Reinhart to start the year: Sabres or Amerks?

Havok89

Oct 26, 2010
Reinhart wont play above ROR because ill be happy as hell if he becomes as good as ROR. Move him to wing, then hes a got a spot in the top 6 in the future.

I'll be disappointed if our #2 overall pick becomes a 50-60 point player. People really setting the bar low for Reinhart around here.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
I'll be disappointed if our #2 overall pick becomes a 50-60 point player. People really setting the bar low for Reinhart around here.

You may want to recalibrate your understanding of point totals in the NHL. Go take a look at the players that are getting 50-60pts the last few years.

BeTheBallDanny

Oct 30, 2013
Which doesn't really have any relevance as to what they do with Reinhart...

Sure it does. Im of the opinion that having Reinhart in the lineup makes Buffalo a better team today. If we were pushing for a playoff spot or if playoffs were the goal this year, I would ice the best team possible.

Since we aren't, I'd rather have Reinhart simmer with top minutes, PP time, give him an A and fine tune his game than giving him 3rd line minutes in the NHL.

Not trying to be Pro-tank still but we still are figuring out how our new pieces fit together, I'm giving Lehner a full year to figure out what we have in him, our blueline is still a big ? as well.

Send him down to start and bring him up as injuries come in

Havok89

Oct 26, 2010
You may want to recalibrate your understanding of point totals in the NHL. Go take a look at the players that are getting 50-60pts the last few years.

I realize scoring is down. I'm still not impressed if he's putting up 55-ish points, that's not elite company. Three rookies alone broke 60 points last season, and 10 defenseman broke 50 points.

SamuraiArt

Balso Par Big John S
Sep 17, 2013
Buffalo
Buffalo. I want to see him perform against regular NHL competition before I say he shouldn't be here. Reino should only be sent down if he struggles at the NHL level. If he's playing 3rd line minutes and looking OK, I'd rather give him the chance to work on his game against tough opposition than feed him big, easier minutes in Roch. I wouldn't cut him before giving him a real chance to show what he can bring (and how quickly he can improve) against NHL competition. I understand the whole "bigger minutes, development" argument for Rochester but it still seems strange that we wouldn't ya least give him a good hard look in Buffalo before sending him packing.

ZZamboni

Puttin' on the Foil
Sep 25, 2010
Buffalo, NY
I realize scoring is down. I'm still not impressed if he's putting up 55-ish points, that's not elite company. Three rookies alone broke 60 points last season, and 10 defenseman broke 50 points.

Looking at point totals only when deciding if a player is good, great, elite etc.... And only wanting Reinhart to be "elite" or he'll have a disappointing career. Beautiful. :facepalm:

I think and want Reinhart to start in Buffalo. I believe he's ready. It also won't be a crime if he starts in Roch. I just hope he doesn't.

Havok89

Oct 26, 2010
Looking at point totals only when deciding if a player is good, great, elite etc.... And only wanting Reinhart to be "elite" or he'll have a disappointing career. Beautiful. :facepalm:

I think and want Reinhart to start in Buffalo. I believe he's ready. It also won't be a crime if he starts in Roch. I just hope he doesn't.

Believe it or not points are quite the factor in assessing a players ability. Reinhart's offensive ceiling is higher than 55 points. Yes, I'm aware of his two way pedigree. Living in Calgary, I've had the opportunity to watch my fair share of Kootany games over the last two seasons.

wunderpanda

Apr 9, 2012
Should we send Eichel down as well? No need to rush him, give him a year to acclimate to the longer schedule and travel.

Push Dr Tracksuit

Gerstmann 3:16
Jun 9, 2012
Believe it or not points are quite the factor in assessing a players ability. Reinhart's offensive ceiling is higher than 55 points. Yes, I'm aware of his two way pedigree. Living in Calgary, I've had the opportunity to watch my fair share of Kootany games over the last two seasons.

Incoming disappointment

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
At this very moment, those who slot Reinhart ahead of Larsson in any fashion - MUCH less in the sense of depth down the middle - are totally out to lunch.

it would realistically boil down to Reinhart vs McGinn for a wing spot on a line with Girgensons and Larsson... I give that slot to McGinn off the bat and see what happens. What's more, Reinhart can see loads of minutes in the first handful of AHL games, and do so as a center.

In my mind, that scenario benefits both team and player, short and long term.

Where do you put him in the first few games? There's no room.

wunderpanda

Apr 9, 2012
Code:

That wouldn't benefit Eichel. That's the difference.

one of the Sabres' best players vs a guy who is middle of the pack at best, ya they're identical situations

I don't think it would benefit Reinhart either, he had a good preseason playing a different role than Eichel. He won't be a 1c or 2c here, won't be in the top 6 until Gionta gets bumped down. Larsson and Zemgus should be locked into the middle 6 if they get extended.

Just let Reinhart develop into a 2rw, 3c here because that is his ceiling with the talent in front of him. Middle of the pack behind Eichel, ROR, E Kane and Ennis shouldn't be a negative reflection on him.

Anyway, I'm only advocating he start the season here, trial by fire. Can always send him down later, but with 4 RFA & 2 UFA in the bottom 6; a trade is probable and it would help having Reinhart learning the system/building chemistry/rotating in the lineup.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY

If he is an all situations center putting up 50-60pts that's a pretty damn good player.

Last edited:

stokes84

Jun 30, 2008
Charleston, SC
I don't think it would benefit Reinhart either, he had a good preseason playing a different role than Eichel. He won't be a 1c or 2c here, won't be in the top 6 until Gionta gets bumped down. Larsson and Zemgus should be locked into the middle 6 if they get extended.

Just let Reinhart develop into a 2rw, 3c here because that is his ceiling with the talent in front of him. Middle of the pack behind Eichel, ROR, E Kane and Ennis shouldn't be a negative reflection on him.

Anyway, I'm only advocating he start the season here, trial by fire. Can always send him down later, but with 4 RFA & 2 UFA in the bottom 6; a trade is probable and it would help having Reinhart learning the system/building chemistry/rotating in the lineup.

I don't disagree with you entirely because he is going to need to do A LOT to ever displace Eichel or ROR as a top two C on this team, but if that is really his long term ceiling on this team, it seems obvious that we should be dangling him for a top pairing defenseman.

Dreakon13

Jun 28, 2010
Mighty Taco, NY
Are you guys picturing Reinhart as a center or a winger on this team long term? If center, how do you envision that happening?

As it stands, ROR is our 1C until Eichel has more than a few preseason games under his belt. ROR is also only 24 years old, entering his prime within the next few years.

We can't slow cook Reinhart in Rochester for 5 years, when ROR is leaving his prime and Eichel is our defacto 1C. IMO, either he plays in Buffalo as the 3C, or we try him as a winger in the top-6.

You can make the argument that he isn't ready for the NHL so far... but if you're really just buying time for a roster spot to open up, I don't think you've thought it through.

Matt Ress

Don't sleep on me
Aug 5, 2014
Appalachia

So, you're saying that he won't ever be better than 2RW or 3C so may as well leave him up to do that? I would disagree with your assessment of his ceiling. That seems to be the fundamental basis of your argument.

stokes84

Jun 30, 2008
Charleston, SC
So, you're saying that he won't ever be better than 2RW or 3C so may as well leave him up to do that? I would disagree with your assessment of his ceiling. That seems to be the fundamental basis of your argument.

To be fair, the role that he was drafted to fill, either 1C or 2C, have been locked up for the next 7 years. If he is going to be a top 6 player, it's almost surely on the wing.

Matt Ress

Don't sleep on me
Aug 5, 2014
Appalachia
Are you guys picturing Reinhart as a center or a winger on this team long term? If center, how do you envision that happening?

As it stands, ROR is our 1C until Eichel has more than a few preseason games under his belt. ROR is also only 24 years old, entering his prime within the next few years.

We can't slow cook Reinhart in Rochester for 5 years, when ROR is leaving his prime and Eichel is our defacto 1C. IMO, either he plays in Buffalo as the 3C, or we try him as a winger in the top-6.

You can make the argument that he isn't ready for the NHL so far... but if you're really just buying time for a roster spot to open up, I don't think you've thought it through.

Long term, he's a C. Short term, they could slot him into the wing. Nobody suggested 5 years but without explaining the benefits of AHL hockey to a youngster, I think it would do him some good. Currently, there is a great situation for him to be sent down with dynamic depth at forward. I don't think that was an accident, I believe they really wanted Sam to give them no choice but to keep him up even among vets. I don't think he's done that yet or we probably wouldn't be having this discussion. Injuries will get him some up time.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
To be fair, the role that he was drafted to fill, either 1C or 2C, have been locked up for the next 7 years. If he is going to be a top 6 player, it's almost surely on the wing.

Let's not forget ROR's best season production wise and in Selke votes was as a winger. I wouldn't make any pronouncements that ROR is never going to move from center

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida

You mean, "to be biased", right?

Reinhart will "almost surely" be a center.

Oreilly will move to wing, it may be another 2 years, but it will happen.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad