Reid Boucher

Status
Not open for further replies.

MichaelJ

May 20, 2013
I've seen a number of posters talk about how Reid needs another year in the AHL and shouldn't be with the Devils next year. I completely disagree with this and he should be given every chance to break camp with NJD next season.

The first thing that comes to mind is how Jon Merrill was handled. Many seemed to feel that he should have been babied and spent the entire year in Albany. Yet, after he came up and was allowed to play through mistakes, he became one of the best defenseman on the team by the end of the year.

Reid dominated at Sarnia his last year there and this year he scored enough goals (22) to put him on a 32-goal pace over an 82-game season. Although he struggled a bit during his short time in the NHL he should skill and toughness. He's going to have growing pains whenever he makes the jump full time, we can't have the expectation of him immediately becoming a 25-30 scorer upon promotion no matter how much AHL experience he has.

He showed enough at Albany that he doesn't have a whole lot left to prove there. I'd love to see him promoted next year and paired with Elias on the 3rd line. He'll get a decent amount of minutes and get to play with a great all-around player. The only way he's going to develop an NHL game at this point will be to play in the NHL. Having him play another year in Albany will be a waste of his time.

RSeen

Oct 26, 2011
Toronto
See what Detroit did with Gustav Nyquist? He dominated in the AHL and they still kept him there. Look at him now, scoring at a 40+ goal pace in his first legit season.

Let the kid dominate in the AHL. We have too many guys like Clowe, Ruutu, and Zubrus who are taking up a spot right now. I'd rather not rush him. I don't want him rushed like Tedenby and Josefson. At this point it is better to having him in the minors too long than brought up too soon.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
another guy with raw skills, but needs to adjust his game slightly to be effective in PDBs system. another year in the A won't hurt him

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
I believe in the theory that offensive skill and confidence can be a fragile thing and when an offensive player is rushed that players offensive top end can be limited.

That concern would not apply to a guy like Merrill. At least not to the heightened extent of a guy like Boucher who we hope could be a pretty high end goal scorer.

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
I don't think Boucher and Merrill are really comparable. The only reason I, and I think many other posters, wanted Merrill to stay in the AHL for the year was because he was injured/suspended for the two prior seasons and hardly played. It was just a matter of him getting back on track to a full season schedule, not really a matter of him refining his skills (a little bit of that but not so much). His technical skills are very sound already and he showed he was more than ready to handle NHL ice time.

Boucher on the other hand is more raw. I think another year in the AHL of him putting up great numbers will do him wonders come the following season. He really came into his own during his last year at Sarnia. Obviously he didn't dominate the AHL like he did the OHL during that year, but given another season he will improve his numbers, work on his skills and gain more confidence. The one thing that needs to be avoided is sending him down then calling him up, then sending him down, etc...

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
I loved what he showed in the NHL...I don't think I would say he "struggled" while he was here, I would say he was learning... People have to remember his stint in NJ was just a "look" for the organization.

But whether or not he should play in the NHL is totally dependent on his development curve.

He will no doubt be given another look next season. When he does get that opportunity you hope to see a maturity to his game. To say he has nothing to prove in Albany is not right. Most non-elite prospects (and even some elite) have process to go through. You'll hear a lot of GM's and AHL people talking about a 3 year development process. It is not necessarily just performing/scoring goals, it is about learning how to prepare yourself to play every night in the Pro game...So the decision makers are going to be looking for consistency, good decisions, progress as well as production. It is not score .5 goals per game get called up. They are looking for certain qualities to develop and progress. The NHL is no place to learn how to be a Pro in my opinion.

He has plenty to learn

sunnyvale

Apr 29, 2013
NJ
I liked what I saw out of him in his stint here, but I think he needs that extra "step" to get his game to NHL. A little quicker, a little more decisive with the puck, and a little hungrier. It is ultimately up to him, if he wows at training camp than give him his spot.

Brooklyndevil

Jun 24, 2005
Freehold, NJ USA
We're not the Detroit Red Wings, we're the ARRP Devils. The team needs young blood at the forward position. I feel the same with Matteau. We aren't going anywhere with the same group of forwards so we might as well go now where with youth and guys who can skate.

NC107*

It all depends on what Lou doess in the off season. If he continues with basically the same team as last season then bring him up and let him learn on the job, because we won't go anywhere next season anyway. If Lou makes some drastic improvements with offense trades and buys then let him go another year in the AHL.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
He probably COULD make the team out of camp, that doesn't mean he SHOULD make the team out of camp.

Being able to play and being ready to play are two completely different things. He's no where close to a finished product yet. But...if he has a monster camp and makes the team out of camp based on merit then it won't be a huge deal.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
Let's see how Boucher, Merrill, Matteau, Gelinas, Larsson, Kinkaid handle this playoffs.
Could be of huge value for all of their development.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
We're not the Detroit Red Wings, we're the ARRP Devils. The team needs young blood at the forward position. I feel the same with Matteau. We aren't going anywhere with the same group of forwards so we might as well go now where with youth and guys who can skate.

That's a great way to burn out and set prospects back. These aren't elite kids that can just click up here.

These prospects need full seasons playing top minutes to continue to learn not only the on ice skills but what they need off ice as Jim explained.

They aren't going to make any real difference next year odds are so no reason to rush them.

schoenfeld

2 Way Contract
Dec 10, 2006
boucher should not be a regular till 2015, i honestly did not see much from him during his stint with the grown man club, the entire time i was waiting for him to get his clock cleaned.

Japam

I love Matt Loughlin.
May 21, 2012
nj
He cleaned Staal's clock pretty good. The height difference made it extra hilarious.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
in his time up here this past year, he didn't look ready. he is still super young...will just have turned 21 when the season starts

njdevilsftw

Nov 13, 2011
new jersey
Let him spend one more year in the AHL the bring him up next season when the devils draft McDavid and let him play along side him and Henrique or Zajac

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
His first few games up here he was really shy and tentative, but after a while he settled down and played a much more composed game. I think that will do him a lot of good in the long term. He probably won't be spooked and will be much more comfortable the next time he gets called up....for a while, anyway.

John Iadevaia

May 9, 2013
Long Island
First let us see how he does in the playoffs. I am confident he will perform well but St John's is pretty good.

Right now, he needs experience at the pro level. That takes time, even if he plays in the NHL next year. Personally, I am fine with either, as long as he is playing and growing. Another AHL season would not hurt and a season on a line with Elias would be just as good.

ScottyK

Hi, I'm mat.
Aug 28, 2008
West of Chicago
Let Reid dominate at the AHL level much like Nyquist did.

He hasn't done that yet he's only just now getting use to playing against men.

Reid is the type of player that feeds off confidence if you crush that he doesn't have the physical skills to be anything else.

What we can hope he becomes is a in his prime Ryder with a bit better passing ability. Anyone expecting more than that is kidding themselves unless the kid really finds another gear along with some body mass.

Love Reid but he's not ready yet. Also I'd be shocked if Elias is a 3rd liner next season. With 9 forwards signed already, 1 MAYBE 2 changes will be made to the top 6.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND

But if we rush them and hurt their development, it's a complete waste of an asset. I'd rather suffer through another year of the geezers and let the kids develop properly.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
I thought he was pretty solid in his time up here for a kid playing his first few games.

Agree, I thought he was solid as well, I didn't see a guy who looked out of place, but he didn't produce much, and I think we all agree the idea with Boucher is to develop a goal scorer. And I tend to think that his development will be better served in Albany.

Now, as mentioned, if he has a good playoffs and a strong training camp, and thereby signaling that he is indeed ready, then sure let him start in NJ. And over the coarse of the season I'd expect to see him (and Matteau) up with the big club at certain points, but my basic inclination is that he(and Matteau) will need a fair amount of time in Albany.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
I think Sykora is a better comparable than Ryder. Ryder is so one dimensional it hurts. Sykora could at least skate, pass, read plays, and will at least try to do things when the puck isn't on his stick. Ryder is literally a shot machine and nothing else, I think Reid is a bit more dynamic than that.

MichaelJ

May 20, 2013
Let Reid dominate at the AHL level much like Nyquist did.

He hasn't done that yet he's only just now getting use to playing against men.

Reid is the type of player that feeds off confidence if you crush that he doesn't have the physical skills to be anything else.

What we can hope he becomes is a in his prime Ryder with a bit better passing ability. Anyone expecting more than that is kidding themselves unless the kid really finds another gear along with some body mass.

Love Reid but he's not ready yet. Also I'd be shocked if Elias is a 3rd liner next season. With 9 forwards signed already, 1 MAYBE 2 changes will be made to the top 6.

At this point, I'd keep Henrique, Zajac, and Jagr in the top 6. Ship out Ryder and Brunner, Ruutu and Zubrus need to be kept in the bottom 6. Having Eliad down to the 3rd allows him to age gracefully and spreads the talent out for the forwards.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad