Post-Game Talk: Refs win another, remain undefeated in their careers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Fourth line was really good. Second line was good. First and third were bad, and seeing JT with Matty and Mitch just confirms he doesn't have it any more (unless he's injured).

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

ITM

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe...
Jan 26, 2012
Peeke of 21/22 would be an amazing acquisition... I wonder if he'll get his game back after a move.

Brodie on his left side, without Mo, has been quite good.
Gio I agree, the Best Before Date has expired.

Timmins potential is questionable, more due to durability issues, than necessarily ability... we haven't seen him in long enough stretches to really know what we have. His on Ice results, actual goals scored against when he is out there, are nearly the best on the team. I know some people don't like the stat, but his xGA is best on the team. (For D). He makes gaffes, that we remember and that's what we think about, but overall, the results for the team are quite good when he's out there. Smallish sample signs are challenging though.
Wouldn't mind Seeler as well.

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
xGF% for the lines last night:
Matthews line: 68.64
Kampf line: 56.09
Tavares line: 23.86
Domi line: 15.14

Still my lines for the playoffs so far:

Knies/Matthews/Marner
Bertuzzi/Tavares/Nylander
Robertson/Domi/Jarnkrok
Holmberg/Kampf/McMann
Reeves

These lines have performed the best so far this season in their roles.

Still want to see the current 2nd/3rd lines at least another game but I can only take so much of them getting run over.

Reactions: SeaOfBlue

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Missed the game.

Still not over 6 LHD defence. Not a single RHD.

Still sounds like this team wins in spite of Keefe. Roster decisions yesterday shows an inability to adapt and recognize what is painfully obvious.

On to the next.
The result had nothing to do with Roster decisions. The team was flat yesterday, it happens. You play 6 LHD, if that is all you have that are healthy.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
Pipe dream:

Rielly Tanev
Hanifin Lily
Benoit McCabe

:laugh:
Thank God that it will only remain a pipe dream for you.

Tanev is off to Dallas.

Hanifin is not likely coming here unless he is a pure rental. I don't want to give up any assets for a few weeks of his services. He wants to play in the U.S. of A.

Maybe Tanev signs with our Leafs in the off season?

ZEBROA

Dec 21, 2017
xGF% for the lines last night:
Matthews line: 68.64
Kampf line: 56.09
Tavares line: 23.86
Domi line: 15.14

Still my lines for the playoffs so far:

Knies/Matthews/Marner
Bertuzzi/Tavares/Nylander
Robertson/Domi/Jarnkrok
Holmberg/Kampf/McMann
Reeves

These lines have performed the best so far this season in their roles.

Still want to see the current 2nd/3rd lines at least another game but I can only take so much of them getting run over.
Never ever ever eeever put Tavares wiith Nylander again. Dont care if xGF% is 0 on the Nylander line. Dont want Tavares back, rather have jarnkrok at C.

I would give the 2nd 3rdlines way more games then one more. Tavares Nylander sucked 20+games.

Does xGF% take in account players that shoot from highdanger spots that has been read by the other teams players since last time?. In those cases the usualy highdanger chances should be way less dangerous then they seem.

Should a line with Matthews always have a high xGF% because of his crazy good scoring ability or is it the opposite? Because he scores from place you should not score from ever.

These might be silly questions but i never dove into the advanced stats.
I belive they can say something long term, but maby not as much in one game.

Tarmore

Nov 11, 2008
Why can other NHL teams go on EXTENDED winning streaks, and our Leafs can't even make it to 8 in a row.

I'm once again disappointed with our core players. They came to the game but failed to play to their best once again.

Taveras needs to retire if he can't play DECENT and SMART hockey anymore. He's a waste of space at $11M AAV. League minimum after next season, or play elsewhere John !!!

The Refs definitely missed some calls and made up a couple of phantom calls against the Blue and White. The SC champions shouldn't really need help from Bettman's ringers. They already have WON a SC in their short stint in the NHL.

Here are all the 'other' teams you speak of....

All 6 of em!
TeamWinning StreakStartEnd
1 Edmonton Oilers 16 Dec 21 Jan 27
2 New York Rangers 10 Jan 27 Feb 24
3 Florida Panthers 9 Dec 23 Jan 11
Seattle Kraken 9 Dec 20 Jan 13
5 Edmonton Oilers 8 Nov 24 Dec 12
Winnipeg Jets 8 Dec 30 Jan 11
7 Toronto Maple Leafs 7 Feb 13 Feb 24
Vegas Golden Knights 7 Oct 10 Oct 24

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
Never ever ever eeever put Tavares wiith Nylander again. Dont care if xGF% is 0 on the Nylander line. Dont want Tavares back, rather have jarnkrok at C.

I would give the 2nd 3rdlines way more games then one more. Tavares Nylander sucked 20+games.

Does xGF% take in account players that shoot from highdanger spots that has been read by the other teams players since last time?. In those cases the usualy highdanger chances should be way less dangerous then they seem.

Should a line with Matthews always have a high xGF% because of his crazy good scoring ability or is it the opposite? Because he scores from place you should not score from ever.

These might be silly questions but i never dove into the advanced stats.
I belive they can say something long term, but maby not as much in one game.

xGF% is combined offense and defense 5v5 taking into account how dangerous a shot is both ways.

We can track O and D independently too.

If you want to get into everything including less advanced stats and outcomes, my opinion remains the same, even with the Tavares 3rd line having a decnet goal differential too.

Maybe just do counts and ignore xGF%?

Bertuzzi/Tavares/Nylander:
TOI: 354:46
Shot Differential: 218-174
Scoring Chance Differential: 226-151
High Danger Chance Differential: 100-61
Goal Differential: 16-12

Lack of finish from both Tavares and especially Bertuzzi hurt this line a bit but still one of the better 2nd lines in the league IMO. Just Bertuzzi being able to pop in a couple of more instead of blowing pucks wide or hitting posts and I dont think they get split up.

Bertuzzi/Domi/Nylander:
TOI: 66:58
Shot Differential: 42-36
Scoring Chance Differential: 31-45
High Danger Chance Differential: 9-19
Goal Differential: 5-5

Domi seems a little lost defensively in 2nd line minutes and far more at home playing the 3rd line.

I'm down to see some more for sure as it's good to have more familiarity through the lineup and to see a greater example of course but we also should take into account just how solid Robertson/Domi/Jarkrok was as the third line as well.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
lol bro relax. 7 game winning streak in the NHL is extremely hard to do, considering we were missing our best defenseman for 5 of them. You acting like every team in the league has gone on a 7 game winning streak or more.

We were bound to lose a game.
Yes, our Leafs were bound to lose a game. However, it would have been nice to avoid the inevitable for a few more games. A 10 game winning streak would have been beautiful !!!

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

ZEBROA

Dec 21, 2017
xGF% is combined offense and defense 5v5 taking into account how dangerous a shot is both ways.

We can track O and D independently too.

If you want to get into everything including less advanced stats and outcomes, my opinion remains the same, even with the Tavares 3rd line having a decnet goal differential too.

Maybe just do counts and ignore xGF%?

Bertuzzi/Tavares/Nylander:
TOI: 354:46
Shot Differential: 218-174
Scoring Chance Differential: 226-151
High Danger Chance Differential: 100-61
Goal Differential: 16-12

Lack of finish from both Tavares and especially Bertuzzi hurt this line a bit but still one of the better 2nd lines in the league IMO. Just Bertuzzi being able to pop in a couple of more instead of blowing pucks wide or hitting posts and I dont think they get split up.

Bertuzzi/Domi/Nylander:
TOI: 66:58
Shot Differential: 42-36
Scoring Chance Differential: 31-45
High Danger Chance Differential: 9-19
Goal Differential: 5-5

Domi seems a little lost defensively in 2nd line minutes and far more at home playing the 3rd line.

I'm down to see some more for sure as it's good to have more familiarity through the lineup and to see a greater example of course but we also should take into account just how solid Robertson/Domi/Jarkrok was as the third line as well.
Thanks for the breakdown.
Is there any one else you see could work as C that is better suited with Nylander style? Can jarnkrok play at C or alternate with Nylander? A bit risky this far in the season. The problem for me is that when Tavares if off Nylander cant drag him and vice versa. I just want the best for our team and favor the player in his prime vesus the veteran.

Tavares was fantastic at the beginning of the year but has slowed down way to much. He probably need some rest. I only want Tavares with Nylander in the playoffs If he is realy well rested.

Reactions: Zybalto

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
Thanks for the breakdown.
Is there any one else you see could work as C that is better suited with Nylander style? Can jarnkrok play at C or alternate with Nylander? A bit risky this far in the season. The problem for me is that when Tavares if off Nylander cant drag him and vice versa. I just want the best for our team and favor the player in his prime vesus the veteran.

Tavares was fantastic at the beginning of the year but has slowed down way to much. He probably need some rest. I only want Tavares with Nylander in the playoffs If he is realy well rested.

You're right in that Tavares does seem better when rested and some kind of load management might be the key before the playoffs but even then, Nylander splits away from having Tavares or Matthews this season are awful (34.71 xGF%, 33.75 goal differential in 134 minutes) overall so I'm not sure what the answer is there.

Lost in all of this and much harder to see is the fact Tavares is having probably the best defensive season of his career to go along with being a top 10 in the NHL faceoff guy which is why his splits are still so good despite his finishing tailing off. If he can regain just a little bit more of his finishing magic then I dont think we have as much of an issue here.

I do expect a bounce back against the hapless Yotes tonight but if those 2 lines get filled in again against them, do you want to see them again against the Bruins and Rangers?

ZEBROA

Dec 21, 2017
You're right in that Tavares does seem better when rested and some kind of load management might be the key before the playoffs but even then, Nylander splits away from having Tavares or Matthews this season are awful (34.71 xGF%, 33.75 goal differential in 134 minutes) overall so I'm not sure what the answer is there.

Lost in all of this and much harder to see is the fact Tavares is having probably the best defensive season of his career to go along with being a top 10 in the NHL faceoff guy which is why his splits are still so good despite his finishing tailing off. If he can regain just a little bit more of his finishing magic then I dont think we have as much of an issue here.

I do expect a bounce back against the hapless Yotes tonight but if those 2 lines get filled in again against them, do you want to see them again against the Bruins and Rangers?

I belive that fast good twoway forwards would be best with Nylander. Domi and Bert might be fast but i dont know about there D skills.

It is frustrating to see Nylander clearly having another gear if playing with faster players.

Dmen has a part of this to, first pass and so on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad