Reimer requests to be traded

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
I think the reactions here are a little overboard. He'll be the first of many to file for arbitration, its a regular occurrence. His salary wont be outrageous, as statistically he had a poor season. At this point the goalie market is hard and a trade isnt likely until mid season regardless if he filed or not.

It's the fact he requested a trade and then filed for arbitration.

It's taking a mess, and making it messier.

bustaheims

Oct 30, 2012
you can move a player AFTER arbitration (the whole 1 year thing is only for offer sheets), but it prevents us from trading him before the hearing, and by then, every team will be set in goal.

There's nothing in the arbitration section of the CBA that says anything like this. In fact, there's nothing in that section of the CBA that illustrates any prohibitions on trading a player.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
You're right, it doesn't change anything, but if he didn't want to be on the team then after Nonis said he expects him in camp, this is his only respite from that. I think he fully expects to win the arbitration, and he might, which would then put him around Bernier's contract right now. It could be a case where he knows having a contract makes him easier to move as well, while the team may figure without a contract all he can do is go overseas. I'm rambling again

Right. but this is the thing though. if someone can validate this, i'd love it but i heard on leafs lunch (regarding Franson) - there's a certain dollar amount that teams can not walk from. so. say he gets Bernier money. Now - not only do we have to try to get some sort of value from him (and teams know he wants to be traded) we have to trade a gross contract as well.

and this is what irritates me and this was also on the radio - this is such an era of entitlement it's not even funny.

Reimer was the 'best' goaltender since Belfour - simply because everyone else we had was poop. But from the get go it was obvious that management didn't think he was a goaltender to build upon because they were trying to get BETTER GOALTENDING. And if he hangs his hat on the fact that he got the Leafs into the playoffs for the first time - then quite frankly, he's also the goalie of record who blew a 4-1 lead with 10 minutes to go. HE was the one who couldn't stop the puck.

this season when both goaltenders were struggling and trying to figure things out, Reimer was still getting some net. He was the one who called the team out and then he was the one whose play got worse. He went 0 and 12 in his last starts. His last game that he started was in Colorado, by the way in January. Everything else was taking over Bernier. and that 0 in 12 he couldn't even get ONE game into overtime or a shootout to give us a chance to win

And im tired of saying "yes but our defense." I don't care. the defense was crap all season - it doesn't excuse his poor positioning, his poor tracking, his horrendous rebound control, his 'battling' style (which causes him to lose a stick at least twice, on his stomach swimming at least twice). Healthy #1 goaltenders find a way to stop skids, and win pucks, specifically if THEY consider themselves #1 goaltenders and want to be traded to a team where he can have that chance.

Stephan said it pages ago - a LOT of teams are set up where even when there's a clear #1 - ther's always someone challenging and battling for the spot. when one falls, the other rises, and it's up to the other to come back and take their spot. (Detroit does it, New Jersey does it Washington does it, Montreal did it, Pittsburgh does it). I've been saying this for ages.:

If the only bad thing management did was not trade Reimer because they had Bernier, then no. that's not bad. Management was expecting Reimer to do what other goaltenders do and work to earn the #1 spot - regardless if Bernier was 'anointed' or not. And when given a chance to steal it, he treated it like he did with a puck, just rebounded it away.

the way I see it - what if this was what happened to Bishop? Say we clinched - and Bernier gets hurt. and the playoffs are around the corner. if Reimer played like he did down the stretch - are you really going "well Management broke his confidence?" or are you expecting him to do his damned job and win the games?

I don't like players who play like poop and then go to arbitration or sit out to get more money and then play like poop. (Franson i'm talking to you now :laugh:)

Deebo

Jan 28, 2005
Toronto
Right. but this is the thing though. if someone can validate this, i'd love it but i heard on leafs lunch (regarding Franson) - there's a certain dollar amount that teams can not walk from. so. say he gets Bernier money. Now - not only do we have to try to get some sort of value from him (and teams know he wants to be traded) we have to trade a gross contract as well.

and this is what irritates me and this was also on the radio - this is such an era of entitlement it's not even funny.

Reimer was the 'best' goaltender since Belfour - simply because everyone else we had was poop. But from the get go it was obvious that management didn't think he was a goaltender to build upon because they were trying to get BETTER GOALTENDING. And if he hangs his hat on the fact that he got the Leafs into the playoffs for the first time - then quite frankly, he's also the goalie of record who blew a 4-1 lead with 10 minutes to go. HE was the one who couldn't stop the puck.

this season when both goaltenders were struggling and trying to figure things out, Reimer was still getting some net. He was the one who called the team out and then he was the one whose play got worse. He went 0 and 12 in his last starts. His last game that he started was in Colorado, by the way in January. Everything else was taking over Bernier. and that 0 in 12 he couldn't even get ONE game into overtime or a shootout to give us a chance to win

And im tired of saying "yes but our defense." I don't care. the defense was crap all season - it doesn't excuse his poor positioning, his poor tracking, his horrendous rebound control, his 'battling' style (which causes him to lose a stick at least twice, on his stomach swimming at least twice). Healthy #1 goaltenders find a way to stop skids, and win pucks, specifically if THEY consider themselves #1 goaltenders and want to be traded to a team where he can have that chance.

Stephan said it pages ago - a LOT of teams are set up where even when there's a clear #1 - ther's always someone challenging and battling for the spot. when one falls, the other rises, and it's up to the other to come back and take their spot. (Detroit does it, New Jersey does it Washington does it, Montreal did it, Pittsburgh does it). I've been saying this for ages.:

If the only bad thing management did was not trade Reimer because they had Bernier, then no. that's not bad. Management was expecting Reimer to do what other goaltenders do and work to earn the #1 spot - regardless if Bernier was 'anointed' or not. And when given a chance to steal it, he treated it like he did with a puck, just rebounded it away.

the way I see it - what if this was what happened to Bishop? Say we clinched - and Bernier gets hurt. and the playoffs are around the corner. if Reimer played like he did down the stretch - are you really going "well Management broke his confidence?" or are you expecting him to do his damned job and win the games?

I don't like players who play like poop and then go to arbitration or sit out to get more money and then play like poop. (Franson i'm talking to you now :laugh:)

Teams cannot walk away from arbitration awards under 3.5M

Teeder9

Free rent for Mo?
Oct 14, 2011
Ontario
I agree. Athletes have been like this for years though. Maybe the best thing to do then is to just walk away and say good luck, with a parting shot of, "bad team player, shoot high glove".

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
I think the reactions here are a little overboard. He'll be the first of many to file for arbitration, its a regular occurrence. His salary wont be outrageous, as statistically he had a poor season. At this point the goalie market is hard and a trade isnt likely until mid season regardless if he filed or not.

I know. Not to mention, the arbitration will likely see him offered what is generally viewed as a fair salary. He doesn't deserve to be short sold by management.

Deebo

Jan 28, 2005
Toronto
It's probably not even going to get to a hearing, only ONE of the 60+ players who have filed in the last 3 years has actually gone to a hearing. My guess is that he is traded or signed before the hearing.

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
Teams cannot walk away from arbitration awards under 3.5M

thank you. i thought i was going insane

I agree. Athletes have been like this for years though. Maybe the best thing to do then is to just walk away and say good luck, with a parting shot of, "bad team player, shoot high glove".

or generally anywhere at him. he'll lose his stick, his glove, or a rebound will happen.

I know. Not to mention, the arbitration will likely see him offered what is generally viewed as a fair salary. He doesn't deserve to be short sold by management.

How, pray - was Reimer short sold by management? I think i've asked this question on every page - and the only answer has been "because he should have been traded when Bernier got here." to which I asked "why? and no one can answer.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Reimer is quite entitled. A guy like Cam Ward has lost his starting job to Khudobin but I don't see him pulling out his number one starter card. A guy like Fleury has struggled over the years and has lost his job to Tomas Vokoun in the playoffs. I didn't see Fleury taking his ball and going home. He stuck with it and reclaimed his job. Yet Reimer is so good he should be traded. You can't even name 5 teams Reimer would be a guaranteed starter on. The guy has a very inflated sense of career accomplishment and is too thin skinned to be a great goalie.

Oh, he lost his job on merit, got called "just ok" so he lost all confidence wet the bed again and asked to leave town?

Weak.

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
Reimer is quite entitled. A guy like Cam Ward has lost his starting job to Khudobin but I don't see him pulling out his number one starter card. A guy like Fleury has struggled over the years and has lost his job to Tomas Vokoun in the playoffs. I didn't see Fleury taking his ball and going home. He stuck with it and reclaimed his job. Yet Reimer is so good he should be traded. You can't even name 5 teams Reimer would be a guaranteed starter on. The guy has a very inflated sense of career accomplishment and is too thin skinned to be a great goalie.

Oh, he lost his job on merit, got called "just ok" so he lost all confidence wet the bed again and asked to leave town?

Weak.

100 percent agreed.
but remember, the Leafs treated Reimer badly [massive eyeroll]. it's not his fault, dont'cha know.

Hounsy

Dec 28, 2003
A wonderful location
Visit site
Reimer can not start in TO so it is in his best interest to want out, just as it was in the Leafs best interest to get the best goalie available which they did. All the people emotionalizing this issue are being silly this is just business and neither owes anyone anything other than looking out for number one.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Reimer can not start in TO so it is in his best interest to want out, just as it was in the Leafs best interest to get the best goalie available which they did. All the people emotionalizing this issue are being silly this is just business and neither owes anyone anything other than looking out for number one.

Well number one certainly isn't Reimer!

It just seems like all Reimer discussions are overly clouded with emotional teenagers who started watching him as little kids.

Reimer is terrible and responded in the worst possible way under pressure. He's got the temperament of a WJC Canadian goalie.

TheOneArmedMan

Jan 17, 2011
Technically he has few rights as an RFA iso he may have to stew...

If the team doesn't have an appropriate suitor then his value / progress will continue to diminish.

Disappointing that a) Reimer has thrown the toys out of the pram & b) that Carlyle handled the goalie situation badly.

The sooner this soap opera comes to an end the better.

I liked Riemer but it's completely untenable now.

Reminds me of how bad Wilson handled him and Gustavvson as well. Just hope our goaltending will finally be decent with Bernier but the coaches need to realize you can't rely on 1 goalie the whole season. Need to give the backups some playing time.

eddieO

Jan 9, 2013
The Beach
I love that "Leafs management thought they needed an upgrade in goal" is heralded as a sign of intellect. Leafs management has done nothing but fail for the last god knows how many years. They're suddenly smart now when it comes to our goaltending?

I don't mind him going to arbitration. I just hope he gets away from this mess of a situation. He was good for us even though he'll forever be hated by some people on this board.

BUT I'm happy with Bernier. I just hope we don't ruin him like almost every goalie we've had since Eddie.

Ratboy

I made a funny!
Jul 15, 2009
Well number one certainly isn't Reimer!

It just seems like all Reimer discussions are overly clouded with emotional teenagers who started watching him as little kids.

Reimer is terrible and responded in the worst possible way under pressure. He's got the temperament of a WJC Canadian goalie.

:laugh:

its true.

Turnbull Scores 5

Mar 29, 2014
Belleville Canada
A load of goalers have been through Toronto over the years, this guy I gotta say this, for someone as large in the net as he is, I've never seen a smaller goaltender, even Bester seemed to cover more ground than this cat...ah yes Felix those were the days....

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
Reminds me of how bad Wilson handled him and Gustavvson as well. Just hope our goaltending will finally be decent with Bernier but the coaches need to realize you can't rely on 1 goalie the whole season. Need to give the backups some playing time.

(sigh)

Bernier played 55 games (and started 49). Bernier played less games than a bona fide #1 (most analysts would say the #1 plays roughly 65 games a season)

Reimer played 36 games. (and started 32) Reimer played more games than a bona fide #2 (most analysts would say the #2 roughly plays around 17 games (or maybe shy of 20ish).

I am saying this again - clearly - one more time:

Management did not do a bad thing about creating a position of strength in goal. St Louis flat out said - Elliot and the kid who plays for the Admirals in the AHL - they're going to duke it out to see who is number one - is anyone going, "Oh well, that's not fair for Elliot. St Louis should trade him." Did anyone go "Well it's not fair on Halak and/or Elliot that St Louis and the media are implying that they needed better goaltending, and brought in Miller.

Cam Ward won a freaking cup, and you don't hear him complaining about losing the #1 position or asking for a trade. People laugh about how head-case-esque Fleury gets every time in the playoffs but you don't hear a. peep. from him (or anyone else) when Vokoun challenges him for the #1 - and you know for a fact if Vokoun wasn't suffering from blood clots this season, Bylsma probably tosses him into the Pittsburgh/NYR series.

Why the hell should the Leafs trade Reimer because Bernier came in? Why is it boohoohooo - Carlyle said Reimer played just okay and that's wrong - and Babcock flat out said that Howard was horrible. but because Carlyle has issues with players that's bad and he can't say anything, and Babcock is god among coaching and so he can say whatever.

Bernier was given a chance for the starter role, and he fumbled. Reimer had a chance for the starter role and he fumbled. Bernier got another chance. and he fumbled. Reimer was given a chance - HE played fine, the team was crap - and He called out the team.

Right here. See:

This is December 17th. Reimer gets the very next start - and while this was one of the rare games the Leafs played well - vs the Coyotes - Reimer was shaky, and he let in the most brutal of wraparound goals, and the Leafs win in a shootout I think.

the Reimer gets THE NEXT GAME which is vs. Detroit and this is significant because this is the preview of the winter classic. REIMER gets this game. not Bernier.

and this is how Reimer played:

(please note - the second Det goal was the exact same goal the Coyotes scored on him not even 48 hours prior).

Then [i ignore the 4 games when everyone was horribad because the dressing room had the flu, and the only reason why i excuse this is because no one on the team used this as an excuse it only came to light during the winning streak]. Bernier got lit up in Dallas, and Reimer had a chance to at least stop the bleeding and doesn't -(he was even worse than Bernier), so both players sucked - we're in Winnipeg, and who gets the start?

Why - that would be Reimer. And how does he play in front of friends and family?

then the next time we see our poor-mistreated goaltender, he puts on a clinic in LA showing everyone yes he has the moves. And apparently, between LA and Washington - Reimer lost ALL confidence in his starting abilities (we'll ignore the fact that Reimer JUST stole the show in LA, robbing Kopitar point blank like 3 times and everything. he's embittered and demoralized now). And couldn't freaking win a start in 12 chances to end the year.

What freaking ever. Management treated Reimer badly my eye. Both goalies were playing in front of the same defense. Both goalies called out the team (Bernier did it like every single time he was on the radio when asked about the defense ). the difference was Bernier raised his game up when facing the challenge of wanting to be the #1 and Reimer pouted when he couldn't be #1 anymore. So yes. go to arbitration, get your money and leave this freaking team - because quite frankly, for me - I don't care that you "got us to the playoffs." I care more that you couldn't stop ONE puck in 10 minutes to ensure that we win. I care that during the 18 wheeler you couldn't at least once - stop the bleeding, and I care that during this meltdown in 12 freaking starts - you couldn't even get ONE game into overtime.

but you know that's management's fault. not the guy who actually played.
(and whatever with our defense. Bernier faced the same defense and managed to play fine before having to come back and play with a sports hernia).

leafsfuture

Mar 30, 2008
LOL at people who are upset.

Reimer will get a crap arbitration award -- no way he gets to even $2 million. So we take his salary for under 2 mill and we get one of the leagues best backups.

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
LOL at people who are upset.

Reimer will get a crap arbitration award -- no way he gets to even $2 million. So we take his salary for under 2 mill and we get one of the leagues best backups.

tumblr_lo40pt5L221qmad05o1_500.gif

okie dokes there.

leafsfuture

Mar 30, 2008
tumblr_lo40pt5L221qmad05o1_500.gif

okie dokes there.

Lets be clear about this.... I cant name 30 goalies that I would take before James Reimer. Maybe I could name 20 - 25, but hes solid.

Yeah he lets out rebounds way tooo much, but hes athletic, excellent lateral movement, and hes a fighter in the net.

Ratboy

I made a funny!
Jul 15, 2009
he's a 'fighter in the net' because he's constantly out of position. the best goalies make it look easy.

HEAVY DUTY

Thanks to denial, I’m immortal.
Jul 10, 2010
Toronto, ON
god i dont want reimer in a leafs uni anymore. so tired of the bernier vs reimer debates this past season.

ugh. **** you james. :rant:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad