Reid Boucher

Status
Not open for further replies.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
even if you give Pete 100% full credit for Henrique, what about everyone else? Larsson, Gelinas, Josefson, etc.?

I think it's still too early to tell with the defensemen, given how long they typically take to develop. As much as Pete "hates kids" we had two rookie defensemen play 50+ games and average over 16 minutes a night. Josefson you can make a case for possibly being held back. Tedenby was just a bust. Beyond that I think the "mishandling" of our kids is overblown.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
If anyone thinks Larsson being sent down has anything to do with DeBoer... Well, they just don't understand how any of this works.

At the very least that was a 90% Lou decision. More likely 100%.

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut
I think it's still too early to tell with the defensemen, given how long they typically take to develop. As much as Pete "hates kids" we had two rookie defensemen play 50+ games and average over 16 minutes a night. Josefson you can make a case for possibly being held back. Tedenby was just a bust. Beyond that I think the "mishandling" of our kids is overblown.

Josefson's the weirdest case to me, because he was Kovalchuk's center when the 2011-2012 season started. And he certainly didn't look out of place. Then he gets hurt, gets some looks on the fourth line at the end of the season, and just like that he's out of site and out of mind.

Josefson and Tedenby (and to a lesser extent Larsson and Gelinas) are prime examples of why Boucher should be kept in Albany. Let him hone his skills in a lower-pressure environment where a coach won't need to bench him in the third, or limit his minutes in a tight game, or drop him down a line if he makes a mistake. Kids need to play. If he can PLAY in the NHL, keep him up. But I doubt that's the case. He's already shown some really impressive work ethic, getting his skating up to par two summers ago after a little chat with Lou. I don't think he'll be a "hands on" kinda prospect. Forwards will get injured next season and if he's playing well, he'll get another shot.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
If anyone thinks Larsson being sent down has anything to do with DeBoer... Well, they just don't understand how any of this works.

At the very least that was a 90% Lou decision. More likely 100%.

But I think Lou did so in light of Pete's unwillingness to play Larsson.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
But I think Lou did so in light of Pete's unwillingness to play Larsson.

Larsson was playing regularly when he got sent down. He wasn't scratched and he was getting a regular shift...for comparison purposes Greene was playing about 25 minutes a night while taking about 30 shifts.

Here are his last 10 games with the number of shifts and minutes...He got virtually no special team play so these minutes are a bit bigger than they appear.

NOV 23 '13 NJD @ SJS 22 16:57
NOV 21 '13 NJD @ LAK 26 19:33
NOV 20 '13 NJD @ ANA 26 19:51
NOV 16 '13 PIT @ NJD* 24 15:56
NOV 15 '13 LAK @ NJD 23 17:01
NOV 12 '13 NJD @ NYR 25 17:16
NOV 10 '13 NSH @ NJD 18 17:07
NOV 08 '13 NJD @ TOR 24 18:35
NOV 07 '13 NJD @ PHI 22 14:45
NOV 03 '13 NJD @ MIN 31 26:24

Last edited:
Dec 10, 2008
NoDak now NYC area
Pete has done nothing to "ruin" Larsson. Kid's gap control and ability to deal with speed to the outside are both horrendous. That's a Larsson issue - not a PD issue. Not to mention his mobility is painfully average...

After a bit of a rough start, Merrill had no problem logging 19 per and taking care of his own end. That's how you stay in the lineup - the offense will come.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
Pete has done nothing to "ruin" Larsson. Kid's gap control and ability to deal with speed to the outside are both horrendous. That's a Larsson issue - not a PD issue. Not to mention his mobility is painfully average...

After a bit of a rough start, Merrill had no problem logging 19 per and taking care of his own end. That's how you stay in the lineup - the offense will come.

so its not Pete's job to help teach that?

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ

Are you saying Conte whiffed again and we should have drafted Hamilton, Strome or Brodin?

Dec 10, 2008
NoDak now NYC area
Are you saying Conte whiffed again and we should have drafted Hamilton, Strome or Brodin?

No way am I reaching for that this early in his career, but there are some things in his game I absolutely don't like. I think his overall skating and stride are massive issues and will limit how good he can be.

Brodin certainly looks like a solid Dman early on, but playing next to one of the best all-around D in the game certainly makes the transition an easier one. And his skating is ridiculously smooth.

SeidoN

#OGOC #2018 HFW Predictions Champ
Aug 8, 2012
AEF
Larsson at 4 was a nobrainer. in fact alot of analysts were calling it the steal of the draft, much like Jones

DatBoyJPP

Good Night
Jul 30, 2009
Blairstown
Larsson was playing regularly when he got sent down. He wasn't scratched and he was getting a regular shift...for comparison purposes Greene was playing about 25 minutes a night while taking about 30 shifts.

Here are his last 10 games with the number of shifts and minutes...He got virtually no special team play so these minutes are a bit bigger than they appear.

NOV 23 '13 NJD @ SJS 22 16:57
NOV 21 '13 NJD @ LAK 26 19:33
NOV 20 '13 NJD @ ANA 26 19:51
NOV 16 '13 PIT @ NJD* 24 15:56
NOV 15 '13 LAK @ NJD 23 17:01
NOV 12 '13 NJD @ NYR 25 17:16
NOV 10 '13 NSH @ NJD 18 17:07
NOV 08 '13 NJD @ TOR 24 18:35
NOV 07 '13 NJD @ PHI 22 14:45
NOV 03 '13 NJD @ MIN 31 26:24

He got sent down in January. So yea those 0 minutes he got in December was playing regularly

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
He got sent down in January. So yea those 0 minutes he got in December was playing regularly

What a knucklehead

Adam Larsson (lower body) will miss Friday's game.
Larsson hasn't played since Nov. 23. He has a goal and two assists in 20 games this season.
Source: Tom Gulitti on Twitter Jan 1 - 12:11 PM

Adam Larsson (lower body) resumed skating last week.
Coach Pete DeBoer said Larsson suffered "a fairly significant injury" when he crashed into the boards on Nov. 23 in San Jose. DeBoer described the lower-body injury as "a pretty standard kind of four-to-six week type thing." He has been skating on his own lately.
Source: The Bergen Record Thu, Dec 19, 2013 04:40:00 PM

Adam Larsson - D - Devils
The New Jersey Devils placed Adam Larsson on the injured reserve retroactive to Nov. 23 on Sunday.
Sun, Dec 1, 2013 01:51:00 PM

Adam Larsson won't play Monday because of a lower-body injury.
He was hurt when he lost an edge and crashed into the boards during the third period of Saturday's loss to San Jose. Larsson has one goal and two assists in 20 games this season.
Source: The Bergen Record Mon, Nov 25, 2013 02:48:00 PM

Tedenboozled

Mar 4, 2011
What a knucklehead

Adam Larsson (lower body) will miss Friday's game.
Larsson hasn't played since Nov. 23. He has a goal and two assists in 20 games this season.
Source: Tom Gulitti on Twitter Jan 1 - 12:11 PM

Adam Larsson (lower body) resumed skating last week.
Coach Pete DeBoer said Larsson suffered "a fairly significant injury" when he crashed into the boards on Nov. 23 in San Jose. DeBoer described the lower-body injury as "a pretty standard kind of four-to-six week type thing." He has been skating on his own lately.
Source: The Bergen Record Thu, Dec 19, 2013 04:40:00 PM

The New Jersey Devils placed Adam Larsson on the injured reserve retroactive to Nov. 23 on Sunday.
Sun, Dec 1, 2013 01:51:00 PM

Adam Larsson won't play Monday because of a lower-body injury.
He was hurt when he lost an edge and crashed into the boards during the third period of Saturday's loss to San Jose. Larsson has one goal and two assists in 20 games this season.
Source: The Bergen Record Mon, Nov 25, 2013 02:48:00 PM

Rich Chere ‏@Ledger_NJDevils Dec 19
DeBoer said Adam Larsson injury is a standard 4-6 week situation. Salvador is taking a bit longer than coach expected

4-6 weeks, but didn't play an NHL game from November 23 to March 31. He sat out far too long and if you genuinely think he isn't at least the 6th best defenseman on this team then you're either trolling or have an agenda.

Uli Hiemer

Dr. Evil
Oct 19, 2011
Queens
How can Pete help with things like footspeed? Larsson needs to seek out people who are trained in that area to work on during the offseason. I think John Tavares did this, many players do it actually.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Larsson said he was fine a few weeks before getting sent down.

No he didn't.... January 1st he said about another week. He was sent down on January 9th. Stop with these false narratives.

http://www.nj.com/devils/index.ssf/...turn_next_week_then_fulfilling_potential.html

"Five weeks after injuring a knee. crashing into the boards during a Nov. 23 game in San Jose, Larsson finally is about ready to resume his quest to become the player the Devils thought they were getting when drafting the Swede fourth overall in 2011.

Devils coach Pete DeBoer is ruling out Larsson for this Friday's home game against Chicago or Saturday’s game in Buffalo, but next week seems to be a possibility.

Larsson is shooting for next week, perhaps Tuesday's home game against Philly or Thursday’s game at Prudential Center vs. Dallas.

“After getting in a couple more (practices), I think I’ll be ready,” Larsson said."

Last edited:

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
No he didn't.... January 1st he said about another week. He was sent down on January 9th. Stop with these false narratives.

http://www.nj.com/devils/index.ssf/...turn_next_week_then_fulfilling_potential.html

"Five weeks after injuring a knee. crashing into the boards during a Nov. 23 game in San Jose, Larsson finally is about ready to resume his quest to become the player the Devils thought they were getting when drafting the Swede fourth overall in 2011.

Devils coach Pete DeBoer is ruling out Larsson for this Friday's home game against Chicago or Saturday’s game in Buffalo, but next week seems to be a possibility.

Larsson is shooting for next week, perhaps Tuesday's home game against Philly or Thursday’s game at Prudential Center vs. Dallas.

“After getting in a couple more (practices), I think I’ll be ready,†Larsson said."

So January 1st he said a couple more practices. 8 days later he was sent down.

DevilsMadeMeDoIt

Jul 12, 2013
very glad this thread is about Reid lmao.... Regardless, for a young player with offensive talent he seemed to play with his nose down and was hungry for the puck. I'm excited with him and hopefully gets a late season call up and helps us make a run

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad