation: Renaud Lavoie: Toronto & Tampa in for Gudbranson

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
I can't believe GMs actually value Gudbranson on their teams.

I can understand wanting a 'physical presence' or a 'guy to protect the kids' but he rarely does either of these things.

He just simply doesn't give a ****. He sucks as an NHL player.

You will regret your GM trading anything of value for this guy.

Not sure if serious.

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
We have 8 healthy D. I would suspect you could waive Polak, dont see the Canucks taking back an older D unless you make the offer enticing.

Canucks might want to give Holm or Wiercioch some games to end the year. not be stuck with Polak. you can waive or deal with him that shouldnt be thrown on the Canucks unless you offer up something good. Then we can waive or trade him for a conditional pick maybe

It will be Andrew Nielsen and a 3rd round pick.

Torontonian

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto
Wouldn't make sense for the Leafs to deal for him, With the emergence of Dermott now (He has shown that he can play), when Z come backs the D should be

Moe/Hansey
Jake/Zaitzev
Borgman/Demott
Polak as 7th Dman

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
TB will probably trade for a D at some point. Likely at the deadline. I don’t know if it will be Gudbranson or not but we will likely trade for one. Either top pair RHD or one to play on our bottom pairing or the 7D role. Sustr is terrible. Koekkoek may need some more ice time before he’s ready. If he’s proven himself ready we probably won’t trade for D. It all really depends on how things go with Hedman out.

AndreRoy

Jan 3, 2018
No interest in Gudbranson as a Lightning fan. I’m comfortable with Sergachev-Stralman as our top pairing until Hedman comes back and like the idea of Koekkoek seeing some more playing time. Assuming he does so with Girardi on the third pairing that leaves Coburn with either Dotchin or (God help us) Sustr on the second; I’m not a big fan of that but if it’s not working out I’d rather we bring up one of our prospects than pay to get Gudbranson.

AndreRoy

Jan 3, 2018
TB will probably trade for a D at some point. Likely at the deadline. I don’t know if it will be Gudbranson or not but we will likely trade for one. Either top pair RHD or one to play on our bottom pairing or the 7D role. Sustr is terrible. Koekkoek may need some more ice time before he’s ready. If he’s proven himself ready we probably won’t trade for D. It all really depends on how things go with Hedman out.

Yeah, I think we give Koekkoek a shot first and see how that goes. I’m actually not too worried about him on the bottom pairing; I’m far more concerned about having some combination of Coburn, Dotchin, and Sustr on our second. Unless a great deal presents itself I think at most we’ll look for a temporary upgrade on Dotchin/Sustr until our young guys are ready.

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
Leaf fans the leafs still need a secondary RHD for bottom pairing D and PK. We need Hainsey fresh for the late part of the reg. season and the playoffs. They are going to run Hainsey down at this point.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
Most Leafs fans aren't interested because he's on Polak's level.

You do a huge disservice speaking on behalf of "most Leaf fans" when you say something this ill-informed.

Most Leafs fans aren't interested because he would be playing Polak minutes. We don't like Polak playing Polak minutes, why in the world would we want another guy in the mix who could potentially get overused and overexposed by Babs.

Again, see above. You don't know what you are talking about, which is fine, but when you attribute your ignorance to "most Leaf fans" you do a disservice to the Leaf fans that populate these boards that actually are aware of the abilities and qualities of players that wear uniforms that don't have a Maple Leaf on the front.

nobody

Aug 8, 2017
You do a huge disservice speaking on behalf of "most Leaf fans" when you say something this ill-informed.

Again, see above. You don't know what you are talking about, which is fine, but when you attribute your ignorance to "most Leaf fans" you do a disservice to the Leaf fans that populate these boards that actually are aware of the abilities and qualities of players that wear uniforms that don't have a Maple Leaf on the front.

Is Gudbranson going to be in our top 4? No? Then he's on Polak's level. He would be a bottom pairing guy for us. I would rather see a young kid like Dermott or Carrick get that role. I'm not trying to discredit Gudbranson and whatever high opinion you have of him. If the Leafs had Gudbranson and Polak on the team, Babs would end up playing atleast one of those guys in the top 4 and that would be a huge disservice. Once Zaits gets back, we have a massive log jam at D and kids like Carrick/ Dermott who have no shot in hell of seeing the lineup. Atleast Dermott we can send down, Carrick has no where to go and there's no way the team would carry 9 D. Another move would have to be made.

In short, Gudbranson doesn't fit our team. And I don't want him as a rental unless we're paying a 3rd/4th rd pick for him. I wouldn't go higher than that. Best case scenario, we swap Gudbranson for Polak and a pick. That move I wouldn't mind, but to have both those guys on the team, No thank you. We're still rebuilding. Part of the plan is to give the young kids an opportunity to play and prove their worth. I don't want to give more plugs to Babs to overplay. Polak alone is enough.

Canuck86

Feb 12, 2014
Kelowna
[QUOTE="

In short, Gudbranson doesn't fit our team. We're still rebuilding. Part of the plan is to give the young kids an opportunity to play and prove their worth. I don't want to give more plugs to Babs to overplay. Polak alone is enough.[/QUOTE]

You can play him wherever you choose. He is 26, pretty sure if you did resign him he could still be useful as your team grows and gets better.

Gudbranson on your team during the playoffs is a better option than Carrick or Dermott. Dermott is still a very raw in his nhl career. Playoffs are a different animal to a regular season game. Gudbranson is going to do well in the playoffs.

Again, Gudbranson to any other team, let the leafs role with what they got and try and win a round or two. Then address your D and F group in the summer depending who you keep or let walk via FA.

Red Piller

Canucks
May 29, 2013
Is Gudbranson going to be in our top 4? No? Then he's on Polak's level. He would be a bottom pairing guy for us. I would rather see a young kid like Dermott or Carrick get that role. I'm not trying to discredit Gudbranson and whatever high opinion you have of him. If the Leafs had Gudbranson and Polak on the team, Babs would end up playing atleast one of those guys in the top 4 and that would be a huge disservice. Once Zaits gets back, we have a massive log jam at D and kids like Carrick/ Dermott who have no shot in hell of seeing the lineup. Atleast Dermott we can send down, Carrick has no where to go and there's no way the team would carry 9 D. Another move would have to be made.

In short, Gudbranson doesn't fit our team. And I don't want him as a rental unless we're paying a 3rd/4th rd pick for him. I wouldn't go higher than that. Best case scenario, we swap Gudbranson for Polak and a pick. That move I wouldn't mind, but to have both those guys on the team, No thank you. We're still rebuilding. Part of the plan is to give the young kids an opportunity to play and prove their worth. I don't want to give more plugs to Babs to overplay. Polak alone is enough.

You're not rebuilding, you are going into the playoffs for the second year in a row and want to improve on what you did last year. Gudbranson isn't an awesome defenseman but he gives you a guy who can break down the cycle on the wall down low and pin guys along the boards, and win the battles for the puck. He's built for that type of game, which the playoffs are all about. You also need more than 7d going in.

Putting a rookie or a guy who is really green in that spot and expecting good results is not the ideal thing to do. It's also not beneficial to have the same types of defenseman either. You need guys who can do different things. Again guddy isn't amazing and won't provide much offense but it makes sense to acquire a guy like this if the price is right.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
You're not rebuilding, you are going into the playoffs for the second year in a row and want to improve on what you did last year. Gudbranson isn't an awesome defenseman but he gives you a guy who can break down the cycle on the wall down low and pin guys along the boards, and win the battles for the puck. He's built for that type of game, which the playoffs are all about. You also need more than 7d going in.

Putting a rookie or a guy who is really green in that spot and expecting good results is not the ideal thing to do. It's also not beneficial to have the same types of defenseman either. You need guys who can do different things. Again guddy isn't amazing and won't provide much offense but it makes sense to acquire a guy like this if the price is right.
But, what is the right price? If the Leafs offered a 3rd+Nielson (as reported) and Benning turned it down, then i hope Lou is done with it. I don't want to pay much more for a bottom pair guy.

Reactions: King Clancy

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005

Not every player playing on a 3rd pairing is =. Gudbranson isn't great but he's better than Polak rather easily IMO.

Red Piller

Canucks
May 29, 2013
But, what is the right price? If the Leafs offered a 3rd+Nielson (as reported) and Benning turned it down, then i hope Lou is done with it. I don't want to pay much more for a bottom pair guy.

I'm not even sure to be honest what the market is right now. I don't think there will be a lot of gritty d available this year. Which will drive up the price. On my end I likely would have already made that trade. There is likely a lot of posturing going on and as the deadline gets closer they likely think they can get more than that.

So that being said if I'm a leaf fan yeah I likely wouldn't want to pay either. However, I do believe he would help you when the chips are down and it's game 5 or 6 and tensions are boiling, especially if you draw the bruins.

Canuck86

Feb 12, 2014
Kelowna

Well if some of you leaf fans seem to think Babcock would love this guy what he he discussed an extension with your team and once agreed upon the deal would be completed?

I am not going to speculate the term or cap hit that is all for your GM and his agent.

But is Gudbranson is going to the leafs with a contract extension in place, what is his value in your opinion?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad