Reilly Smith

DitClapper

May 15, 2014
Hasn't looked like a top RWer for a long time. 2nd half of last season he scored like 3 or 4 goals. He's a 2nd/3rd line tweener.
Flash in the pan. A Jimmy Garoppolo.

Last edited:

A Healthy Kelly*

he has really soft hands and is very good at finding lanes through crowds when he needs to put a shot through. he is not that strong on the puck and doesn't protect it very well. he skates well with the puck however (he stays upright and maintains vision). he doesn't weigh enough and isn't strong enough to fight 1-1 to drive the net. he is never going to drive the net well.

he is going to quietly score 20 goals in a bunch of seasons.

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Fading out, thanks for the times.
Oct 31, 2008
Hasn't looked like a top RWer for a long time. 2nd half of last season he scored like 3 or 4 goals. He's a 2nd/3rd line tweener.
Flash in the pan. A Jimmy Garoppolo.

He's never looked like a top line winger, nor was expected to be.

Jean_Jacket41

Neely = HOF
Jun 25, 2003
With the smurfs
Not fair to single out Smith. You have to put Marchand and Bergy in there too. All three are playing sub-par right now and it's hurting the team. Once that line stop ending games in the "-" and get back to their usual "+" or even, this will go a long way getting back these W's in bunch. Especially with the Krejci+Yeti lines doing well right now.

As for Smith, he can give much more. And if he puts that open net PP shot in the goal instead of crossbar in the 1st, this is a different game and maybe Chara doesn't injure himself with the butterfly effect. :amazed:

Besides being able to sign him for cheap next off-season, there is no good thing about Smith play right now. Just like his whole line...

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
I've never thought he looked bad, even late last year. Always seems to carry his weight but looks like a very streaky scorer. That entire line is clearly laboring right now with what is probably a Bergeron injury though. Crazy how big of an impact he can have.

qc

Aug 23, 2011
Not fair to single out Smith. You have to put Marchand and Bergy in there too. All three are playing sub-par right now and it's hurting the team. Once that line stop ending games in the "-" and get back to their usual "+" or even, this will go a long way getting back these W's in bunch. Especially with the Krejci+Yeti lines doing well right now.

As for Smith, he can give much more. And if he puts that open net PP shot in the goal instead of crossbar in the 1st, this is a different game and maybe Chara doesn't injure himself with the butterfly effect. :amazed:

Besides being able to sign him for cheap next off-season, there is no good thing about Smith play right now. Just like his whole line...

Clode pretty much said the line is meh, but Smith is "falling behind" or something to that effect. I couldn't agree more.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
Smith is doing fine...Should have scored again but Chad Johnson robbed him cold.

He'd be elite if he had a real finisher on his other wing right now IMO...

Marchand is the missing guy here.

Then again Smith isn't a fathead guy around here so I guess the fact his late camp arrival with ne ignored?

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
he has really soft hands and is very good at finding lanes through crowds when he needs to put a shot through. he is not that strong on the puck and doesn't protect it very well. he skates well with the puck however (he stays upright and maintains vision). he doesn't weigh enough and isn't strong enough to fight 1-1 to drive the net. he is never going to drive the net well.

he drove the net like a mother****er on that preseason goal against the Isles. If he played every shift with that kind of desire he could score 40.

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
Smith is doing fine...Should have scored again but Chad Johnson robbed him cold.

Then again Smith isn't a fathead guy around here so I guess the fact his late camp arrival with ne ignored?

not like you to make excuses for guys. You've even called out Bergeron when others wouldn't touch him. I love Smith when he's on, but lately he has been really ineffective. needs to be much better. I mean he's being outplayed by Griffith right now.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
not like you to make excuses for guys. You've even called out Bergeron when others wouldn't touch him. I love Smith when he's on, but lately he has been really ineffective. needs to be much better. I mean he's being outplayed by Griffith right now.

He's on his SIM protecting his assets:laugh:

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be

Uh, I know... but I have his #18 jersey tee on right now and this talk upsets me..:)

I really want to see him with Looch and DK..

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
he drove the net like a mother****er on that preseason goal against the Isles. If he played every shift with that kind of desire he could score 40.

Yeah that's a good point... I have been disappointed with his "drive".. I thought he turned it up a notch in the play-offs and got way more dirty, but this year he's been beyond perimeter.

weaponomega

Feb 9, 2004
Calgary, Alberta
He needs to start shooting more. He fell into this type of play early last season where he wasn't taking any shots. Once he started to shoot he started to score. He's got a very nice shot that is quite accurate - he just needs to use it.

BigBear83

Jan 29, 2013
Haverhill, NH
He needs to start shooting more. He fell into this type of play early last season where he wasn't taking any shots. Once he started to shoot he started to score. He's got a very nice shot that is quite accurate - he just needs to use it.

agreed. i actually think hes been solid.. a lot of those lines rushes have been blown up by marshy trying to deke through three guys .. or pucks blowing up on all three of their sticks.. they will heat up and be a dominant line once again..

Sea Bass Neely

Jun 6, 2013
Rhode Island
One thing i like about Smith is that even when he isn't playing well, when he appears lethargic or ineffective, he still manages to largely avoid major mistakes. It speaks to the kid's hockey sense and intelligence that even during a scoring drought (like the latter part of last season) when he's not living up to his potential, he's typically a lot more "meh" or just plain invisible than he is "glaring liability" relative to the rest of the team.

Obviously he's human, a 2nd year player no less, and he is going to make errors on occasion. I just get the perception that no matter how poorly he is playing, he finds a way to avoid the more costly, glaring mistakes that even the most casual of fans might notice.

Given that "player A" is playing poorly, it's always better for that player to be relatively invisible than to be very visible/noticeable... in a BAD way. In a perfect world, Smitty would play like he is capable of every period of every game; but alas this is not a perfect world.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut

Elite???

With Bobby Hull in his prime I don't think anyone would be calling Smith elite.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut

Has a lot to do with having to play on his off-wing.

qc

Aug 23, 2011
That whole line looks off.
Something isn't right with Bergeron and I think it starts there.

Yeah I'm with ya. His faceoff numbers have been phenomenal, but something is off. I'm just speculating, but maybe injured his neck/head against Detroit (the game when he went to the quiet room).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad