Line Combos: Regular Season Lineups

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
Alex "40.5% for faceoffs" Tanguay at centre, with Cervenka (50% faceoff wins in KHL) on the wing? Really?

REALLY?

59Vt6.gif

As would I but Baertschi has been far and away one of the best players so far this year, and he's on the forth line while the old veterans who haven't done squat sit up and hog the top 6 spots?

Well, Baertschi has shown flashes of brilliance, but he's not really done anything so far this season to show he belongs in the top six right now. Besides, he did fine with "plugs" during his emergency recall last season, so maybe we'll see a repeat of that performance?

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
The lines at pratice today:

Glencross-Tanguay-Iginla

Cammalleri-Backlund-Stempniak

Hudler-Stajan-Cervenka

Begin/Baertschi-Jones-Comeau/Jackman

Im gona be real pissed if these are the lines tommorow. Cervenka on the wing? why.. Cervenkas a natural center why not put him at center.. and Baertschi on the 4th line r u kidding me

I can understand Hartley wanting to ease Hudler and Cervenka into the lineup but the rest of the combinations are just bad. Baertschi on the 4th is an awful waste. Backlund and Iginla looked good on the first line, they should have at least been given another game together. Cammalleri's been entirely awful and needs a kick in the pants more than anything.

At some point, Hartley's going to need to establish some sort of consistency in the lineup. Yeah, he's trying to figure what works at the moment and will likely rotate guys in the bottom six to keep legs fresh, but constantly switching up everything on a game to game basis is going wreak havoc with chemistry. A longer training and pre-season games would have helped a lot with this, which is a shame really.

Last edited:

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
Alex "40.5% for faceoffs" Tanguay at centre, with Cervenka (50% faceoff wins in KHL) on the wing? Really?

REALLY?

59Vt6.gif

Well, Baertschi has shown flashes of brilliance, but he's not really done anything so far this season to show he belongs in the top six right now. Besides, he did fine with "plugs" during his emergency recall last season, so maybe we'll see a repeat of that performance?

Cervenka didn't play alot of center as he isn't great defensively at it if you have him on the wing it isn't as big of a deal.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
Hudler knows how to play center. He dominated the AHL as a center. He didn't play much center in Detroit because during his career the Wings have had Yzerman, Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Lang, Filppula, Modano, Franzen, Draper, Helm, Abdelkader, etc. at center at various times. Bowman and Babcock both prefer two-way centers, especially those who are quick and have some size. A guy like Hudler who is of average speed and undersized is unlikely to get a look in the middle, especially given his relatively weak defensive game when compared to other Wings forwards (he still classifies as "above-average" to "good" in a vacuum). A pure example of this? Hudler centered Kopecky in Grand Rapids, and yet there was a period where Kopecky centered Hudler in Detroit - size being the primary deciding factor.

I have said for years that I think Hudler would excel if given the chance in the middle, especially if placed between two big, physical wingers. He's in absolutely the perfect situation for this to happen in Calgary; Hartley could slot him between Glencross and Iginla and that line would eat opponents alive. It would allow Tanguay to move to another line, Baertschi/Tanguay/Cammalleri perhaps? That line has some pretty wicked speed. And then you have Backlund/Stajan/Stempniak as the shutdown line.

Not sure how exactly to slot Cervenka in. Maybe swapping into the second line for Cammy? If you swap Stemps out, you can move Glencross down, Tanguay or Cammalleri up, and put Cervenka on line 2. Or just put Cervenka on line 1 or 3.

Hudler hasn't played center let alone taken a faceoff in what 7 years thats a great idea. I understand you love Hudler but it makes more sense to use Cervenka/Tanguay(splitting time),Backlund,Stajan at center and let Hudler do his thing on the wing.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
I can understand Hartley wanting to ease Hudler and Cervenka into the lineup but the rest of the combinations are just bad. Baertschi on the 4th is an awful waste. Backlund and Iginla looked good on the first line, they should have at least been given another game together. Cammalleri's been entirely awful and needs a kick in the pants more than anything.

At some point, Hartley's going to need to establish some sort of consistency in the lineup. Yeah, he's trying to figure what works at the moment and will likely rotate guys in the bottom six to keep legs fresh, but constantly switching up everything on a game to game basis is going wreak havoc with chemistry. A longer training and pre-season games would have helped a lot with this, which is a shame really.

I think Sven will be sat against Edmonton, he might even go back to the AHL for a bit with Horak.

TylerSVT*

Well, Baertschi has shown flashes of brilliance, but he's not really done anything so far this season to show he belongs in the top six right now.

Im sorry, but what has Glencross or Cammalleri done so far to prove that they deserve top 6 time either.

This is just another case of Flames poor crappy asset management.

He should call up Nino and ask him what its like to have horrible development.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
I think Sven will be sat against Edmonton, he might even go back to the AHL for a bit with Horak.

While I think Baertschi would be best served by playing 3rd line minutes in the NHL now, getting 20-25 minutes a night on the first line with the Heat is miles better than 4th line minutes in the NHL alongside Jackman/Begin/Comeau/Jones.

TylerSVT*

Once again Feaster and company show exactly why the Flames have managed to screw up every prospect we ever had.

Sign Comeau for a year to play what exactly?

The problem with this team is, we have 0 impact players outside of Iginla, we have a bunch of overpaid 2nd and 3rd liners, so our GM decides to fill every spot with whatever cap we have left, which is why you see so many crappy players in our bottom 6 (comeau, jackman, etc.)

No prospect ever gets a chance, and the Flames will probably end up ruining Beartchi like they do everyone else.

I hate this organization sometimes.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
Im sorry, but what has Glencross or Cammalleri done so far to prove that they deserve top 6 time either.

:laugh: 2nd in hits, 1st in points, tied for 1st in goals, tied for 1st in assists. Has been good along the boards and you want to put Sven in over him. Christ I know we have a good prospect since 04 but rushing him is the worst thing we could do, Glencross has been great.

BVicious

Jun 15, 2012
Whatever it takes to win a game. Remember last year when they told Horak to go find a home in Calgary cuz he is on the team? Well I hope Sven is looking for a place in abbotsford. Have a feeling get will send him down at the end of the month.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503

Well, Glencross had two goals against the Ducks, but yeah, Cammalleri's been wholly awful. Maybe he's playing injured or something.

It's still early, but if Baertschi's sent down to the Heat and Backlund, despite excellent play, never receives more than 3rd line minutes, or Brodie, despite good play is repeatedly benched, it'll be pretty clear that a) there's pressure for Hartley to start winning games now and b) ownership is forcing the coaching staff to play the expensive vets because they still believe that's the only way to get results.

slappipappi

Jul 22, 2010

Are you joking?

Cammy and Glancross are consistent 20+ goal scorers in the NHL.

Glancross leads the Flames with 2 gaols and 4 points this season also.

We all get that Sven is a good prospect, but he is pointless this year, and regressing every game.

Svenner

Dec 2, 2008
Montreal, QC
Are you joking?

Cammy and Glancross are consistent 20+ goal scorers in the NHL.

Glancross leads the Flames with 2 gaols and 4 points this season also.

We all get that Sven is a good prospect, but he is pointless this year, and regressing every game.

regressing? really? He's been the only player that was making things happen in the first two games. He wasn't afraid to try things and he rewarded us with a couple PPs. The problem is Hartley doesn't give him any opportunities. No PK, no PP, no shootout.. Explain to me exactly how hes regressing. With the limited chances the coaching staff has given him hes done great.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
regressing? really? He's been the only player that was making things happen in the first two games. He wasn't afraid to try things and he rewarded us with a couple PPs. The problem is Hartley doesn't give him any opportunities. No PK, no PP, no shootout.. Explain to me exactly how hes regressing. With the limited chances the coaching staff has given him hes done great.

No pk good we don't need him getting hurt blocking a shot.

No pp? He gets the 6th most on the team at a 1:30 a game. We only had one shootout and Hartley himself said after the game he trusted the veterans as they hadn't really practiced the shootout yet. He gets 13 minutes a night thats about what he got last year he is being slowly brought into the nhl not just thrown to the wolves. He looks shy compared to last year he had 10 shots in the 5 games last year this year he had 2 in the first 1 in the 2nd and none in the 3rd.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
To add some fuel to the fire:

Ian Busby ‏@SUNIanBusby
It appears Sven Baertschi will be scratched Saturday vs. Edm. He's disappointed, since mother and brother are flying in for the game #flames

Harsh.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
To add some fuel to the fire:

Harsh.

They will have him in the next game, this is always a bad thing this could really motivate him for the Colorado game. We will most likely see a rotating door for who is in the press box Sven is just the easiest one to hold out.

Lets not forget he barely skated in December and has only played 5 games in 2 months.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
They will have him in the next game, this is always a bad thing this could really motivate him for the Colorado game. We will most likely see a rotating door for who is in the press box Sven is just the easiest one to hold out.

Yeah, but it's a shoddy way to treat a player, especially when they have family flying in from far away just to see them play. That's not to say Baertschi should just be given a spot because his family will be there, but it's not like there aren't other candidates that deserve a seat in the press box (Comeau, Cammalleri) over him.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
Yeah, but it's a shoddy way to treat a player, especially when they have family flying in from far away just to see them play. That's not to say Baertschi should just be given a spot because his family will be there, but it's not like there aren't other candidates that deserve a seat in the press box (Comeau, Cammalleri) over him.

I agree but he was hurt in December Hartley may feel he isn't up to speed and yet and doesn't want to put him in a bad situation and over works him we say what happened when we didn't give Boyd a slow enough transition to the nhl.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
I agree but he was hurt in December Hartley may feel he isn't up to speed and yet and doesn't want to put him in a bad situation and over works him we say what happened when we didn't give Boyd a slow enough transition to the nhl.

Yeah, that's the other side of it. Basically the same situation as Gardiner with the Leafs. like you said, who missed a month because of a concussion.

It may not be the worst thing to send Baertschi down to the Heat for a couple of weeks or so, even if the optics of such a move are terrible. At the same time, it's not easy to justify giving Comeau a spot but not Baertschi.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
Yeah, that's the other side of it. Basically the same situation as Gardiner with the Leafs. like you said, who missed a month because of a concussion.

It may not be the worst thing to send Baertschi down to the Heat for a couple of weeks or so, even if the optics of such a move are terrible. At the same time, it's not easy to justify giving Comeau a spot but not Baertschi.

Comeau is out there for his physicality there is no reason to play Sven on the 4th line he isn't a energy guy he can't hit it would be a spot for him. We are taking apples and oranges, if Begin was left for Comeau then we can complain but Sven is a top 9 player and we have 10 of them so someone is the odd man out. I would rather go slow with Sven and make sure he is comfortable in nhl and 100% rather than force him.

Thumper17

Jun 27, 2011
I think comeau or cammy should sit.

Tanguay - Cervenka - Iggy
Baertschi - Backlund - Hudler
Glencross - Stajan - Stempniak
Begin - Jones - Jackman

Then switch it around for Cammy maybe have him as thid line center and sit jones. Comeau for a 5th or 6th.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad