Relatively Simple "Fix" to Tanking

hangman005

Mark Stones Spleen
Apr 19, 2015
Cloud 9
Guys guys guys, the most simple fix, aside from spending the rest of eternity in court is to literalize tanking.

You guys want to tank for the #1 pick... ok we are calling in the army... would also give a whole new meaning to "blowing it up."

Montag DP

Sabres fan in...
Apr 4, 2007
...Maryland
Do we really need a new thread every other day with increasingly terrible ideas about how to fix something that isn't broken in the first place?

VaSabresFan

Sep 29, 2006
Virginia-via Buffalo
There is one sport that doesn't have tanking and that is European Soccer, because there is no draft. The only way to 100% do away with tanking is to do away with the draft. If you want a draft, you will have tanking.

ZeroPT*

There is one sport that doesn't have tanking and that is European Soccer, because there is no draft. The only way to 100% do away with tanking is to do away with the draft. If you want a draft, you will have tanking.
And if you do that you're giving the middle finger to small market teams and kissing the best parity in NA sports goodbye.

Bps21*

I wish people would put half as much energy into addressing the real problem with unfair advantages in this league.

NMCs handed out like candy with all the same teams on players lists. Those same teams also not being UFA destinations so they either have to overpay and further hurt their team or watch as the haves get more once again. Teams already in good situations can get good players at discounts that those teams would love to have but of course aren't afforded the same opportunity. It's a good thing chicago was able to land that Khl player..how else would they ever find talent? Hey...how did they turn their franchise around in the first place again? I forget.

Some teams have more realistic ways of acquiring talent than others. And every day there is a thread on how to further hurt those other teams.

Moops

Jan 22, 2015
I wish people would put half as much energy into addressing the real problem with unfair advantages in this league.

NMCs handed out like candy with all the same teams on players lists. Those same teams also not being UFA destinations so they either have to overpay and further hurt their team or watch as the haves get more once again. Teams already in good situations can get good players at discounts that those teams would love to have but of course aren't afforded the same opportunity. It's a good thing chicago was able to land that Khl player..how else would they ever find talent? Hey...how did they turn their franchise around in the first place again? I forget.

Some teams have more realistic ways of acquiring talent than others. And every day there is a thread on how to further hurt those other teams.

Who would you say are the teams that are at a "natural" disadvantage to others, out of curiosity?

hangman005

Mark Stones Spleen
Apr 19, 2015
Cloud 9

Well if you have the option to get transferred somewhere, you go somewhere that works for them. There a certain places you will always say no to if you got the choice and sometimes while it might be a nice place to live you just know you don't want to go to the trainwreck that is your job.

Moops

Jan 22, 2015
And if you do that you're giving the middle finger to small market teams and kissing the best parity in NA sports goodbye.

The only way this would work would be to allow all entry-level players into unrestricted free agency, so if you want to sign McDavid, have fun with the cap crunch.

Hmmm. I wonder what McDavid could fetch on the UFA market.

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary
The simplest way is to have 14 balls in the lottery for each non playoff team to determine draft order. I believe this is the best way to have teams fight like hell for a playoff spot every year.
Playoff teams would still use the current format

For the record I am an Oilers fan and have been proposing this since pre 2011 draft.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
I love how we're trying to "fix" the draft before giving the new system for 2016 a shot.

Though if you ask me, they should extend the lottery to determine the top 5, 10, or top 14/all non playoff teams, but of course the worse teams get better odds at picking higher.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Just give the first three picks to the avs every single year and no one will ever tank again. Granted tanking isn't actually a problem so all of these fixes will only serve to try and re-create an underclass of bad teams who no hope of improving that the big teams can beat up on, as they used to, but if we must fix this non-problem that solution seems like the best one to me.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Buffalo and Arizona made a strong case this year

By trading away mediocre UFAs or UFAs who wouldn't extend with their clubs? The Sabres keeping Pysyk down is the best case to be made for tanking to be real, and even that wasn't supposed to happen if Pys hadn't gotten hurt and Zadorov hadn't had his contract kerfuffle that prevented him from going back down.

FoSotC

Aug 16, 2010
Buffalo and Arizona made a strong case this year
Buffalo made a strong case for tanking by acquiring assets for UFAs who weren't going to re-sign, and still improving on their record from last season (albeit slightly). Poster child for tanking.

Clearly the honorable thing to do is to let your UFAs walk for nothing. Any team who sells them for futures should be targeted with accusations of tanking regardless of the circumstances. It's only fair.

Clamshells

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 11, 2009
I love how we're trying to "fix" the draft before giving the new system for 2016 a shot.

Though if you ask me, they should extend the lottery to determine the top 5, 10, or top 14/all non playoff teams, but of course the worse teams get better odds at picking higher.

The problem with lottery drawing all 14 picks is they would have to change the lottery ball system. Imagine this scenario:

Lottery balls are drawn, pick #1 goes to whatever team. Lottery balls are drawn for pick #2, but the numbers belong to team 1... repeat until a different team's numbers show up. Pick 3 will have to be redone until numbers that don't belong to team 1 or 2 are drawn. By the time you're drawing for pick #13, if its down to the two teams with the lowest odds (LA and BOS this year), they have 30 options combined out of 1001 possibilties. Could you see them sitting there, redrawing 900 times just for the final picks of the lottery?

Alternately, they'd have to have a scenario to redistribute all the combinations to all the teams based on which teams are out (14 scenarios for pick 2, 182 scenarios for pick 3... something like 87 billion scenarios for pick 13)

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
What does this fix?

HFBoards' collective saltiness over Buffalo's rebuild?

Also, gets rid of that pesky parity problem (league is obviously boring when anybody can win any given game) by making sure bad teams have an excruciatingly difficult time adding talent to their organizations. :sarcasm:

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Wouldn't the best idea is giving all the non playoff teams the exact same odds of selecting 1st or 14th, that way no team can tank based on the trades they make.

BakedBuffalo

**** run 4 Chychrun
Oct 29, 2014
Buffalo, NY
Please, for the love of god, stop these proposal's. Don't fix something that isn't even a problem. The worst teams need the best picks, and it's been shown to work. Parity is at it's peak right now, and the standard system helps with that. The vast majority of people suggesting radical changes are fans of teams that aren't (currently) effected by it. You'll sing a different tune when your team bottoms out, then you get pushed out the the top 3 because of a ridiculous lottery. Trust me, you won't like it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad