Regarding Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Since the topic is appearing in numerous threads, we're going to have a thread for the virus. The rules, as always, apply here. However, due to the sensitivity of the topic, this thread will be closely watched. Therefore...

- No flaming
- No trolling
- No politics
- No spam
- No thread hijacking

If it turns out that everyone gets worked up and can't be civil, then this thread will be closed.

Reactions: BHD

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Went out to eat tonight at Tako. Took precautions wiping down area, hand sanitizer, etc. You would not know a single thing is going on. People are out to eat and having a good time.

Will Hunting

Immortal Adams
Dec 14, 2011
European Union
Just 34 cases in Slovakia. Now all borders are closed, every school is closed, people are in 14 days quarantines, restaurants, bars and supermarkets are closed. Life IS basically frozen here. Thats the only way to avoid collapse of health system over here imo. That virus is no joke. 2100 new cases in Spain just today. In Italy they cant help all people anymore so they just let people over 60 years die somewhere there just to use respirators for the others... Its a massacre in Italy and the same shit is gonna happen in Spain.

Reactions: ColePens

Will Hunting

Immortal Adams
Dec 14, 2011
European Union
DAMN!!! that's quite the climb...
Exponential curve.. if there are 1000 people somewhere who are infected but dont have symptoms yet, there is gonna be 3000 of those people tomorrow... Average is more than 2 new infected people for one such person and one day. Maths is absolutely scary there. But it is what it is.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
Exponential curve.. if there are 1000 people somewhere who are infected but dont have symptoms yet, there is gonna be 3000 of those people tomorrow... Average is more than 2 new infected people for one such person and one day. Maths is absolutely scary there. But it is what it is.
This all started from eating bats or something?

2wayPlay

Dec 25, 2018
This is certainly unprecedented. I am a Financial Advisor so the last couple weeks have been interesting to say the least. I also have two young kids and my daughter in Kindergarten just had her school shut down until further notice. My wife quit her part time job to now stay home meanwhile I still have to go into the office until this thing gets worst. Reading the stories from Italy are heartbreaking. I honestly wasn’t that worried a couple weeks ago but now........

Will Hunting

Immortal Adams
Dec 14, 2011
European Union
This is certainly unprecedented. I am a Financial Advisor so the last couple weeks have been interesting to say the least. I also have two young kids and my daughter in Kindergarten just had her school shut down until further notice. My wife quit her part time job to now stay home meanwhile I still have to go into the office until this thing gets worst. Reading the stories from Italy are heartbreaking. I honestly wasn’t that worried a couple weeks ago but now........
Its gonna be real bad in US. Real real bad. It already is real bad but people are not tested for it yet so we just dont know how bad it is. But we will see in next couple of days. Be ready for the bad news. USA is not doing enough to avoid a disaster imo. Can get very very ugly there.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Chinese wet markets. Exotic animals and people in close proximity without even an afterthought for hygiene. Something jumped from either a pangolin or bat to human and then spread on. Literally the exact same story as SARS in 2002, only difference was it was civets.

As if China's taste for exotic animals for food and herbal medicine wasn't damaging enough to the animals, now it's killing humans. Shit's gotta stop.

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC

Nobody knows at this point. All kinds of wild speculation out there, but there is the theory that Jacob posted and the only other one I have seen optioned by reputable sources is that it came from a weapons lab in Wuhan either as an accident or sabotage.

What gives the latter credence is that Iran had a sudden blast on infections and it is known that Chinese Scientists have been working closing with their Nuclear program.

I watched a video from 2010 today on Youtube where an ex military special ops from Britain tells a story regarding China catching a cough in the year 2020, and that it would spread across the globe like wildfire. I can post a link, but it goes into other areas that may not be acceptable on the site. I'm really not sure what to make of it.... I think I can't honestly comprehend what I heard.

2wayPlay

Dec 25, 2018
Its gonna be real bad in US. Real real bad. It already is real bad but people are not tested for it yet so we just dont know how bad it is. But we will see in next couple of days. Be ready for the bad news. USA is not doing enough to avoid a disaster imo. Can get very very ugly there.

I mean everything is starting to get shut down. I would say in one weeks time from now I wouldn’t be surprised if most of if not all the Country is in quarantine/lock down. I find it hard to believe some bats caused all this. Makes you wonder....

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Nobody knows at this point. All kinds of wild speculation out there, but there is the theory that Jacob posted and the only other one I have seen optioned by reputable sources is that it came from a weapons lab in Wuhan either as an accident or sabotage.

What gives the latter credence is that Iran had a sudden blast on infections and it is known that Chinese Scientists have been working closing with their Nuclear program.

I watched a video from 2010 today on Youtube where an ex military special ops from Britain tells a story regarding China catching a cough in the year 2020, and that it would spread across the globe like wildfire. I can post a link, but it goes into other areas that may not be acceptable on the site. I'm really not sure what to make of it.... I think I can't honestly comprehend what I heard.

Not that I would put anything past the Chinese, who I think are a rogue nation. I trust them about as much as I do Kirk around a Country Buffet or Golden Corral during an early bird special.

However that theory which is spreading was from a 1981 novel. It is a very cool, but false, coincidence and people are quoting the novel's passages as if they were real life.

No, Dean Koontz did not predict the coronavirus in a 1981 novel

By Harmeet Kaur, CNN
Updated 4:46 PM ET, Fri March 13, 2020

Dean Koontz did not predict the coronavirus in a 1981 novel - CNN

Reactions: billybudd

Malkinstheman

Aug 12, 2012
Chinese wet markets. Exotic animals and people in close proximity without even an afterthought for hygiene. Something jumped from either a pangolin or bat to human and then spread on. Literally the exact same story as SARS in 2002, only difference was it was civets.

As if China's taste for exotic animals for food and herbal medicine wasn't damaging enough to the animals, now it's killing humans. Shit's gotta stop.

China bans human consumption and trade of wild animals

A couple of weeks ago China supposedly banned consumption of wild animals. They did something like this after Sars but then got rid of it so who knows. I also dont know they enforce this in rural parts of China.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
Not that I would put anything past the Chinese, who I think are a rogue nation. I trust them about as much as I do Kirk around a Country Buffet or Golden Corral during an early bird special.

However that theory which is spreading was from a 1981 novel. It is a very cool, but false, coincidence and people are quoting the novel's passages as if they were real life.

What I appreciate is that the rest of the paragraph after the highlighted part describes something that can’t survive outside of the body for more than a minute. At least crop that part out.

Coastal Kev

Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC

Interesting. But the video I watched was posted in 2010 and the Brit gives the year... 2020

But it did start at the end of 19... who knows... but i found it very weird.

Reactions: Jaded-Fan

Coastal Kev

Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
Reactions: BillPrep

Dangles78

Oct 14, 2012
Pittsburgh
Went out to eat tonight at Tako. Took precautions wiping down area, hand sanitizer, etc. You would not know a single thing is going on. People are out to eat and having a good time.

Yup, I reluctantly went out too for dinner and a drink at a tavern close to home in Wexford. People touching their faces, railings, door handles, each other. It's ok to continue on with our lives, but people need to change their habits slightly; it's not permanent and everyone is capable of having the self awareness of the little things they do.

Reactions: ColePens

deakka

Nov 6, 2009
What do you guys think of closed schools/daycare?

In Sweden 2 of the countries next to us have closed the schools. But that decision has not been made here yet.

The reasoning is that if you close down schools you will lose too many important workers that has to stay at home with the children. I mean, even doctors/nurses need to stay at home with their children if they dont have school/daycare.

Also there's a lot other important work in society that you can't lose atm, not just those who work with healthcare. Like grocery stores, police, retirement home workers, fire departments etc.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ

Prague is completely shut down and I think my girlfriend and I are going to have to self-quarantine, because she’s in the air back from NYC as we speak.

Shit’s getting real.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad