Proposal: Reilly Smith to Buffalo for Chris Stewart and a 2nd rd draft pick

Status
Not open for further replies.

member 96824

As I said, not an expert by any means.

But these guys do get paid to do this for a living:
http://frozennotes.com/2014/chris-stewart-so-talented-so-inconsistent.html

as does Hitchcock who was consistently moving Stewart down to the 4th line to get him going, even benched him for a playoff game against the Kings, when scoring was what they needed the most.

Stewart doesn't score in the playoffs and we all know the story with fighting in the playoffs.

Danton Heineken

Howard Potts
Mar 11, 2007
Fall River
I don't care who the **** you are playing with. If you are getting paid 4 million dollars a year and you have put up 2 points in 20 games without being injured in any way, I don't want you on my team.

There are 472 players in the NHL that have scored more points than him so far. I'm willing to bet a vast majority of them are getting paid less than Stewart is. And many of them are playing a much less significant role on their team and are getting significantly less ice time as well.

But he's a pawahh fowahhd and a provan goal shhcorahh we need more a those! Lewchick hasn't scawd fawty and he makes 6 million!

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
As I said, not an expert by any means.

But these guys do get paid to do this for a living:
http://frozennotes.com/2014/chris-stewart-so-talented-so-inconsistent.html

as does Hitchcock who was consistently moving Stewart down to the 4th line to get him going, even benched him for a playoff game against the Kings, when scoring was what they needed the most.

Stewart doesn't score in the playoffs and we all know the story with fighting in the playoffs.

Yeah, but you only know that cause you looked at his hockeydb page. Where you can see he sucks in the playoffs.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Contrarian number two lol. The fact is that the last two guys on that line were big, snipers, and yes, could fight. Nice covert way of insulting the posters who like Stewart or fighting in the nhl. Good job! :yo:

Why not just be honest about why you want him? Much easier argument to make than to suggest he's going to reclaim a long lost scoring touch, isn't it? :laugh:

It never ceases to amaze me how dishonest the pro goon crowd is with their motivations for adding a player. It's okay. You like staged fights. Be honest about it and most people would have more respect for that point of view, or the way you've argued the point. Instead you go out of your way to talk about his ability to score, even though he hasn't been that guy for years, and it's all because you really want a goon. Seems more than a touch disingenuous, no?

Shoebottom

Bruin exiting lair
Aug 31, 2005
7 steps from my can
The contrarian? Which one of us seems to be arguing with 90% of this thread?

And what gender is "Mike" usually assigned in Canada?

Putting down your stats mumbo jumbo? What are his stats this season? The season you want him on the team?

Some guys respond, some guys don't.

I get the argument for trading for him, you just keep saying things that aren't true and aren't a part of that argument. All while insulting and scoffing at people that have watched him play a lot. And brushing aside anything that points to this not being a good move.

Don't know his name. Not my chum. Are you making fun of Canada now or just being ignorant? And what part of him scoring 28 goals twice and being big is not true? Guy scoffed at me first so I felt fit to return the favor. Everything was going well till mike butt in.

Lobster57

Nov 22, 2006
Victoria, BC
But, but, but he's big and physical, and he likes to fight. He fits every need the team has an opening for. You know, they want to get faster, so adding another slow guy is the answer. They want to score more, so adding a guy who can't score to save his life anymore is the answer.

Basically, this is a covert way the mouth breathing, knuckle draggers can use to get a guy who is willing to fight on the team, since all they care about are fights. Stewart brings zero to the table that they don't already have in spades. He's not the answer, ever.

totally agree with this. I'm a big fan of physical play and fighting, but i also like winning. Big no thanks on Stewart. And the trade in the OP is a classic example of robbing Peter to pay Paul, except the B's would be taking $100 from Peter using it to pay off a $25 debt to Paul and then burning the other $75. At this point it's trading Reilly Smith for a $4 million (lazy and can't PK) Greg Campbell and a 2nd

Last edited:

EverettMike

Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
Don't know his name. Not my chum. Are you making fun of Canada now or just being ignorant? And what part of him scoring 28 goals twice and being big is not true? Guy scoffed at me first so I felt fit to return the favor. Everything was going well till mike butt in.

Thought you meant me with that he/she.

Brain is a male. He is above average in height. Dark hair, thin, much quieter in person than you'd expect, stupid face.

I would never make fun of Canada. Canada made Cam Neely.

Stewart is not a power forward. You keep ignoring every scouting report written on him, not just by Brain (Brad), but by hockey writers, scouts, and Blues fans.

The knock on him is he doesn't use his size. On top of that when he isn't playing well he doesn't disappear, he actively hurts the team.

Please stop calling people that disagree with you contrarians. That implies we are just arguing for the sake of it. I do not want Stewart, short of getting him for free.

(Oh, and you were doing poorly even before "mike" got involved.)

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA

Brain is a male. He is above average in height. Dark hair, thin, much quieter in person than you'd expect, stupid face.

Stewart is not a power forward. You keep ignoring every scouting report written on him, not just by Brain (Brad), but by hockey writers, scouts, and Blues fans.

The knock on him is he doesn't use his size. On top of that when he isn't playing well he doesn't disappear, he actively hurts the team.

Please stop calling people that disagree with you contrarians. That implies we are just arguing for the sake of it. I do not want Stewart, short of getting him for free.

Can't say I'm surprised by this...:naughty:

Shoebottom

Bruin exiting lair
Aug 31, 2005
7 steps from my can
Why not just be honest about why you want him? Much easier argument to make than to suggest he's going to reclaim a long lost scoring touch, isn't it? :laugh:

It never ceases to amaze me how dishonest the pro goon crowd is with their motivations for adding a player. It's okay. You like staged fights. Be honest about it and most people would have more respect for that point of view, or the way you've argued the point. Instead you go out of your way to talk about his ability to score, even though he hasn't been that guy for years, and it's all because you really want a goon. Seems more than a touch disingenuous, no?

No. I do like players that can stand up for themselves. But he is a proven scorer to. Kinda like lucic. Why do you revert to calling people names? Don't think it's right to call people knuckle draggers cause they like lucic. Stop labelling people when you have no idea lol

member 96824

True story. I walked into a bar looking for the guy in Mike's picture.

He doesn't look like that.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
totally agree with this. I'm a big fan of physical play and fighting, but i also like winning. Big no thanks on Stewart. And the trade in the OP is a classic example of robbing Peter to pay Paul, except the B's would be taking $100 from Peter using it to pay off a $25 debt to Paul and then burning the other $75. At this point it's trading Reilly Smith for a $4 million (lazy and can't PK) Greg Campbell and a 2nd

I love physical play as well. Stewart is a bum at this point though, and the only reason the usual pro fighting crowd wants him is because he's willing to drop the gloves. Instead of being honest about that though, we get nonsense about his scoring touch and contract years. Why not just be upfront about your motivations and be direct? Instead, they put up this painfully transparent front instead of just saying they want an enforcer. It's insane.

Let me put it this way. I want an offensively elite RW to play on the top line. I have for years, and I've said it over and over and over again. If there was a guy like that who was available, I'm not going to go out of my way to talk up his two way defensive ability, or how he can play on the PK if need be. I'm going to talk about his ability to score goals, since that's the direction I want the team to go. Be honest. Be direct. No need to pretend you want a guy for one reason when the truth is more than apparent.

Shoebottom

Bruin exiting lair
Aug 31, 2005
7 steps from my can

But you are a contrarian. Always arguing for the sake of arguing. You don't even know what you're arguing anymore lol. And I never said he is a power forward. That's you assuming as always. Just want a scorer who can fight on that line. Kinda like iggi or Horton.

Baddkarma

El Guapo to most...
Feb 27, 2002
Midland TX
Not sure #18 is the one to trade for Stewart. Reilly Smith is almost gold with his current contract. Stewart's value is about zero right now.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
No. I do like players that can stand up for themselves. But he is a proven scorer to. Kinda like lucic. Why do you revert to calling people names? Don't think it's right to call people knuckle draggers cause they like lucic. Stop labelling people when you have no idea lol

Lucic brings other skills to the table besides being willing to throw down. Stewart at this point, does not.

And in terms of labeling, maybe I didn't understand this, but wasn't it you calling people contrarians because they disagreed with you? Is that not the pot calling the kettle black? :laugh:

EverettMike

Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
But you are a contrarian. Always arguing for the sake of arguing. You don't even know what you're arguing anymore lol. And I never said he is a power forward. That's you assuming as always. Just want a scorer who can fight on that line. Kinda like iggi or Horton.

Keep whining about being insulted while you insult me.

No, I don't argue for the sake of arguing. I know exactly what I am arguing.

Stewart doesn't play a game like Horton or Iginla. That's just not true.

member 96824

What happens in the playoffs though, when the fighting is gone?

You've now just got an inconsistent scoring forward with low hockey IQ.

I LOVE the rough stuff, love it love it love it. I even love staged fights if the guys are good....give me McGratton vs. Boll any night of the week. But that stuff is for the 4th line.

What does Stewart bring to a playoff series that Griffith already doesn't? He's got size, but what does that matter if he doesn't use it outside of fights?

Lobster57

Nov 22, 2006
Victoria, BC

was a proven goal scorer. he's a 15-20 guy. he's a slow Benoit Pouliot who fights

Shoebottom

Bruin exiting lair
Aug 31, 2005
7 steps from my can
I love physical play as well. Stewart is a bum at this point though, and the only reason the usual pro fighting crowd wants him is because he's willing to drop the gloves. Instead of being honest about that though, we get nonsense about his scoring touch and contract years. Why not just be upfront about your motivations and be direct? Instead, they put up this painfully transparent front instead of just saying they want an enforcer. It's insane.

Let me put it this way. I want an offensively elite RW to play on the top line. I have for years, and I've said it over and over and over again. If there was a guy like that who was available, I'm not going to go out of my way to talk up his two way defensive ability, or how he can play on the PK if need be. I'm going to talk about his ability to score goals, since that's the direction I want the team to go. Be honest. Be direct. No need to pretend you want a guy for one reason when the truth is more than apparent.

Haha Stewart is an enforcer. You are being disingenuous with yourself. You are making an ass of u & me by making these statements. Good luck with getting that elite rw.

Bridges31

Sweep the leg!
Oct 7, 2007
NH
When entering the forum i missed the part "proposal" reading just "Reilly Smith to Buffalo for Chris Stewart and a 2nd rd draft pick" and got a bad taste in my mouth.

Try reading it on mobile where prefixes don't show up.

Just about had a heart attack.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
Just for the record, Stewart is NOT a power forward by any means. He's soft on the boards and rarely uses his size. He's just a big guy who can score, when he actually cares to play.

There's a reason he keeps getting moved around.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad