Relatively Simple "Fix" to Tanking

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
The problem with lottery drawing all 14 picks is they would have to change the lottery ball system. Imagine this scenario:

Lottery balls are drawn, pick #1 goes to whatever team. Lottery balls are drawn for pick #2, but the numbers belong to team 1... repeat until a different team's numbers show up. Pick 3 will have to be redone until numbers that don't belong to team 1 or 2 are drawn. By the time you're drawing for pick #13, if its down to the two teams with the lowest odds (LA and BOS this year), they have 30 options combined out of 1001 possibilties. Could you see them sitting there, redrawing 900 times just for the final picks of the lottery?

Alternately, they'd have to have a scenario to redistribute all the combinations to all the teams based on which teams are out (14 scenarios for pick 2, 182 scenarios for pick 3... something like 87 billion scenarios for pick 13)

In my idea, the combinations of previously won teams would get redistributed, so that would be the latter.

A program could be designed to quickly redistribute the winning combinations, just drop the ping pong balls back in and keep picking.

Opak

Nov 28, 2014
I don't think any large changes are needed. The upcoming 2016 lottery system should be enough.

I'd maybe add a lottery win condition though, to prevent 4 in 6 from happening again. For example take out the lottery winner from next year's lottery. If the same team wins the lottery the next time they're eligible, they're out of the lottery for the next three drafts.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad