Post-Game Talk: Refs try their best to help the Sabres but it's not enough. Leafs win 5-3!

Status
Not open for further replies.

kevsh

Nov 28, 2018
That doesn't make sense when Hyman was suspended for 2 games for something similar. The one thing different is that Hyman didn't hit someone from behind. They were late hits. One was penalized and suspended, the other isn't even being reviewed.

Consistency? Not in my NHL.

No argument there on Hyman's call, I am only giving my view on the Okposo hit on it's own (as if I was hired by the league to review hits today, based on my interpretation of the rules, I let that one go).

The NHL will never be consistent on calls, all we can do is offer our own opinion on what we think is a fair hit or not.

Reactions: ACC1224

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Hyman was suspended for less just last season for a late hit. Kerfoot was suspended for a crosscheck from behind.

This was both of these things. A hit from behind and late. Definitely a 5 and a game, probably a 1 game suspension at the very least.

If you aren't going to suspend players for it, then don't. But there's clear evidence otherwise.
Different rules for Jacobs team fool ... chm of board has its privileges. Good for Dermy to get up and not make a mockery of situation too. That's how real hockey players do it. You don't lay on ice for 5 minutes and make it worse - despicable.

Reactions: Chompchompr

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I'm questioning a hockey play and presented a clear cut example that is met with the most ridiculous explanation. But somehow I don't get it while then questioning my maturity.

Let's move on.
Well you do seem a little upset by it all.

Not sure what's so ridiculous. Distance away from the boards is a big part of these calls.

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

Throw More Waffles

Unprecedented Dramatic Overpayments
Oct 9, 2015
I know I’m going to get crucified by some if not most of you fellow Leafers ..and that’s ok !
I’m probably the minority and god knows I come from a different era and played kinda like you could say er hm greasy and kinda er hmm dirty in my time but also died by the sword on many many occasion and deservingly so ..and gave the face and body to prove it lol
But
it was a bad hit , but not horrible , I really don’t think it should be a suspension though
Should have been a penalty , maybe double minor , er long shot major ? Not so sure though
But not a suspension
Sorry mates
I agree with this as well. Most certainly deserved 2 minutes, and the ref was looking right at it... but I digress.

But I also think the Hyman suspension hit was cleaner than that hit. I just want these rules to applied fairly and consistently.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
No argument there on Hyman's call, I am only giving my view on the Okposo hit on it's own (as if I was hired by the league to review hits today, based on my interpretation of the rules, I let that one go).

The NHL will never be consistent on calls, all we can do is offer our own opinion on what we think is a fair hit or not.

That's the problem. If there wasn't clear evidence of previous incidents penalized AND suspended for these kind of hits, then fine let these late hits go to your hearts content until players keep getting injured.

But this isn't anything new. This is a league wide problem. One week you'll get penalized for sneezing on a player, then next week you won't even get suspended for a clear violation of player safety. But yeah... I'm sure Dermott 'embellishment' getting crushed from behind well after the NHLs 0.6 rule isn't a big deal at all.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
Things look worse and it's more dangerous when the player is away from the boards.
Hyman probably shouldn't have been suspended either. I don't recall, did McAvoy miss time?
I don't think he missed anytime, but I could be wrong. My feeling is that he returned that game, but really guessing there.
Agreed on the danger part, but it wasn't a dirty hit at all other than maybe a tad late, and that's borderline.
I think since leafs nation is hot about the refereeing currently, and a fairly league wide acceptance that Boston gets calls and gets away with no calls gives that particular play more heat.
End of the day the hit on dermott was dirty and deserved a penalty and that's what bothers me. It was a dangerous hit and dirty, from behind, and was not called.

Reactions: Zacman

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
His edge work and powerful legs while quickly turning around along the boards is incredible while he keeps his feet moving. Even the top D in the league have trouble with that move.
And he's getting better at it. I've also noted he is stripping the puck from the defense a lot more this season along the boards. I hope he continues along this trend

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
I don't think he missed anytime, but I could be wrong. My feeling is that he returned that game, but really guessing there.
Agreed on the danger part, but it wasn't a dirty hit at all other than maybe a tad late, and that's borderline.
I think since leafs nation is hot about the refereeing currently, and a fairly league wide acceptance that Boston gets calls and gets away with no calls gives that particular play more heat.
End of the day the hit on dermott was dirty and deserved a penalty and that's what bothers me. It was a dangerous hit and dirty, from behind, and was not called.
Big difference. McWimp was hit shoulder to shoulder but in a bad spot a few feet from boards. But he was watching his pass. Used to be if you were puck watching and got drilled it was your fault. To me a 2 minute interference penalty.
Dermy was face planted in boards but was close to boards. So he probably hit his head into glass. He saw the guy was there and positioned himself for the blow. My issue was the elbow. To me it was 4 minutes - 2 for elbow and 2 for board.
But because one guy lays on ice and other guy gets up it is treated differently. Also how far from boards has it impact too.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
Big difference. McWimp was hit shoulder to shoulder but in a bad spot a few feet from boards. But he was watching his pass. Used to be if you were puck watching and got drilled it was your fault. To me a 2 minute interference penalty.
Dermy was face planted in boards but was close to boards. So he probably hit his head into glass. He saw the guy was there and positioned himself for the blow. My issue was the elbow. To me it was 4 minutes - 2 for elbow and 2 for board.
But because one guy lays on ice and other guy gets up it is treated differently. Also how far from boards has it impact too.
Not sure why you're saying big difference as your post is agreeing with everything I've said.

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

Eye Test

End the soft perimeter hockey.
Apr 13, 2019
Toronto
And he's getting better at it. I've also noted he is stripping the puck from the defense a lot more this season along the boards. I hope he continues along this trend

Ya he is definitely above average at that when he chooses to engage.

He’s elite at once he does that sharp turn he finds the trailing guy 9/10 times but I would like him to be more aggressive in getting his own opportunities off his edge work.hopefully with time he doe s

Reactions: saltming

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Maybe it is me but I don't know what the NHL is seeing when it is clear as day that was a late and dangerous hit. Just a pure f'n joke league when it comes to discipline.
Agreed all I can say one guy plays on Jacob's team and layed on ice for 5 minutes. Another guy plays on cash cow team and got up croggy without causing a scene and skated to bench. It is a JOKE as you say. But I'd rather be guy taking the hit and getting to bench. It used to be better rewarded in NHL. Today's game maybe best to lay on ice and fake it like McBaby and Enforcers kid.

Reactions: Chompchompr

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
Ya he is definitely above average at that when he chooses to engage.

He’s elite at once he does that sharp turn he finds the trailing guy 9/10 times but I would like him to be more aggressive in getting his own opportunities off his edge work.hopefully with time he doe s
I think that will come if/when he learns to read the defense better. Right now he backs them off which creates space for the trailer. If he can figure out how to use that as bait to open a lane to the net, it would be the coup de gras for his offense

Reactions: Eye Test

Teeder Keon

Defeat does not rest lightly on their shoulders
Mar 11, 2019
Deep in the Purple jungles of BC
We have both done much worse and got no penalty either. Game called differently now. Used to be ref would let one go and then other team would giv er one and it would be let go because ref missed one or two before. A guy would get reefed in front of net and 2 shifts later he would ram your head into glass and ref would let it go as we used to police the game ourselves. It was an eye for an eye game. Today it was probably a 4 minute penalty because it was a charge using an elbow into a defenseless player.
Totally agreed
I’m trying always not to be biased That’s all
I thought the penalty on JT was absolutely embarrassing tho

Teeder Keon

Defeat does not rest lightly on their shoulders
Mar 11, 2019
Deep in the Purple jungles of BC
I disagree teeder. Entering the zone at a high speed while all the defenders are trying to slow you down is definately not the easiest thing in hockey, it’s actually a very high skilled play. It’s why on the power play only nylander,marner and Matthews receive the drop passes and then weave through the other team.

If it was truly easy we would see the Goat flying through the neutral zone and gaining the offensive zone every shift but we don’t. It’s a very very highly skilled play/hockey iq.

Rewatch that nylander play at our blue line because I know exactly what one you were referring to. He was tired end of a shift but actually made 2 good plays even though it might have been perceived as weak and then made a good change.

Cheers
Will do
I will re watch it
Thanks

Reactions: Eye Test

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Yes distance from boards is a factor but a hit from behind is a penalty all on it's own. Also not called
I get confused with all the calls. Is there a hit from behind penalty? I never heard of one from years ago. But maybe my kids have.
I know there is a board penalty. I know there is an elbow penalty. and I have been called for both at same time so I know they can be called like that.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
I get confused with all the calls. Is there a hit from behind penalty? I never heard of one from years ago. But maybe my kids have.
I know there is a board penalty. I know there is an elbow penalty. and I have been called for both at same time so I know they can be called like that.
Yup
43.1 Checking from Behind:
A check from behind is a check delivered on a player who is not aware of the impending hit, therefore unable to protect or defend himself, and contact is made on the back part of the body. When a player intentionally turns his body to create contact with his back, no penalty shall be assessed.​

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Yup
43.1 Checking from Behind:
A check from behind is a check delivered on a player who is not aware of the impending hit, therefore unable to protect or defend himself, and contact is made on the back part of the body. When a player intentionally turns his body to create contact with his back, no penalty shall be assessed.​
Thanks for clarifying that. Well then maybe it was 3 calls on same play - elbow, checking from behind and board. 6 minutes. I have never seen a 6 minute call ever though.

Reactions: saltming

Tlo1

Nov 6, 2017
Im annoyed with Reilly on the 2nd and 3rd sabres goals. On the 2nd if he's not going to 1. tie up a man or 2. block the shot, get out of the f***ing way instead of screening the goalie. On the 3rd goal he goes for a lame half ass hit at the blueline and misses, play gets behind him and were outmanned deep in our zone resulting in a goal. He made a great play to Mathews streaking in but its like he created 1 goal for and 2 against. His frequent mental lapses in our end are so frustrating!

Eye Test

Apr 13, 2019
Toronto

How far you are from the boards has a HUGE impact. Now which in your opinion is more dangerous...closer or farther?

Eye Test

Apr 13, 2019
Toronto

It’s only a penalty in the GTHL not the NHL they call it boarding in the NHL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad