Reilly Smith

OutspokenMinority*

i have concluded that they are better off moving him. he just doesn't bring enough to the table and should be rather easily replaceable. i would take a 2nd round pick for him.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
Really? Maybe I'm just overly optimistic of Connolly but I saw more grit and battle in the few games with him than ever with Smith. Of course, Smith is no Seguin or Kessel but always got the impression his board play is half hearted.

Both are the same age and Smith is light years better than Connolly IMO.

Connolly had a nice burst when here, but will he keep it up? Took some stupid penalties too btw.

Would like to see both on a line with Krejci tbh.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Both are the same age and Smith is light years better than Connolly IMO.

Connolly had a nice burst when here, but will he keep it up? Took some stupid penalties too btw.

Would like to see both on a line with Krejci tbh.

nowhere near enough of a sample size with Connolly here yet. Came to a new team, got injured, then had some games at the end of the year where I saw what I have seen a ton of times from those traded in the past, try and impress immediately, maybe get a little too wild or rambunctious in doing so, gets called for some penalties

I liked his game, given time to actually practice without Seids breaking a finger:) I think he could be a very nice addition

Showed one thing, solid puck pursuit and a willingness to get his nose dirty. Now, if were sitting here at game 20 next year and he`s done nothing, then perhaps I`d have some worries but until that time, I`ll wait and see how he does with a full training camp and some more time to get comfortable with the city, his new teammates and the system

RedeyeRocketeer

Jan 11, 2012
Canada
been posting here over 10 years and the bold line is maybe the biggest thing I've seen fans continuously fail to understand.

So many people on this board want third line guys to produce like elite forwards yet get paid like third liners.

there it is. That's a top 3 problem on HF for sure.

Caper Bruins fan

Dec 4, 2011
Cape Breton
nowhere near enough of a sample size with Connolly here yet. Came to a new team, got injured, then had some games at the end of the year where I saw what I have seen a ton of times from those traded in the past, try and impress immediately, maybe get a little too wild or rambunctious in doing so, gets called for some penalties

I liked his game, given time to actually practice without Seids breaking a finger:) I think he could be a very nice addition

Showed one thing, solid puck pursuit and a willingness to get his nose dirty. Now, if were sitting here at game 20 next year and he`s done nothing, then perhaps I`d have some worries but until that time, I`ll wait and see how he does with a full training camp and some more time to get comfortable with the city, his new teammates and the system

True ,wouldn't be surprised where he eventually winds up :1st line RW or on the 4th line. Really haven't seen enough of him to make any assessment.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
i have concluded that they are better off moving him. he just doesn't bring enough to the table and should be rather easily replaceable. i would take a 2nd round pick for him.

And what are the chances of a 2nd rounder becoming a 40-50 point player?

From

2007: 1 (Simmonds)
2008: 0
2009: 1 (ROR)
2010: 1 (Toffoli)
2011: 2 (Saad and Kutcherov)
2012: 0
2013: 0
2014: 0

Thats 5 out of 240. I know including those last three drafts isn't fair. And obviously you can draft a D instead. But even if its 5 out of 50 instead of 5 out of 240... I don't know if what world 10% chance is better than a 100% chance. There are better places to cut cap space. Not saying we should ever deal Smith...but not for that.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
I'd rather see us keep Smith and let him prove last year was a 2nd year jinx. But, I think he would make a good sweetner in a deal. He's still young and has a 50 point season under his belt and to a team that's rebuilding and money to spare, he would be an attractive piece.

Mpasta

Oct 6, 2008
Almost all players in the NHL struggle with consistency. Those that aren't are ppg or 40 goals scorers.

Smith can play on my team. Even if he doesn't take the next step in his development and stays a 15-20g/40-50pts players, that is already worth his new contract.

Then, there is also the possibility that he do take the next step and improve to say 20-25g/50-60pts. In that case, the same people that are whinning now would whine again because he was only signed to a 2y extension and can now ask for 5M...

I disagree and here's why...

The Bruins never should have signed him to an extension. He didn't do anything to earn it but Chia didn't care. Chia's the same guy who signed Kelly to a ridiculous contract because he did decent for half of one season ever.

Luckily the people who I've been complaining about for 3 years are finally leaving.

I'm just going to be pretty upset if they don't trade Smith (which they won't) or Kelly AGAIN this offseason but trade somebody important instead.

Full Disclaimer: If Smith scores 25+ goals then I will change my avatar to his mug. I don't have anything against the kid but I just don't see it. Maybe I'm missing something but I watch every single game and he never impresses me.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad