Regarding Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sideline

May 23, 2004
I’ve been jogging every other day and this shit sucks as much as ever and I’m as bad as I was 3 weeks ago. I don’t know how people do it. I switched to a HIIT style like 30 second sprint-ish thing and 45 second walk repeated today but now my shins hurt. I’m not designed for this.
Most novice runners go too far, too fast, too soon.

One HIIT session a week is fine, but I usually do ~20 miles a week and only 2 of those are on HIIT day.

Your steady running tempo should be just at the edge of where you still have enough wind to hold a light conversation.

If you're training for something long distance you can double up the time you put in on a steady run day once a week, but you need to drop the pace to something where you could give a lecture on a topic of your choice.

My week is broken down into:

M: 30 minutes tempo
Tu: 30 minutes tempo
W: 10 x 2 mins sprint + 1 min jog
Th: Rest
F: 30 mins tempo
Sa: 60 mins long slow run
Su: rest

If you increase weekly time on the road then don't increase pace. If you increase pace don't increase time on the road. Max increase in either is 10% per week. If you are sore then stop for a few days until you aren't sore. Then run less distance when you start again.

Reactions: billybudd and Jacob

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
Please for the love of god, get a vaccine working.

This is f***ing bullshit.

Cole sold the Pens soul for the B2B...

...I am ready to sell the next rest of the Cup Window just to have the world and hockey back at all.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
Hopefully a vaccine comes out of Pittsburgh in a year. But...wherever it gets made I don't really care. Just stop the dieing, stop the sickness. I feel bad for the people that lived through the spanish flu and the black death, etc with how little we knew. Now living in those times was a death sentence. I am sure the black death era was considered the "devils work".

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Hopefully a vaccine comes out of Pittsburgh in a year. But...wherever it gets made I don't really care. Just stop the dieing, stop the sickness. I feel bad for the people that lived through the spanish flu and the black death, etc with how little we knew. Now living in those times was a death sentence. I am sure the black death era was considered the "devils work".
Are you a fan of ''the devil''? Asking for a friend.

2wayPlay

Dec 25, 2018
the University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine may be the key. Just like Jonas Salk who was its Director back in the 1950s came up with a vaccine for Polio, Pitt’s researchers have come up with a very promising vaccine that has been effective in laboratory rats fighting off COVID19. I hope the FDA fast tracks it. Hail to Pitt!

Reactions: theicebox

ZeroPucksGiven

Feb 28, 2017
Not to say of course that these regulations are universally followed (we just had to scold my GF’s mom about going to karaoke last week), but enough of the population does throughout Taiwan that their cases are very limited and don’t seem to be spreading.

So I'm the divorced father of 2 teenage girls. Their mom desperately wants to be the "cool mom" and I learned yesterday (we split every week) that she allowed my youngest to go to a friends house and my oldest was allowed to have her boyfriend over. Then yesterday she wanted to take my youngest to her grandmothers since she was "so bored". I told her absolutely not.

Like wtf? We're not all doing this for the fun of it.

My fiance and I talked about it and we both agreed that expressing my concerns over this will only cause my to do this more frequently out of pettiness

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
So I'm the divorced father of 2 teenage girls. Their mom desperately wants to be the "cool mom" and I learned yesterday (we split every week) that she allowed my youngest to go to a friends house and my oldest was allowed to have her boyfriend over. Then yesterday she wanted to take my youngest to her grandmothers since she was "so bored". I told her absolutely not.

My fiance and I talked about it and we both agreed that expressing my concerns over this will only cause my to do this more frequently out of pettiness

Arrestable parenting.

Glad you're not a dummy.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh

No way to cut this one... that's a bad situation. Very irresponsible of her to let friends/boyfriends over. Also irresponsible of the other parents who equally allowed this. And let's face it, you will be told off for being responsible.

This is a situation where you have to know you are right but can't win. And that is the worst.

Beauner

Jun 14, 2011
Pittsburgh
I’ve been jogging every other day and this shit sucks as much as ever and I’m as bad as I was 3 weeks ago. I don’t know how people do it. I switched to a HIIT style like 30 second sprint-ish thing and 45 second walk repeated today but now my shins hurt. I’m not designed for this.

I feel ya @Jacob. Running sucks. I only do it because if I show up to judo out of shape, my coach has some pretty wretched tricks up his sleeve.
Somehow I've been doing the treadmill every day for about 3.5 weeks straight now. Nothing crazy. about 50 minutes at 5mph with couple 2 minute breaks at 3mph. But I'm surprised nothing hurts and I don't want to quit. I hate running but youtube videos help.

Reactions: Ogrezilla

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Unless you just love running/jogging, low intensity steady state cardio may be one of the weakest ways to stay/get in shape. My brother absolutely loves jogging so it works for him. He loves it and it's something he can do to stay active. So hey... if you love it - stay with it. But if you despise jogging/running, I would implore you to look elsewhere because it's just not a great way to get what you want.

Ultimately fitness comes down to the same thing dieting does - what works for you? If you find things you hate, you will never stick with it. I love athletic training so I match resistance training with HIIT explosive plyo training. Lot of science backs it up. But a loooooooooooot of people hate jumping and want nothing to do with it. So barre, yoga, simple weight training, etc. are all out there. I just encourage people to find what they love.

I just can't stand how many people default to a boring exercise that legit is average at best for getting someone in shape. And it does absolute shit for building lean muscle. Oh... and it does a great job damaging joints over time.

Reactions: HandshakeLin
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad