Reimer requests to be traded

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
http://www.torontosun.com/2014/07/02/leafs-goalie-james-reimer-could-be-stuck-in-toronto-for-now

One of James Reimer’s last possible landing spots — other than at the end of the Toronto bench — was likely filled on Wednesday.

The Winnipeg Jets signed minor-league goalie Michael Hutchinson to a two-year deal, the second of which is a one-way contract. It signalled he’ll either back up or challenge Ondrej Pavelec for the No. 1 job. Pavelec seems to be on more solid ground as the starter and would be hard to trade at $3.9 million US the next few years.

Reimer, a Manitoba native, was no doubt eyeing that whole situation before he made his trade request to general manager Dave Nonis at the draft.

It’s believed the Leafs’ asking price from Winnipeg for the hot-and-cold Reimer has been steep. And while acknowledging the goalie’s trade request for the first time on Tuesday, Nonis struck more of a conciliatory tone than with other Leafs who are believed to be on their way out through trade or free agency.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Lets be clear about this.... I cant name 30 goalies that I would take before James Reimer. Maybe I could name 20 - 25, but hes solid.

Yeah he lets out rebounds way tooo much, but hes athletic, excellent lateral movement, and hes a fighter in the net.

In no specific order, but just off the top of my head:

1. Lundqvist
2. Quick
3. Price
4. Rask
5. Bernier
6. Crawford
7. Bobrovsky
8. Varlamov
9. Bishop
10. Luongo
11. Miller
12. Schneider
13. Hiller
14. Niemi
15. Fleury
16. Rinne
17. Howard
18. Mason
19. Harding
20. Halak
21. Smith
22. Lehtonen
23. Anderson
24. Holtby
25. Ward
26. Khudobin
27. Thomas
28. Elliott
29. Andersen
30. Jones
31. Lack
32. Scrivens
33. Pavelec
34. Reimer
35. Bryzgalov
36. Brodeur
37. Ramo
38. Montoya
39. Lehner
40. Neuvirth
41. Talbot
42. Emery
43. Kuemper
44. Stalock
45. Budaj
46. Zatkoff
47. Lindback
48. Hutton
49. Markstron
50. Giguere

Then you have guys like Allen and Gibson and maybe Tokharski pushing for jobs.

I don't think he has a starter's job in this league. The few above him and few below him are more or less interchangeable between 30ish and 50ish.

Last edited:

Teeder9

Free rent for Mo?
Oct 14, 2011
Ontario
In no specific order, but just off the top of my head:

1. Lundqvist
2. Quick
3. Price
4. Rask
5. Bernier
6. Crawford
7. Bobrovsky
8. Varlamov
9. Bishop
10. Luongo
11. Miller
12. Schneider
13. Hiller
14. Niemi
15. Fleury
16. Rinne
17. Howard
18. Mason
19. Harding
20. Halak
21. Smith
22. Lehtonen
23. Anderson

24. Holtby
25. Ward
26. Khudobin
27. Thomas
28. Elliott
29. Andersen
30. Jones
31. Lack

32. Scrivens
33. Pavelec
34. Reimer
35. Bryzgalov
36. Kuemper
37. Ramo
38. Montoya
39. Lehner
40. Budaj
41. Talbot
42. Emery

I don't think he has a starter's job in this league. The few above him and few below him are more or less interchangeable.

The first group of bolded are for sure better, and the last group I would like for the future over him, but I have a hard time taking any not bolded over him. He's equal to Scrivens IMO

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
The first group of bolded are for sure better, and the last group I would like for the future over him, but I have a hard time taking any not bolded over him. He's equal to Scrivens IMO

It's all kind of hazy down the list, but it just goes to show that there's a lot of guys low on the totem pole who also have decent claims to starter jobs. I tried throwing in a few more names I've missed too.

Teeder9

Free rent for Mo?
Oct 14, 2011
Ontario
It's all kind of hazy down the list, but it just goes to show that there's a lot of guys low on the totem pole who also have decent claims to starter jobs. I tried throwing in a few more names I've missed too.

For sure. There are 6 goaltenders you didn't list I would easily take over him for the future as well. I know it's not the same thing as they aren't starters, but it shows that he really was and is a stopgap. Hole is plugged. See ya

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Lets be clear about this.... I cant name 30 goalies that I would take before James Reimer. Maybe I could name 20 - 25, but hes solid.

Yeah he lets out rebounds way tooo much, but hes athletic, excellent lateral movement, and hes a fighter in the net.

I could name 30, easily.

a fighter in the net? Where was this fight when he went 0-12 down the stretch? Tell me again how it wasn't his fault. Was it all him? no, but he was a major factor

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
he's a 'fighter in the net' because he's constantly out of position. the best goalies make it look easy.

That's just it. He's constantly scrambling. His athletic ability allows him to get into position. And his rebound control is sub-par.
It was pretty obvious he was unhappy last year

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
he's a 'fighter in the net' because he's constantly out of position. the best goalies make it look easy.
YES
a fighter in the net? Where was this fight when he went 0-12 down the stretch?
YES
That's just it. He's constantly scrambling. His athletic ability allows him to get into position. And his rebound control is sub-par.
YES
It was pretty obvious he was unhappy last year
unhappy with his poor play ?

Reimer is a gentle flower. He doesn't seem to have the toughness for the NHL.
He needs a start elsewhere.

He is definitely not a starter in the NHL.

His flop around style is NEVER going to work in the NHL. He needs to come up with a different way of playing.

The Leafs should keep him as a backup unless something comes up.

airbus220

Feb 19, 2012

His flop around style is NEVER going to work in the NHL. He needs to come up with a different way of playing.

Expensive backup then. They better have traded him weeks ago for the best return, even only for a 6th round pick and then signed another good backup (Greiss, Johnson, Montoya) and would have saved money, cap space, the arbitration and would have another pick. Now they have to pay more for an unhappy Reimer.

Teeder9

Free rent for Mo?
Oct 14, 2011
Ontario
YES

YES

YES

unhappy with his poor play ?

Reimer is a gentle flower. He doesn't seem to have the toughness for the NHL.
He needs a start elsewhere.

Thanks for the recap. Couldn't have let someone say it better myself

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
The Leafs will have a tough time making a good quantitative/stats argument as to why Reimer shouldn't get close to Bernier's salary - and I've got a good feeling that arguments like "the other players aren't as confident when he's in net" isn't going to fly with the arbitrator.

The way he's become so vilified on these boards is pretty perplexing to me.

Brodeur is better then Reimer even at 45..

You know, except Reimer has a much better save percentage these lat few seasons. Good thing that doesn't matter for goalies!

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
Brodeur is better then Reimer even at 45..

Says the guy who last saw Martin Brodeur in a video game or a highlight reel pack from 5 years ago on YouTube...

Seriously.

1 - Go look at both of their numbers last year.

2 - Watch Brodeur play. He can't move..

eddieO

Jan 9, 2013
The Beach

It's just scapegoating, probably makes people feel better about how bad the entire team is.

I think Reims wins in arbitration and then cue the "but high glove/rebound control/swimming" chants will happen.

gabeliscious

Jan 8, 2009

its pretty obvious that for whatever reason nonis is digging his heels in on reimer and not moving him unless he gets something too good to be true.

imo i think nonis knows full well that he would be lucky to get a 2nd rounder for reimer. i suspect he is holding on to him because he knows reimer is >>> any other backup we are likely going to be able to sign, brodeur included. he figures might as well force him to play 1 more season at a cap friendly number then let him walk for free. it will at least give the leafs a chance to see what they have in bernier as well as look for a suitable long term backup goalie for leafs/bernier

nsleaf

Oct 21, 2009
Reimer's trade value is low at the moment. Too many good goaltenders out there and not enough jobs. He should just accept his role as back-up to Bernier, play hard when he get's the chance and his value will likely go up for next March trade deadline, win/win for he and the Leafs.

TankNationTillDeath

Pylon4Sale
Jan 10, 2014
Toronto
The Reimer deal is hinging on something.. whether it's Nonis needing to add one more piece or him waiting to get one other piece first, a deal is imminent.

Reimer/Kadri/Franson for Kane should get the deal done, and, plugs our holes.

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
I think the best we can hope to get for Reimer straight up is a young, less proven goaltender with potential.

Reimer for Hutchinson? I know the Jets are high on him though..

Anybody else that might fit the bill for a goalie swap?

Personally, I'm a-ok with having Reimer as the backup here. Guy is still pretty damn good. If he really doesn't want to be here, though...

DD03

3D
Mar 15, 2010
The Leafs will have a tough time making a good quantitative/stats argument as to why Reimer shouldn't get close to Bernier's salary - and I've got a good feeling that arguments like "the other players aren't as confident when he's in net" isn't going to fly with the arbitrator.

You know, except Reimer has a much better save percentage these lat few seasons. Good thing that doesn't matter for goalies!

Yeah because the Leafs haven't given up the most shots against the past 5 years. :laugh: Reimer can't catch.

Says the guy who last saw Martin Brodeur in a video game or a highlight reel pack from 5 years ago on YouTube...

Seriously.

1 - Go look at both of their numbers last year.

2 - Watch Brodeur play. He can't move..

Brodeur is in his 40s and can still play goalie. Reimer is in his prime and can't catch. Looking at their numbers are skewed because the Leafs give up the most shots ever. Reimer is over-rated. Seriously.

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
I think the best we can hope to get for Reimer straight up is a young, less proven goaltender with potential.

Reimer for Hutchinson? I know the Jets are high on him though..

Anybody else that might fit the bill for a goalie swap?

Personally, I'm a-ok with having Reimer as the backup here. Guy is still pretty damn good. If he really doesn't want to be here, though...

He doesn't want to be here and I don't think he has the mental makeup to be a backup

Cap'n Flavour

Mar 8, 2004
Flavour Country
Reimer's career sv% is .914 and that was the league-average last season (it was lower in previous years). So he is a roughly average goalie, below-average as a starter but good enough to be a 1B/good backup. He is also considerably better than ****ing Cam Ward, Ondrej Pavelec, or the rotting corpse of Martin Brodeur.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad