Post-Game Talk: Refs win another, remain undefeated in their careers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Peeke of 21/22 would be an amazing acquisition... I wonder if he'll get his game back after a move.

Brodie on his left side, without Mo, has been quite good.
Gio I agree, the Best Before Date has expired.

Timmins potential is questionable, more due to durability issues, than necessarily ability... we haven't seen him in long enough stretches to really know what we have. His on Ice results, actual goals scored against when he is out there, are nearly the best on the team. I know some people don't like the stat, but his xGA is best on the team. (For D). He makes gaffes, that we remember and that's what we think about, but overall, the results for the team are quite good when he's out there. Smallish sample signs are challenging though.
Regardless of whether Brodie plays better on the left side as opposed to the right, he still shy’s away from the physical side of the game, not what I want from a D man especially for a playoff run……..

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Regardless of whether Brodie plays better on the left side as opposed to the right, he still shy’s away from the physical side of the game, not what I want from a D man especially for a playoff run……..
I get it.. but realistically, we aren't going to get a partner for Mo, and then move Brodie and replace him too.

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007
I was at the game tonight. First game live in a couple months. Bad game. Still had a great time.

What I noticed being live vs watching on TV
I am a GIO fan and supporter but he is COOKED.
Lost some weight to gain a bit of a speed advantage but he is old, slow and now a lightweight.

Samsonov just doesn't make the big save. At the end of the night everyone always says he was fine, not the goalies fault. But had he made the save on the JT giveaway that is a different game.
If Woll doesn't rise to be our starting playoff goalie we are cooked.

Domi is not the answer as a 2nd line centre against good teams.

JT might be hurt...he played like it.

Benoit another guy I love can't be overplayed. He is just that split second slower making decisions that is required. Fine as a 3rd pair and PK guy.

LOVED McCABE!!

Reactions: OddyOh and Al14

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
There is that thing called the salary cap. This just isn't realistic this season... off season, sure.
Lots of options once the likes of Gio, Brodie, are off the books, ditto for the following year when JT is gone, but that doesn’t help this year, if they stand pat I don’t see them being good enough for a run, maybe a series, but that’s about it.……

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
Meh not concerned. Was bound to lose again, especially aginst the champs afterr we beat them last week

Gotta bounce back
Why can other NHL teams go on EXTENDED winning streaks, and our Leafs can't even make it to 8 in a row.

I'm once again disappointed with our core players. They came to the game but failed to play to their best once again.

Taveras needs to retire if he can't play DECENT and SMART hockey anymore. He's a waste of space at $11M AAV. League minimum after next season, or play elsewhere John !!!

The Refs definitely missed some calls and made up a couple of phantom calls against the Blue and White. The SC champions shouldn't really need help from Bettman's ringers. They already have WON a SC in their short stint in the NHL.

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
Why can other NHL teams go on EXTENDED winning streaks, and our Leafs can't even make it to 8 in a row.

I'm once again disappointed with our core players. They came to the game but failed to play to their best once again.

Taveras needs to retire if he can't play DECENT and SMART hockey anymore. He's a waste of space at $11M AAV. League minimum after next season, or play elsewhere John !!!

The Refs definitely missed some calls and made up a couple of phantom calls against the Blue and White. The SC champions shouldn't really need help from Bettman's ringers. They already have WON a SC in their short stint in the NHL.
lol bro relax. 7 game winning streak in the NHL is extremely hard to do, considering we were missing our best defenseman for 5 of them. You acting like every team in the league has gone on a 7 game winning streak or more.

We were bound to lose a game.

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
I am always surprised that more people are not picking up on this as an issue. I get that he had a few good games, but in tight playoff games he cannot be the answer at centre on the second or third lines.

Reactions: The Iceman

rumman

Sep 10, 2008

This team can’t compete when the core guys don’t play up to their potential, guess you could say that about every team, but it’s more impactful when half the cap goes to 4 players…….

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I am always surprised that more people are not picking up on this as an issue. I get that he had a few good games, but in tight playoff games he cannot be the answer at centre on the second or third lines.
Most have known that since the moment he was signed.

Reactions: Leaf Rocket

GoonieFace

Jun 24, 2013
The Matrix
That was probably never the plan, but with JT the corpse on the team, he was thrown into that position. Maybe they address it, maybe they don’t.

Reactions: Seath The Scaleless

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
it was a good defensive gmee until 1st goal of the night, after leafs was looking like a tired team...

2nd goal was all domi fsult who was sleeping on the ice and was the only player to dont cover his own guy...

3nd goal was jt bad risky play...

4th goal, just watch nylander be so soft. He had the best spot on 1v1 battle, lost it and completly stop playing. if nylander just battling, this goal never happen

i heard a lot of people blaming rielly and brodie but 3 of 4 goal was result of foward being soft..

was looking like the reverse scenario than last game vs vegas where vegas became flat after 1st leafs goal. I said it than vegas was soft in that game. In this one it was toronto who started to be soft after barbashev goal.

those kind of game happening but now its how toronto will respond on next one.

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
That was probably never the plan, but with JT the corpse on the team, he was thrown into that position. Maybe they address it, maybe they don’t.
I agree that I don't think it was ever the plan. It will be interesting to see how it plays out.

All Mod Cons

Sep 7, 2018
I think it's more a case of picking your battles. We can't add a 2nd line centre to what this team needs at the deadline. There is already too much for what assets we have.

No 1 priority is sorting out who Rielly plays with.

After that we honestly need a #3D, 1LW, 2C, 3C and maybe even a goalie.

VanW27

Jun 9, 2003
Canada
This has been an ongoing issue since Kadri was traded. They only came to camp with 3 NHL centre's once again - Matthews, Tavares, Kampf.

I said this when Minten made the team, good on him for forcing the team to give him a chance but he doesn't make the team if we have any type of 3C caliber player. We've been forcing a winger who can play centre into that 3C slot for the last 5 years, Domi, Kerfoot, Engvall, etc. Is having 4 NHL C's on the roster that hard of a thing to figure out?

meefer

Jun 9, 2015
Bangkok
I was at the game tonight. First game live in a couple months. Bad game. Still had a great time.

What I noticed being live vs watching on TV
I am a GIO fan and supporter but he is COOKED.
Lost some weight to gain a bit of a speed advantage but he is old, slow and now a lightweight.

Samsonov just doesn't make the big save. At the end of the night everyone always says he was fine, not the goalies fault. But had he made the save on the JT giveaway that is a different game.
If Woll doesn't rise to be our starting playoff goalie we are cooked.

JT might be hurt...he played like it.

Benoit another guy I love can't be overplayed. He is just that split second slower making decisions that is required. Fine as a 3rd pair and PK guy.

LOVED McCABE!!
So nice to hear. Carry on.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
I think it's clear that neither Rielly or Brodie should be asked to play on the right side anymore.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
For what it’s worth, to those speculating, JT said he’s healthy in his post game availability

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad