Reimer requests to be traded

Renegade

Jun 23, 2013
Pickering, ON
Was to be expected. Brought the team to the playoffs last season and then gets shanked by management. Believe me, I like Bernier better, but you can't help but feel for Reimer.

HockeyNightInBelfast

HockeyNightInBelfast
Mar 28, 2011
Belfast
www.facebook.com

Technically he has few rights as an RFA iso he may have to stew...

If the team doesn't have an appropriate suitor then his value / progress will continue to diminish.

Disappointing that a) Reimer has thrown the toys out of the pram & b) that Carlyle handled the goalie situation badly.

The sooner this soap opera comes to an end the better.

I liked Riemer but it's completely untenable now.

WinB4IDIE

Oct 22, 2007
Ontario
I never liked him as a goaltender he seems to have the same weaknesses he had 3 and 4 years ago, sure the team is lousy in front of him but basic things like rebound control and catching the puck seen to elude him.

Technically he has few rights as an RFA iso he may have to stew...

If the team doesn't have an appropriate suitor then his value / progress will continue to diminish.

Disappointing that a) Reimer has thrown the toys out of the pram & b) that current handled the goalie situation badly.

The sooner this soap opera comes to an end the better.

I liked Riemer but it's completely untenable now.

Gardiner Expressway

Dec 1, 2011
I don't know if it is Nonis' fault for not dealing with it earlier in the summer/at the draft or if he just had nobody to tango with, but I wish Reimer had been moved a lot earlier. I'm sure a lot of it has to do with Reimer being a RFA and not an UFA.

Limited options... lots of free agent goalies, few starting jobs available.

Not expecting more than a 5th-7th or some depth prospect for him.

Teeder9

Free rent for Mo?
Oct 14, 2011
Ontario
Not sure what he expects. We likely are holding on to him for part of the season regardless of what he wants and his play in that time will go a long way to being traded quickly or being demoted should it be bad

Fabs

Dec 19, 2005
Well I'm sure at least 1 team will offer up a 4th or 5th for him. I like Reimer, but he had his chance and he bombed.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Reimer always struck me a guy who said all the right things on the surface but really sulked and showed a lot of fragility, entitlement and a poor attitude.

Where does he see himself among the 60 NHL goalies and where does he expect to be a starter?

James Duthie

Kadri is 3 Hunna
May 1, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Reimer is terrible he's a big reason whuy we didn't make the playoffs. I am hoping he's gone I can't stand him.

Please tell me you're joking. I give credit for what he was able to do with the trash he had called defensemen in front of him, geez they couldn't clear a puck out to save their lives. Sucks that he wants to leave, I admire how he carried us during last years playoffs.

Hanta Yo

Bag it up
Jan 28, 2009
Toronto
Right. That stellar defense in front of him sure helped

Oh c'mon, Reimer had that terrible stretch of play right after Bernier went down. He wanted a chance to be number 1 over the season, and continuously went on to blow it. Defense didn't help, but that shouldn't all of a sudden be an excuse for his poor play.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Anyone still think he is better than Bernier?

I admit I like Bernier better but:

It's still too early to tell. Bernier may regress next season, and Reimer returns to form.

Even with last season being a down year for him - he still managed to put up just below league average save percentage, on a team that was giving up 35-45 shots on average a night. Trading him for a minimal return after is so frustrating.

Reimer is terrible he's a big reason whuy we didn't make the playoffs. I am hoping he's gone I can't stand him.

The leafs only had four wins in regulation during November-January. We were also routinly out-shot every game. The team overachieved big time last season, and deserved to be nowhere near a playoff spot. Reimer didn't lose anything for us.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
True but after Bernier went down with an injury Reimer didn't help much letting in soft goals every game.

Oh c'mon, Reimer had that terrible stretch of play right after Bernier went down. He wanted a chance to be number 1 over the season, and continuously went on to blow it. Defense didn't help, but that shouldn't all of a sudden be an excuse for his poor play.

The team was in shambles around him, he was a part of it, but thats just it; a PART. You can't fault him only, the defense was awful down the stretch.

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
Damned good goalie. Was one of the reasons leafs made the playoffs finally. The defense and coaching that last period against Boston was horrid. I put no blame on Reimer whatsoever for that collapse. Mismanaged and not given the reins as starter after destroyed his confidence. I think Bernier is the better goalie, but Reimer could have been given some better support. Good luck to him in the future.

Cmillz

Jun 25, 2009
What we should be asking is why a young guy who's apparently a great teammate, a battler, fights as hard as he can, a decent nhl backup who hasn't made it yet, has determined to risk his career by demanding a trade??

There is a problem here folks when good guys with decent ability (he could be a good backup) are asking to be put on a bus. I call the problem Randy Carlyle...he's the culture that apparently needs changing in my mind.

And no, I am not a Reimer fanboy at all...I think his rebound control and overall puck awareness is bad. But at a decent price is an okay backup.

Kyle93

Mar 30, 2012
I agree with that blasted, well except for Gards and Rielly IMO. They improved their play but it seemed everyone else in that D-corpse just collapsed.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
I truthfully don't understand why people go "the way management treated him."

The goal of management is to continually better yourself in every position. period. LA seems to poop out goaltending (ie: they had Quick, they had Bernier, they had Scrivens (from us), they had Martin Jones,). Bernier asked for a trade because he wanted to be a starter, therefore, the trade was made.

If Reimer had asked for the trade before the season started, and management did crap-all - then sure, you may have a point. If we're going to go back to that stupid "he played okay, just okay, no I played good." argument, then oh my god, get over it EVERYONE (including Reimer) played like poop.

Reimer now wants a chance to be a starter, and I don't know where that's gonna be where he's NOT going to have to fight for a chance. Everyone is doing a 1A 1B system unless it's OBVIOUSLY apparent who rules the crease (ie: Quick in LA, Crawford in Chicago, Schneider in New Jersey etc). And for the most part in a goalie market that is completely saturated at the moment (Miller, Hiller, etc) where... exactly does he want to go so he can be a #1 starter?

And quite frankly - I'd say this about any single player in any single position. If we can get better, than make the move to get better. It's like saying "Oh we have Joseph - we shouldn't make a move to get Roy, because Joseph got us to the third round twice."

[adding - this 1A 1B thing was split very evenly down the middle (yes Bernier had more chances after a bad game than Reimer, but as i've stated several times - find a loose-leaf or something, I went through this ad-nasuem. Reimer was the one who threw the gauntlet down first. He was the one everyone needed to step up their play -no excuses - and then his play was the one who started to slide. This is in december - Florida Game, Phoenix Game, Detroit Game - and that's where Bernier took the ball and ran with it].

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
Well certainly has come a long way from the guy just glad for his league minimum salary.

In the end probably best to do that. Don't think he's capable of playing the backup position. So best ship him out and for his sake hope he can hold down a starters job somewhere else.

Although in the end may have no choice but to deal with it. Didn't have much value with how the season went down (poor defense part of that sure), but it being clear he wants out only will diminish that further. Until they can sign a replacement backup he can sit.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad