Reinhart to start the year: Sabres or Amerks?

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
Where do you WANT to see him, come the season opener?

In the mix with the big club, even if ice time won't be heavy?
Top dawg minutes in Rochester?

Curious where we sit as a group on this... I bet a lot of you will differ on what you want versus what you think actually happens... But for voting purposes, this is your personal preference, and not what you believe will end up happening.

Wisent42

Jan 9, 2012
Södertälje
Since he's not currently blocking the way for anyone else, I'd keep him in Buffalo. Even if he sits, he can still practice and travel with the team. If management still feels he's not ready they can always demote him later. But for now, I'd keep him up.

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
Since he's not currently blocking the way for anyone else, I'd keep him in Buffalo. Even if he sits, he can still practice and travel with the team. If management still feels he's not ready they can always demote him later. But for now, I'd keep him up.

I almost feel the exact opposite.

Give him a ton of minutes in all situations in Rochester. We have plenty of guys who can play up and down the lineup, like Girgensons or Larsson or Gio or McGinn... When inevitable injuries occur, you can call him up and put him in a situation more conducive to success and growth, and re-shuffle those versatile guys accordingly.

mikemcburn

Oct 23, 2013
The poll question ("truly believe should") and the OP's opening post ("where do [you] WANT") are just not the same thing.

I answered the poll on "believe should" as Buffalo, but I WANT him to start the AHL.

I "truly believe [Reinhart] should" start in Buffalo from the perspective that 1] he's earned the shot with his own work and 2] I don't subscribe to the notion that the team as a whole is better off finding roster spots for McGinn, Des or Legwand.

I envision a world in which someone like Legwand is entirely expendable (got other vet leaders, thanks), Des ain't desperately needed (given the team as a whole tough play and all the physical players upfront mingled thru the lines), and either one of McGinn/Foligno replace the other (me, I'd keep Foligno as the younger, with better numbers, better health history, and team draft). But then I also envision a world in which the 3rd and 4th lines could be interchangeable, running 8-12 mins a piece, depending on the player and special teams. So, even Reinhart transitioning to the NHL on the 4th line would give him far more real-world growth opportunity than an AHL year with prime ice-time.

But I "WANT" the kid to start in the AHL because this year seems primed to be all about Eichel first, O'Reilly and Kane second, then where the Ennis, Moulsons, etc. fit in going forward third. Reinhart is a second (or fourth) thought nowadays, but I think in the long run offers the club just as much longevity as Eichel, and possibly even more upside down the middle than O'Reilly. The long term could, and I believe will be, should things unfold without trades, a 1-2 punch of Eichel-Reinhart, with everyone else finding a spot or not.

But for now, while it's all ra-ra Eichel, Kane, O'Reilly, etc., let Reinhart live his own life, his own record, his own stats, his own ups/downs away from the spot light - and enter the NHL after the trade deadline or, better, next year altogether, as a savior in his own right. After Eichel, et. al. have had theirs, and when the media and fans need fresh blood to cheer on.

"should" and "want" are to very different things.

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
If you believe he should be somewhere for a reason, isn't that what you'd want? Which could end up being different than what happens ... ?

mikemcburn

Oct 23, 2013
If you believe he should be somewhere for a reason, isn't that what you'd want? Which could end up being different than what happens ... ?

Nah. Now you're talking three distinct things, lol.

Want, should and will.

People often want what they'd shouldn't, and what they want or what should be is often enough not what will happen.

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
Nah. Now you're talking three distinct things, lol.

Want, should and will.

People often want what they'd shouldn't, and what they want or what should be is often enough not what will happen.

I want Reinhart to start in Rochester. I think he should because I don't love the idea of third line wing, out of place, versus first line center off the bat.

I have a feeling the Sabres will keep him up and play him in the bottom six.

I guess the questions should align and be clearer. Sorry

sabresfan129103

1-4-6-14
Apr 10, 2006
Amherst, NY
He should be getting 3rd line minutes in the NHL, but since Bylsma is so dead set on Legwand being the 4th line center, it kind of pushes Sam out of the picture.

If that's the case let him play huge minutes for Rochester until an eventual injury happens to one of the guys on the big club.

So in answer to the OP I WANT him in Buffalo.

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
I think the best lineup for us to start the year leaves Reinhart as the 13th forward.

He shouldn't be in the press box. He should be on the ice. That should be in Rochester until someone goes down.

Dreakon13

Jun 28, 2010
Mighty Taco, NY
Kane-ROR-Ennis
Moulson-Eichel-Girgensons/Reinhart
McGinn-Reinhart/Girgensons-Gionta
Foligno-Larsson/Legwand-Des
Legwand/Larsson

I think that's probably the best case scenario to start the year, IMO. So I vote I'd want him to stay in Buffalo. With as long as ROR is signed for, and obviously Eichel isn't going anywhere, Reinhart either plays on one of their wings or centering the third line as long as ROR and Eichel stay ahead of him... and the answer isn't to keep him in the AHL for the next five years.

Reinhart went from looking a little lost, to dominating, on the rare occasion he spent time on Eichel's line in preseason so I think there's some chemistry there. His high hockey IQ gets him in all the right spots, and Eichel has the talent to get the puck there. And I don't think Girgs would look out of place centering the third line long term either (it may even be more appropriate with Girgs high adrenaline playing style if our third line is treated as a traditional "energy line")... of course, this is all assuming there's some kind of push to get Reinhart in the top 6 sooner.

Last edited:

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I think he's ready. That said, there doesn't appear to be an opening for him at forward, so sending him down to get maximum reps in key situations with the Amerks seems like the best way to continue his maturation process.

stokes84

Jun 30, 2008
Charleston, SC
Keep him here. He needs to acclimate to NHL speed. The AHL doesn't serve the same purpose for everyone. Reinhart needs to be around the best in order to improve the quickest he can.

Yatzhee

Aug 5, 2010

Give him a ton of minutes in all situations in Rochester. We have plenty of guys who can play up and down the lineup, like Girgensons or Larsson or Gio or McGinn... When inevitable injuries occur, you can call him up and put him in a situation more conducive to success and growth, and re-shuffle those versatile guys accordingly.

Agreed.

Deleted member 27798

Am I the only one concerned with Reinhart having a target on his back if he goes to the AHL and some career AHL goon who is never going to see the NHL, decides he wants to send a message to a highly rated prospect?

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Where do you WANT to see him, come the season opener?

In the mix with the big club, even if ice time won't be heavy?
Top dawg minutes in Rochester?

Curious where we sit as a group on this... I bet a lot of you will differ on what you want versus what you think actually happens... But for voting purposes, this is your personal preference, and not what you believe will end up happening.

He isn't getting sent down.

right now Buffalo has 13 forwards on their active roster.

McCormick will go on the IR to start the season and they will carry 8 Dmen.

Had they kept COR or Akeson up then you would have a debate.

It appears you have Girgensons, Larson, Reinhart, and McGinn fighting for 3 spots and make up the third line. This may be more of a McGinn vs Reinhart debate.

Could he be send down later--sure. If it appears that he is sitting in the press box.

Id rather have him play in Rochester than sit in the press box.

Disengage

Nov 11, 2007
For the absolute start of the season, have him on the roster in Buffalo for Thursday. he'll likely be scratched. Send him down Friday as the Amerks are home. Saturday the Sabres have a 1 PM start so call him up if needed due to injury, if not have him play with the Amerks at 7:30. Call him up and have him stay with the Sabres through the following week as the Sabres are in Florida and the Amerks are in Newfoundland.

Havok89

Oct 26, 2010
I only send him down if he's in the press box frequently. All it takes is one injury in the top 9 and he's our best option.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
I voted Buffalo.

I believe a 3rd line of 22, 28, and 23 is a perfect spot to break Reinhart into the pro game.

Agreed.

I don't think there's going to be a huge ice time difference between Eichel's line and that 3rd line anchored by Girgensons and Larsson. With some 2nd unit PP time, I think he'd be comfortably over 15 minutes of ice time per game. I'd submit that amount of ice time makes retaining him in Buffalo worthwhile--this is not a 20 minutes-or-bust proposition for me.

I'll say it again: I don't see what McGinn did to earn a spot over Reinhart. Sam was consistently more dangerous than McGinn, provides positional versatility that McGinn does not, performed well on FO's in the preseason (big for those defensive situations, especially faceoffs at the right defensive dot [Larsonn and Girgs are both lefties]), and is a better special teams player than McGinn (in both facets). I think it's pretty clear who the healthy scratch should be entering the first game, but Bylsma feels different, apparently.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad