Reilly Smith

Colinsteadbruinsfan

Newfie Bruin
Nov 15, 2014
Regina, SK
Although I like Smith, this is how I see it too. Unfortunately (I may be way wrong), but I think we all have too high of hopes on big, roster alterring moves that are going to be made in the off season that just arent going to happen. I think we're going to be looking at this come next season start:

March Berg Smith

Eriksson Krejci Connolly

Lucic Spooner Pasta

X Talbot X

I really doubt Soderberg or Kelly will be back (odd men out, and saves $).

I think the probability is Smith isn't moved straight off, and is put back with Berg and March (where he seems to look the best). ...and he's reassessed during the season/ up to trade deadline. (Unless he is made a part of an attractive deal somewhere) ...considering we dont know whether he over-performed the previous year, or under-performed this year (like most others), I'd be ok with that choice, and see how he fairs. If the season is not looking much better than this past year, I'd say he'll be the first one moved after the first quarter.

Personally, I think the first additions will be in backup for Rask, a cheap D-man, and maybe a 4th line addition. I doubt we'll see much else til well into the season.

Unfortunately, thats not only what I think should be done. .....thats just what I'm expecting to see happen. I hope I'm wrong, because we really need some size/toughness up front apart from Lucic as well.

This lineup has potential , but I believe smith and lucic should also be moved and replaced by other parts . Lucic is way to expensive to be on the 3rd line. And smith just don't do it for me especially not on line 1 .

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
Smith deserves the same patience as all the other stiffs on this team last year . Move him to improve sure , but he's hardly the POS many are making him out to be . 3.4 mil for 50 pts or do is the going rate . Get him away from Claude and he's even better ,

BadBruins

Aug 10, 2005
PEI
More assists forwards wise then everyone not named Bergeron or Soderberg

More hits than forwards Bergeron, Eriksson, Marchand.

More blocks than forwards Lucic, Marchand, Eriksson and Soderberg

More take aways than anyone not named Bergeron, Marchand or Eriksson.

Keep[ up the he does nothing when not scoring goals though, I'm enjoying it.

Good post. Sometimes I feel like I'm the only pro Reilly Smith poster. Some people make it seem like he's a Mark Mowers clone playing on the 2nd line leaching points from Marchand and Bergeron. Small, soft, slow, and stupid putting up 51 and 40 points in the NHL at 22 and 23.

Only difference between this year and last year for Smith is the dip in SH%. I said the same thing last season with Eriksson. His SH% went fom .087 (10 Goals) to .130 (22 goals). Used the same argument for Seguin's SH% anomaly in the 2013 playoffs.

I happen to think Smith has top-6 level hands and finish though. Not a natural scorer or volume shooter, but he's much better than he showed this past season around the net. Plays both wings. The point on the PP. NOT afraid of contact. Good hockey sense. Sure, he's probably a middle six player on a contender, but I honestly don't think see the hindrance.

He just completed his 2nd full NHL season. 3rd Pro season (21-23). I think he'd be viewed a lot different had he been drafted by the Bruins.

Man Rocket

88+73
Jul 12, 2011
Smith to NJ for Jon Merrill

Smith to ARI for Brandon Gormley

Smith to NSH for Mathias Ekholm

Smith to FLA for Alex Petrovic

Smith to OTT for Jared Cowen

Just tossing some ideas out there for similarly aged D help. Obviously not all work 1 for 1 and either we would add or the other team in some cases.

Last edited:

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
Smith-Krejci-Eriksson

Marchand-Bergeron-Pastrnak

Lucic-Spooner-Connolly

Switch 88 and 14 if you want.

That's a pretty good top 9 if all play as they are capable.

I would put Smith on the left side, and on the PP, 2nd team, on the right half wall setting up the o zone like Spooner does. You guys really underrate his smarts, hockey sense and compete level.

Estlin

Sep 25, 2013
New York City
Dude is a workout beast, very committed to the game. You never hear him complain regardless of the line he's on. There's a lot to like about this young man, he just needs to overcome the mental part of the game. Let's give him 1-2 years to grow into the player a lot of people think he can be. But even if he's a 15-20g guy, he's worth the current money.

I'll tell you this much, 90% of this board would have wanted Chiasson over him in the deal. Well Chiasson is hovering between line 3-4 and scratched on that Ottawa team. He's done nothing and shows no signs of doing anything. So we did get the better of the two players there.

I don't think that's true. People here (including me) wanted Chiasson (or Ritchie or a 1st or Oleksiak) over Fraser. Smith had nothing to do with it.

Eddie Munson

This year is my year. I can feel it. ‘86 baby!
Jul 11, 2008
Smith to NJ for Jon Merrill

Smith to ARI for Brandon Gormley

Smith to NSH for Mathias Ekholm

Smith to FLA for Alex Petrovic

Smith to OTT for Jared Cowen

Just tossing some ideas out there for similarly aged D help. Obviously not all work 1 for 1 and either we would add or the other team in some cases.

Like it.

Wouldn't mind them looking at moving Loui instead though. He's on an expiring contract, regained some value and saves the Bruins an extra Million. Trying to move him and Seids and either sign a #3 D to play with Krug or use them in a package to trade for one would revamp this D and clear some salary.

I just get the feeling Smith is too young and had a down year on a struggling team during his sophomore season. If he ever regained rookie year form I have a feeling we'd wish we traded Eriksson instead. That's all just my opinion though.

KnightofBoston

Mar 22, 2010
The Valley of Pioneers
Smith deserves the same patience as all the other stiffs on this team last year . Move him to improve sure , but he's hardly the POS many are making him out to be . 3.4 mil for 50 pts or do is the going rate . Get him away from Claude and he's even better ,

Part of the problem is having patience with the stiffs though

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Like it.

Wouldn't mind them looking at moving Loui instead though. He's on an expiring contract, regained some value and saves the Bruins an extra Million. Trying to move him and Seids and either sign a #3 D to play with Krug or use them in a package to trade for one would revamp this D and clear some salary.

I just get the feeling Smith is too young and had a down year on a struggling team during his sophomore season. If he ever regained rookie year form I have a feeling we'd wish we traded Eriksson instead. That's all just my opinion though.

Completely with you on this.

Buying high and selling low is a recipe for disaster. I think this past season and the WC's restored a lot of Loui's trade value, whereas you would be dealing Smith at his lowest point.

Man Rocket

88+73
Jul 12, 2011
Completely with you on this.

Buying high and selling low is a recipe for disaster. I think this past season and the WC's restored a lot of Loui's trade value, whereas you would be dealing Smith at his lowest point.

I would entertain dealing Loui over him, he's older and going to cost more next year. As long as the return is right.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
I believe that the B's could get significantly more for Loui than Smith, but I could be completely full of it? My wife and kids think so :laugh:

It took me 23 days to lose 9 lbs dude. :cry:

I think dealing Loui hurts the Bruins more than it does Smith however, but his trade value will never be higher, unless maybe the deadline if he keeps it up..

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
I would entertain dealing Loui over him, he's older and going to cost more next year. As long as the return is right.

I just like that Lou can be used in every situation and scored some big goals for us this season and he just seems to get better all the time, I'd expect him to be close to his Dallas form next year. If Soda is gone then he will have better linemates next year, what could have he done this year in top6 role? (10points in the world championships)

Also the problem is that he's stats are down and teams will look at that and he is UFA after next year, I really doubt we could win that trade unless he is used in a package.

Lou can be used in top6 without problems and in few years he could be important depth player for us. I'd like to have depth players who aren't past their prime and can contribute.

Last edited:

Man Rocket

88+73
Jul 12, 2011
I just like that Lou can be used in every situation and scored some big goals for us this season and he just seems to get better all the time, I'd expect him to be close to his Dallas form next year. If Soda is gone then he will have better linemates next year, what could have he done this year in top6 role?

Also the problem is that he's stats are down and teams will look at that and he is UFA after next year, I really doubt we could win that trade unless he is used in a package.

Lou can be used in top6 without problems and in few years he could be important depth player for us.

what are you giving him on his next deal?

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
what are you giving him on his next deal?

That's a tough one, I'd re-sign him now if they want to keep him and if he wants to stay here, we get him on a cheaper deal and he and his family would get security. Doubt he wants to start the season as UFA. Somewhere in the 3.5-4.2M range.
Don't know how much will the cap go up in the next few years.

If he is not in their plans he would be a top deadline target and we would get a nice return. Lots of contenders could use a player you can play in any situation.

For me he'd be a lot better 3rd line depth player than Kely, his talent level is so much higher.

Man Rocket

88+73
Jul 12, 2011
That's a tough one, I'd re-sign him now if they want to keep him and if he wants to stay here, we get him on a cheaper deal and he and his family would get security. Doubt he wants to start the season as UFA. Somewhere in the 3.5-4.2M range.

If he is not in their plans he would be a top deadline target and we would get a nice return. Lots of contenders could use a player you can play in any situation.

For me he'd be a lot better 3rd line depth player than Kely, his talent level is so much higher.

Loui or Smith? Because no way Loui takes a deal that low. He's turning 30 and will want to cash in on his last big contract. Depending on how he preforms this season I can see him getting 4-5 years 5-5.5m per. You know he will get that or more on the open market.

Fire Sweeney

Jun 16, 2009
Bergen

At least 20 teams will have interest in Eriksson. He's getting at least 5 per if he hits the market.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be

Loui is easily in the 4 year 22 mil territory IMO...and even that may be low.

1st line winger.
1st unit PK
1st unit PP
20+ minutes a night of safe, solid hockey .

The other 29 GM's know how he is being misused here. How many world settings will it take our brass to see this guy is a pure scorer with skill guys ?

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Loui or Smith? Because no way Loui takes a deal that low. He's turning 30 and will want to cash in on his last big contract. Depending on how he preforms this season I can see him getting 4-5 years 5-5.5m per. You know he will get that or more on the open market.

At least 20 teams will have interest in Eriksson. He's getting at least 5 per if he hits the market.

He will get a lot of intrest and that should also show us that he's a player we could use.

But much of it depends does he want security and peace for his family or is he after the max money?

If you give him 4.2-4.5 this offseason would he say know knowing that he don't have to move his family? He's made tens of millions and will make millions with that.

Stone Clode

Kicks him, stunner!!
Jun 1, 2010
Swansea, MA
Loui is easily in the 4 year 22 mil territory IMO...and even that may be low.

1st line winger.
1st unit PK
1st unit PP
20+ minutes a night of safe, solid hockey .

The other 29 GM's know how he is being misused here. How many world settings will it take our brass to see this guy is a pure scorer with skill guys ?

I've honestly never seen a team misuse a guy so badly before. You traded a franchise player for the guy, and then stick him on the 3rd line for this preconceived notion of "chemistry". It's absolutely asinine. They give him a ton of minutes on both special teams units but refuse to give him top even strength minutes with actual top line guys. It's idiotic.

Fire Sweeney

Jun 16, 2009
Bergen
He will get a lot of intrest and that should also show us that he's a player we could use.

But much of it depends does he want security and peace for his family or is he after the max money?

If you give him 4.2-4.5 this offseason would he say know knowing that he don't have to move his family? He's made tens of millions and will make millions with that.

What if he knows he can get 5.5 from a contending team instead ?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad