Regarding Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
Sadly I believe that the deaths are going to climb to levels that will shock people. 100,000 plus in this country alone. Maybe 200,000. Over a million world wide.

That is a change of opinion for me from only a couple of weeks ago.

I think it will get there. But not quickly enough to stop people from going outside.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
People are more resilient than you think. They can sacrifice and accept a lot. If they believe that it is necessary. But they do need to believe that it is necessary.

So far I think that they do, and will continue as long as respected medical experts agree that it is needed.

People will do that as long as they can buy groceries and pay their mortgages.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
I think it will get there. But not quickly enough to stop people from going outside.

Maybe. I really hope that I am wrong.

If not though someday read about the time of World War II, and what people accepted and embraced. People can surprise you at times. And sometimes, especially in the worst times, surprise you in the best ways.

Reactions: pixiesfanyo

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com

If not though someday read about the time of World War II, and what people accepted and embraced. People can surprise you at times. And sometimes, especially in the worst times, surprise you in the best ways.

The importance is having the guidance of our leaders and buy in to sacrifice and not support airlines trying to turn a profit.

Reactions: CascadiaPenguin

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
The importance is having the guidance of our leaders and buy in to sacrifice and not support airlines trying to turn a profit.

I want airlines and hotels after this is done, thanks very much. If they can stipulate and fix the stock buyback thing, I very much hope to be able to travel in this country after this is over.

Reactions: Jaded-Fan

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018

It was a lot easier to embrace things together than separately (or arguing on HFboards).

Aw hell arguing on Hf boards gives is all social strength hah

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
It was a lot easier to embrace things together than separately (or arguing on HFboards).

Aw hell arguing on Hf boards gives is all social strength hah

I am all for arguing, and being jaded for that matter. About things that in the grand scheme of things do not matter much. Sports. Politics. Stupid celebrities. Me getting married or not.

But when we are facing an unknown, but likely shockingly high, number of deaths in our neighborhoods, states, country and world. When every one of us likely will lose someone that they know, who but for this virus would still be alive. Forever lose.

I prefer to be uncharacteristically optimistic about all of you and all of us. Because it does matter.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
Can I just say China is the worst State in the world? Like, the absolute worst thing about planet earth is that government. This seems like a good time to say that. And all my Asian peeps say amen.

Reactions: MrRuckus

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
I am all for arguing, and being jaded for that matter. About things that in the grand scheme of things do not matter much.

When we are facing an unknown, but likely shockingly high, number of deaths in our neighborhoods, states, country and world. When every one of us likely will lose someone that they know, who but for this virus would still be alive. Forever lose.

I prefer to be uncharacteristically optimistic about all of you and all of us. Because it does matter.

Well if people avoid each other and wash their damn hands for rest of March and April, this shouldn’t get to that point

Reactions: Jaded-Fan

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
This is most comparable to war time measures, but it’ll be interesting to note the differences. During the World Wars, people had enemies they could see and fight, and their media was full of war propaganda. This microbe is invisible and the media has its heart set on stoking anxiety.

Reactions: ZeroPucksGiven

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
This is most comparable to war time measures, but it’ll be interesting to note the differences. During the World Wars, people had enemies they could see and fight, and their media was full of war propaganda. This microbe is invisible and the media has its heart set on stoking anxiety.

The media needs to stoke anxiety just to get all the nasty, vile mfers out there to do simple hygiene like washing their hands.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
The media needs to stoke anxiety just to get all the nasty, vile mfers out there to do simple hygiene like washing their hands.

And click their links.

Ya know, I was watching the CNN broadcast earlier and they were super pissed about this backdrop of a pier in San Francisco where people were walking/jogging/rollerblading. You had the sense that it was a pier that normally gets a metric ton of foot traffic, but it still had markedly less - maybe 50% less at least. And the reporter noted that car traffic was nonexistent compared to usual. Isn't this...good? The models of social distancing don't have transmission going to 0. They still have some people moving around.

It will never go to 0 in this country. The point is to spread the impact out, not stop the thing outright. The cat is way too far out of the bag for the latter to ever happen. And it just made me sad to hear people being ripped on for jogging/rollerblading down a pier.

I hope a vaccine arrives and fast and in big f*****g numbers. Beyond the economic catastrophe this is inflicting, this is going to ruin our civil society. Looking around in a park thinking about who the carriers are.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad