Proposal: Reinhart + Risto for center

John Eichel da GOAT

Oct 7, 2008
Hmm, ill throw out a few potentials. I do think you need a center who is nowhere near Eichel skills wise which make trading for any center tough because there is a massive dropoff from a 1C to a 2C. And trading for a player who has more leadership experience is tough as well, but in a bubble, here are few whose teams might consider it if they could (NMC's), but also Sabres fans would potentially be happy with.

Zibanejad (NMC he would have to waive)
Monahan
Kopitar (NMC he would have to waive)
Toews (NMC he would have to waive)
RNH

Panthaz89

Buffalo Sabres, Carolina Panthers fan
Dec 24, 2016
Buffalo,NY
This doesn't make any sense you just create a hole for a center and also trade 2 valuable players for one...our depth already sucks we already know what teams are that have no good players but on the top line look like. We already have Mittelstadt(infact Sam looked really good on his wing) and now Cozens....why on earth would we be thinking about trading Reinhart who is restricted and is on a good contract?

Last edited:

Sabrebuff2020

Jun 30, 2019
Reinhart has always been too timid, slow and dainty for my liking,and he doesn't have the hockey IQ, shot or playmaking to make up for it.

He is basically the old slow Gretzky without the playmaking ability or IQ.

He might do decent as a #2 C if his wingers are high-end. Those wingers don't exist in Buffalo.

Two great centers down the middle is key is today's NHL. Look at Pittsburgh, Washington, Tampa Bay etc.

Buffalo's second best center last season was Johan "fourth line" Larsson.

I want a real change in Buffalo and would LOVE to give up Risto + Reino for something great.

Not sure what is realistic, but someone like Point, Aho or Zibanejad would not be a too crazy wish for that return.
He has one of the best hockey IQ on the Sabres he is alot smarter with the puck than Jack turnover Eichel

Hasekperreault23

Nov 23, 2018
Well, here's one:
How is that over rating him? I believe the proposal was Risto and Reinhart for Horvat? Reinhart and Horvat are a wash never mind adding Risto.Hughes is a prospect.Now he might be the best player of the bunch in a few years or he might be an AHLer.The above 3 have been in the league for a few years now with good success.Are you saying Reinhart is not better than Hughes at this point in his career? I honestly don't know what your trying to say or how this overrates him

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
Hmm, ill throw out a few potentials. I do think you need a center who is nowhere near Eichel skills wise which make trading for any center tough because there is a massive dropoff from a 1C to a 2C. And trading for a player who has more leadership experience is tough as well, but in a bubble, here are few whose teams might consider it if they could (NMC's), but also Sabres fans would potentially be happy with.

Zibanejad (NMC he would have to waive)
Monahan
Kopitar (NMC he would have to waive)
Toews (NMC he would have to waive)
RNH

Kopitar would be great- don't like losing Reinhart, but.. Kopitar.

BackhandToedrag

Oct 25, 2016
Reinhart has always been too timid, slow and dainty for my liking,and he doesn't have the hockey IQ, shot or playmaking to make up for it.

He is basically the old slow Gretzky without the playmaking ability or IQ.

He might do decent as a #2 C if his wingers are high-end. Those wingers don't exist in Buffalo.

Two great centers down the middle is key is today's NHL. Look at Pittsburgh, Washington, Tampa Bay etc.

Buffalo's second best center last season was Johan "fourth line" Larsson.

I want a real change in Buffalo and would LOVE to give up Risto + Reino for something great.

Not sure what is realistic, but someone like Point, Aho or Zibanejad would not be a too crazy wish for that return.
Point&Aho>>>zib not even close

PatrikBerglund

May 29, 2017
This doesn't make any sense you just create a hole for a center and also trade 2 valuable players for one...our depth already sucks we already know what teams are that have no good players but on the top line look like. We already have Mittelstadt(infact Sam looked really good on his wing) and now Cozens....why on earth would we be thinking about trading Reinhart who is restricted and is on a good contract?

How do you create a hole for a centre when you trade a winger + a defenceman FOR a center!?

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
The difference between Reinhart and Horvat isn’t Risto. Also moving Reinhart just opens up another hole. Sabres needs to keep quality forwards, not trade them away.

As a side note, a certain hot take on Reinhart is so far off you’d need a rocket and twenty years of flight to find it.

I did say I would expect a small add from Vancouver.. If for nothing else then simply to make the salaries match.

Horvat is the best player in the proposal & a perfect fit for Buffalo. Any proposal to get a player like that is going to hurt.

Panthaz89

Buffalo Sabres, Carolina Panthers fan
Dec 24, 2016
Buffalo,NY
How do you create a hole for a centre when you trade a winger + a defenceman FOR a center!?
we create a gaping hole on the wing I never implied we create a hole at center to fill a hole we create a new one at wing we don't have a dire need for a center now with all the center prospects we have there isn't a need big enough to trade quality players just to fill one at center.

obey86

Jun 9, 2009
The only players I would accept for that package if I was Botterill are legit 1C types in their early to mid-20s - meaning some of the best players in the league.

And, of course, those guys won’t be offered.

OPs version of Reinhart is odd.

Dainty? Samson isn’t going to punch or stick you, but he’s probably the Sabres bravest, most durable player. No one on the team gets into the tough areas and makes plays as much as he does. He takes a beating every night and rarely misses a shift.

How many people know that since Jan. 1 2018, he is among the top 50 scorers in the NHL, with similar totals to Larkin, Couture, Landeskog and Voracek?

Guy needs a good publicist.

Reinhart is certainly a good player, but he's a complimentary winger, being in the top 50 scorers or not. He was the 3rd best player on his own line last season.

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
Reinhart is certainly a good player, but he's a complimentary winger, being in the top 50 scorers or not. He was the 3rd best player on his own line last season.
Except the times where he was the best player on his line, also know as the part of the season when we actually had a good 2nd line because you can put any 2 NHL players next to Reinhart and get a good 2nd line out of it.

PatrikBerglund

May 29, 2017
we create a gaping hole on the wing I never implied we create a hole at center to fill a hole we create a new one at wing we don't have a dire need for a center now with all the center prospects we have there isn't a need big enough to trade quality players just to fill one at center.

We have upcoming wingers + Johansson who can fill top-6 but lack a high-end #2 C.

Not sure why ditching Reinhart is such a big deal to some people.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Wherever you live is someplace I'd never move to because broadcasts of Sabres games are clearly not available in that city. Sam is a complimentary winger? Good lord.

obey86

Jun 9, 2009
Except the times where he was the best player on his line, also know as the part of the season when we actually had a good 2nd line because you can put any 2 NHL players next to Reinhart and get a good 2nd line out of it.

So if Skinner is worth 9M, and Reihart is better, what is Reinhart worth? 10M a year? 11M? Good luck with that.

And no offense, but I take your opinion with a hugggge grain of salt. I believe you're the guy who thinks Reinhart is better than Eichel.

Aladyyn

Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
So if Skinner is worth 9M, and Reihart is better, what is Reinhart worth? 10M a year? 11M? Good luck with that.

And no offense, but I take your opinion with a hugggge grain of salt. I believe you're the guy who thinks Reinhart is better than Eichel.
I never said Reinhart was better than Skinner, I don't know where you got that from.

obey86

Jun 9, 2009
Wherever you live is someplace I'd never move to because broadcasts of Sabres games are clearly not available in that city. Sam is a complimentary winger? Good lord.

He finished 59th in scoring among all forwards in the league last year, playing mostly on a line with a 40 goal scorer and a borderline elite center. Do you think he's a star player or something? You'd be hard pressed to find a competent offensive winger who couldn't at least put up 50 points playing in that type of situation for most of the season.

obey86

Jun 9, 2009
I never said Reinhart was better than Skinner, I don't know where you got that from.

I said he was the 3rd best player on his own line last year, referencing the Skinner/Eichel line, and you disputed that. Now sure how else i'm supposed to take that, other than the fact you think he's a better player than one of Skinner or Eichel.

Aladyyn

Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
He finished 59th in scoring among all forwards in the league last year, playing mostly on a line with a 40 goal scorer and a borderline elite center. Do you think he's a star player or something? You'd be hard pressed to find a competent offensive winger who couldn't at least put up 50 points playing in that type of situation for most of the season.
Factually incorrect.

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY

No homer opinion of Reinhart - he drives play from the wing and produces with or without Eichel and Skinner. Ideally there's more top-six talent to help him form a legit 2nd scoring line, or match-up line against opponents' top lines. He's going to top out as a 70-80 pt winger that drives play...not complementary.

He probably shouldn't get Skinner money though, due to the stage of his career vs when Skinner signed, and other comparables like Draisaitl and Horvat (better and equal players making less than Skinner). Reinhart's deal would (hopefully) buy 4 UFA years, beyond when Draisaitl's contract expires. So even though Drai is better, 8.5 mil probably is close to fair considering the 3 extra years Reinhart would be under that contract.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
He finished 59th in scoring among all forwards in the league last year, playing mostly on a line with a 40 goal scorer and a borderline elite center. Do you think he's a star player or something?
Our fans are all but unanimous in our belief that Sam should be tried at center because he is capable of driving a line. Watch one of our games instead of looking at a stat sheet, or if you must look at stats look at his advanced metrics (which are far better at judging a player's value).

Reactions: Sabresfansince1980

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
I said he was the 3rd best player on his own line last year, referencing the Skinner/Eichel line, and you disputed that. Now sure how else i'm supposed to take that, other than the fact you think he's a better player than one of Skinner or Eichel.

Skinner is a better goal scorer and skater.

But, there are a lot of areas of the game where Reinhart is the superior player.

Last year, it was really a coin flip for who was the better player between those two.

Reactions: Sabresfansince1980

obey86

Jun 9, 2009
No homer opinion of Reinhart - he drives play from the wing and produces with or without Eichel and Skinner. Ideally there's more top-six talent to help him form a legit 2nd scoring line, or match-up line against opponents' top lines. He's going to top out as a 70-80 pt winger that drives play...not complementary.

He probably shouldn't get Skinner money though, due to the stage of his career vs when Skinner signed, and other comparables like Draisaitl and Horvat (better and equal players making less than Skinner). Reinhart's deal would (hopefully) buy 4 UFA years, beyond when Draisaitl's contract expires. So even though Drai is better, 8.5 mil probably is close to fair considering the 3 extra years Reinhart would be under that contract.

And until he does that, he's a 65 point winger when playing on a line with two players who had elite type years. When he can put up 65+ points over a full season as the best player on his line, we can take away the complementary label. He hasn't proven he can do that yet.

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
Our fans are all but unanimous in our belief that Sam should be tried at center because he is capable of driving a line. Watch one of our games instead of looking at a stat sheet, or if you must look at stats look at his advanced metrics (which are far better at judging a player's value).

It seems as though the front office is content to have him drive his line from the wing, which is fine by me as long as there's a legit top-six RW to play with Skinner and Eichel.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $25.00