Remember? (Random Bruins Related Junk)

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
Ok, so the points streak is over. This is meant to be a fun thread of random musings.

Remember Krejci, Karsums and Kalus?

Remember the “peach fuzz power play”?

Remember all the flexibility the Bruins were going to have coming out of the ‘05 lockout?

Remember when the Capitals beat the Bruins in overtime and Tim Thomas immediately skated off the ice?

Remember when the Ducks challenged the curve of Samsonov’s stick?

Remember the Marty LaPointe signing?

Remember Brian Rolston the second time around?

Remember when they added Gonchar at the deadline?

Remember having a different broadcast team on the road?

Remember all the goalies in the 90s?

Remember all the coaches in the 90s?

Remember the Oates to Washington trade?

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
Ok, so the points streak is over. This is meant to be a fun thread of random musings.

Yes, and out of the three, I was least excited about Krejci. I thought Karsums would be a gritty player like Lucic ended up being, and thought Kalus would be the high scoring winger we needed. I was totally wrong.

Remember all the flexibility the Bruins were going to have coming out of the ‘05 lockout?
Yep, letting everyone's contract expire going into the lockout was MOC's master plan, and he ended up with Brian Leetch and Alex Zhamnov out of it.

Remember when the Capitals beat the Bruins in overtime and Tim Thomas immediately skated off the ice?
It was goalie interference.

Apparently it was a direct response to Illitch calling Jacobs a cheapskate at a BoG meeting. In fairness, Lapointe was a great third liner for us for a few years and was absolutely vital in breaking Bergeron into the league.

TBQH he wasn't that bad.

The biggest deadline splash of my fandom. He paid dividends, scoring the winning goal in game 1 against the Habs, IIRC. I'm still disappointed at how they blew that series.

Indeed. Dave Shea and Brickley on the road, Dale and Kluzak at home. Home games were clearly better.

At least half of them.

Yep.

Yeah, didn't Tocchet try to not report at first? I remember being simultaneously sad that Oates left but excited for Jim Carey. The media did a real hatchet job on Oates though and made him out to be the bad guy.

Hamilton Brian

Apr 12, 2004
Hamilton, ON
And the duelling "Next Cam's" Sandy Moger and Landon Wilson
Oh god. Man...we were bad in 96, 97...life back in 98 and 99...then back down to earth. Sandy Moger. And then we thought we'd get it done with Jeff Odgers. That was the year they presented Bourque a golf cart for hitting some milestone. Rick Zombo? Was that 97 too? Sheldon Kennedy. 97.

Reactions: lopey and BMC

Wiggleboom

Feb 6, 2010
Vancouver
Remember Mats Naslund of the Habs scoring with 51 seconds left to break the 0-0 tie (and break my 9 year-old heart) in the deciding game 5 in 1985?

Reactions: lopey

HackeyFanz

Dec 8, 2017

Oh the Gonchar trade. Brings back memories. I had high hopes for that playoff run.

And Landon Wilson in the series against Carolina.. I really thought he was going to break through

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
In my lifetime the Bruins have had ebbs and flows.

I became a fan in the era where the B's were the worst team in the O6 not making the playoffs for 8 years. Channel 56 walked away from the Bruins in 1967 and Channel 38 only got involved when Adams allowed them to televise home games starting with the 67-68 season. Fred Cusick begged Channel 56 to give the team another year ( he was also the news director ) but the owners in California said no. Channel 38 hired an announcer from Springfield, Don Earle, and paired him with Pat Egan and thanks to Orr they attracted viewers and became the dominant UHF station in Boston.

There was a backlash towards the new owners from Buffalo when Orr left for Chicago but we only found out years later how badly Jacobs wanted to keep Orr but Alan Eagleson had promised Bill Wirtz he would steer Bobby to Chicago. :cry:

Interest in the team collapsed when Cherry was fired in 1979 and then Jacobs announced he was moving the team to New Hampshire which almost happened. It got worse when home games were moved to the new pay channel NESN in 1984 which cost $10 a month. Most of us then wound up paying $15 a month for NESN and SportsChannel.

But the darkest period would come between 2005-2007 after the lost season and Sinden and O'Connell totally screwed up and lost most of the 2004 team and then Thornton was traded in November of 2005. The day after that trade WEEI was all Bruins with angry fans calling in and then Ordway somehow got Papa Jacobs on the air. He has been the owner for almost 30 years and it was the first time most of us had ever heard his voice.

What we didn't know then was Charlie who had been sent to Boston to learn the family business reported back to his father that Sinden had to go. Enter Chiarelli and new coach Dave Lewis :help:

Remember the marketing campaign - IT'S CALLED BRUINS? Of course, the joke became the B is silent. :cry:

They struck gold with the Bruins Bear ads 10 years ago but it was scrapped and the ad agency fired when Papa Jacobs found this ad in poor taste.

But the one memory I will treasure is the 2011 Bruins parade. Of the 12 parades in this century, it was the 3rd or 4th largest BUT it wasn't a pink hat crowd. This is still a hockey town.

nazartp

Apr 5, 2006
In my lifetime the Bruins have had ebbs and flows.

I became a fan in the era where the B's were the worst team in the O6 not making the playoffs for 8 years. Channel 56 walked away from the Bruins in 1967 and Channel 38 only got involved when Adams allowed them to televise home games starting with the 67-68 season. Fred Cusick begged Channel 56 to give the team another year ( he was also the news director ) but the owners in California said no. Channel 38 hired an announcer from Springfield, Don Earle, and paired him with Pat Egan and thanks to Orr they attracted viewers and became the dominant UHF station in Boston.

There was a backlash towards the new owners from Buffalo when Orr left for Chicago but we only found out years later how badly Jacobs wanted to keep Orr but Alan Eagleson had promised Bill Wirtz he would steer Bobby to Chicago. :cry:

Interest in the team collapsed when Cherry was fired in 1979 and then Jacobs announced he was moving the team to New Hampshire which almost happened. It got worse when home games were moved to the new pay channel NESN in 1984 which cost $10 a month. Most of us then wound up paying $15 a month for NESN and SportsChannel.

But the darkest period would come between 2005-2007 after the lost season and Sinden and O'Connell totally screwed up and lost most of the 2004 team and then Thornton was traded in November of 2005. The day after that trade WEEI was all Bruins with angry fans calling in and then Ordway somehow got Papa Jacobs on the air. He has been the owner for almost 30 years and it was the first time most of us had ever heard his voice.

What we didn't know then was Charlie who had been sent to Boston to learn the family business reported back to his father that Sinden had to go. Enter Chiarelli and new coach Dave Lewis :help:

Remember the marketing campaign - IT'S CALLED BRUINS? Of course, the joke became the B is silent. :cry:

They struck gold with the Bruins Bear ads 10 years ago but it was scrapped and the ad agency fired when Papa Jacobs found this ad in poor taste.

But the one memory I will treasure is the 2011 Bruins parade. Of the 12 parades in this century, it was the 3rd or 4th largest BUT it wasn't a pink hat crowd. This is still a hockey town.

I moved to the US in 1998 and that's when I started watching the Bruins. I guess I missed the dark times of 1997.

I remember the times when Khrstich and Samsonov would come to a Russian store on Harvard Av. and drink vodka with the owner. He claimed that Samsonov always scored the day after. Then Sammy's girlfriend (wife?) put the end to it.

Dafoe screwing up in the playoffs and asking for a raise.

Tandem of Shield and Grahame... Grahame started so well...

Timmay as a call-up impressing me by not quitting on any play.

I remember Rolston second time around - he was killer shorthanded.

I was at the Devils game after which JT was traded. With DL behind the bench I quit watching the regular season with about 15 games left - it was THAT depressing. I don't remember who, but someone on this board called DL as a failure the day he was hired. But this board was hilarious - DL's diary, Tenkrat thread.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
I remember John Gruden's turnover vs the Crash Line

I remember loving the Roy-Stumpel-Wilson line

I remember wanting to see Neely and Tocchet on the same line (IIRC that never happened)

I remember Kvartalnov's rookie year. Thought he was the next Bure

I remember the sheer anger I had trading Tom Fergus, Mike Krushelnyski, Bill Ranford and Barry Pederson

I remember Willi Plett's one season here. Loved him.

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
Remember the 1982-1983 season when Bruins netminder Pete Peeters had an undefeated streak of 31 games? (26 wins and 5 ties. Yes for you young folk, there was once ties). It was one short of the record held by another Bruin Gerry Cheevers.

The Bruins decided to start Peeters against the strong Sabres (although he beat them 4 times that season) instead of the next night against the lowly LA Kings I believe. (any way the opponent was bad).

The Bruins coach at the time: Gerry Cheevers

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
Remember when Brad Boyes was our out of nowhere young scoring machine?

16-28-44 in the final 36 games in 2005-06 and 26-43-69 overall.

I do.....I still have a home white Boyes jersey hanging in the closet. Still gets me the most comments out of all my jerseys

I remember when he was traded for Dennis Wideman.

Remember David Tanabe?

nazartp

Apr 5, 2006
Remember when Brad Boyes was our out of nowhere young scoring machine?

16-28-44 in the final 36 games in 2005-06 and 26-43-69 overall.

I do.....I still have a home white Boyes jersey hanging in the closet. Still gets me the most comments out of all my jerseys
What happened to him? His production fell off badly after 09.

TP

Global Moderator
Dec 2, 2008
I remember John Gruden's turnover vs the Crash Line

I remember loving the Roy-Stumpel-Wilson line

I remember wanting to see Neely and Tocchet on the same line (IIRC that never happened)

I remember Kvartalnov's rookie year. Thought he was the next Bure

I remember the sheer anger I had trading Tom Fergus, Mike Krushelnyski, Bill Ranford and Barry Pederson

I remember Willi Plett's one season here. Loved him.

I remember seeing him in camp and getting so excited.. Talk about a cliff. I still have two Kvartlanov sweaters.

Reactions: LouJersey

trenton1

Bergeron for Hart
Dec 19, 2003
Loge 31 Row 10
Remember Mats Naslund of the Habs scoring with 51 seconds left to break the 0-0 tie (and break my 9 year-old heart) in the deciding game 5 in 1985?

Game 4 of that 1985 series was a beauty, akin to the 2008 game 6 vs. Habs.
Bruins trailed 4-1 at the Garden and were facing elimination. They battled back to win it 7-6.

This was back when the 1st round was only a best of 5 series. They changed it to best of 7 just 2 years later.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad