Refs need to start showing Kreider respect

Kel Varnsen

Below: Nash's Heart
Sep 27, 2009
He's a physical freak out there. He's only an inch shorter than Nash, but he has 20 pounds on him and is faster than everyone else on the ice all the time. The problem there with the penalties is that he's so big and strong that when he touches people, they usually fall down and hard.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
If Kreider keeps his elbow down the whole time I don't think it gets called. He brought the elbow up into MAF on the follow through. Tough call.

If he didn't get hit from behind by Letang I don't think there is any collision with Fleury. The other thing the puck never left his stick and he got the shot off before colliding with Fleury--the goal should have counted IMO--even if he got a penalty. He didn't interfere with Fleury's ability to stop the puck. Want to give him an elbowing--I think it's a bit of a reach--the goal should have counted even so.

Kreider was flying in the first two periods. He didn't seem to play a lot in the third. A big guy like that who is that powerful and can skate that well--it's intimidating not only for the opposition--the officials too sometimes are out of their comfort zone. I don't know if he's faster than Hagelin--he might be--but it's a whole different thing because of Kreider's size and strength.

KOVALEV022473

Feb 24, 2014
Tomkins Cove, NY
If he didn't get hit from behind by Letang I don't think there is any collision with Fleury. The other thing the puck never left his stick and he got the shot off before colliding with Fleury--the goal should have counted IMO--even if he got a penalty. He didn't interfere with Fleury's ability to stop the puck. Want to give him an elbowing--I think it's a bit of a reach--the goal should have counted even so.

Kreider was flying in the first two periods. He didn't seem to play a lot in the third. A big guy like that who is that powerful and can skate that well--it's intimidating not only for the opposition--the officials too sometimes are out of their comfort zone. I don't know if he's faster than Hagelin--he might be--but it's a whole different thing because of Kreider's size and strength.
This^ KREIDER is a beast! He's gonna be a real special player for us. I also wonder if size play a large part in Boyle's lack of a real physical game?
I've played with some kids that were way bigger than anyone else and their parents always told them to take it easy as to not hurt anyone.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
This^ KREIDER is a beast! He's gonna be a real special player for us. I also wonder if size play a large part in Boyle's lack of a real physical game?
I've played with some kids that were way bigger than anyone else and their parents always told them to take it easy as to not hurt anyone.

Boyle leads the team in hits in the postseason--been involved in our only fight. Been in a lot of scrums. He's been very noticeable physically IMO. Killed a lot of penalties--blocked a lot of shots. Works really well with Dominic Moore. To me Boyle is a great 4th liner and a guy who always plays better in the playoffs.

KOVALEV022473

Feb 24, 2014
Tomkins Cove, NY
Boyle leads the team in hits in the postseason--been involved in our only fight. Been in a lot of scrums. He's been very noticeable physically IMO. Killed a lot of penalties--blocked a lot of shots. Works really well with Dominic Moore. To me Boyle is a great 4th liner and a guy who always plays better in the playoffs.

I agree. I love Boyler. I hope we sign him to a 3 year deal. I was just wondering if his lack of a very heavy physical game is a result of parents, youth coaches telling him that he's so big he can really hurt someone. I mean, let's be honest, an individual standing at 6' 7" can do some real damage. This theory was evident in the Columbus game where Kreids was ejected for pretty much, being too strong! Shortly there after, he lost that physical edge for a while.

Jackson Ranger

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
It was a bad call especially when you see Kreider lunge forward and almost lose his balance after being hit from behind by Letang when he was within 5-10 feet of MAF. At that speed, there is not much he can do but protect himself.

Of course at that speed, means the ref has to make a split second decision and he made the wrong one IMO. I don't think the call was made because they disrespect CK.

yrrebbor

Jan 21, 2014
New York, NY
I agree. I love Boyler. I hope we sign him to a 3 year deal. I was just wondering if his lack of a very heavy physical game is a result of parents, youth coaches telling him that he's so big he can really hurt someone. I mean, let's be honest, an individual standing at 6' 7" can do some real damage. This theory was evident in the Columbus game where Kreids was ejected for pretty much, being too strong! Shortly there after, he lost that physical edge for a while.

I'm 6'2" and a 6'7" guy at 250lb coming at me would terrify me. He should be forced to go after Crosby!:laugh:

slipknottin

Apr 11, 2011
CT
He's a physical freak out there. He's only an inch shorter than Nash, but he has 20 pounds on him and is faster than everyone else on the ice all the time. The problem there with the penalties is that he's so big and strong that when he touches people, they usually fall down and hard.

I know you are going by official listed weight. But I would say Nash is as heavy or heavier than Kreider.

I would argue Kreider is closer to 220 and Nash 220+

NYR89

Jul 29, 2007
Pittsburgh, PA
I thought what got the penalty was how he flared his elbow out after contact rather than just going straight into MAF.

Still a bad call though. Glad it wasn't the difference.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
He definitely stuck his elbow out at the end. He needs to learn to toe the line better.

The call on Jokinen was garbage because it was a clear dive, but he can't put himself in that position. I love the edge he has in his game, but he's too much of a hot head right now. That'll even out as he matures.

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
Love that the Rangers are crashing into and on top of Fleury.

If there's a goalie that allows that stuff to creep into his head, Fleury is that guy.

He does not handle traffic very well.

We need to be less passive when we get tot he front. Being there is great, being there and being a distraction can be two different things. We need to be both. We HAVE been both the last two games.

We need to keep that up.

Kreider is fast becoming a player that opposing teams hate because of the disruptions he causes around the net.

He got hosed twice last night. First on the Jokinen dive and then getting pushed into the Flower.

As long as he doesn't change anything and continues to go to that area, the Rangers should be in good shape.

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
He definitely stuck his elbow out at the end. He needs to learn to toe the line better.

The call on Jokinen was garbage because it was a clear dive, but he can't put himself in that position. I love the edge he has in his game, but he's too much of a hot head right now. That'll even out as he matures.

I disagree.

every so often plays like this send a nice long lasting message.

MA Fleury will be thinking about Kreider next time and maybe for an instant forget the puck.

You give MAF something to think about OTHER than the game and that is alwasy a good thing.

I want more of that nasty/dirty edge to his game. I don't want less. He's going to learn when to pick his spots, but I wouldn't have had him change anything of that contact he had with Fleury there.

Raspewtin

May 30, 2013

I didn't mind the hit on Jokinen too much because the Pens were taking extra whacks at Lundqvist all night.

Kel Varnsen

Below: Nash's Heart
Sep 27, 2009
I know you are going by official listed weight. But I would say Nash is as heavy or heavier than Kreider.

I would argue Kreider is closer to 220 and Nash 220+

Kreider is an absolute gym rat. He was already 201 (at 6-2) when he was 18, that's astounding especially for a hockey player. Nash was only 180 (at 6-4). Looking at them, knowing their reputations and watching both of them play, I seriously doubt Nash is heavier.

Raspewtin

May 30, 2013
I disagree.

every so often plays like this send a nice long lasting message.

MA Fleury will be thinking about Kreider next time and maybe for an instant forget the puck.

You give MAF something to think about OTHER than the game and that is alwasy a good thing.

I want more of that nasty/dirty edge to his game. I don't want less. He's going to learn when to pick his spots, but I wouldn't have had him change anything of that contact he had with Fleury there.

If there's ANY goaltender to give something to think about, it's Fleury.

ecemleafs

Jan 4, 2009
New York
hockeydb has kreider at 230 pounds which wouldnt be surprising. his hits are very heavy. he also hadnt played games in over a month so he'd likely be at a heavier point in his weight fluctuation throughout the year.

The Beezer

Jan 24, 2010
Jersey
It was a bad call especially when you see Kreider lunge forward and almost lose his balance after being hit from behind by Letang when he was within 5-10 feet of MAF. At that speed, there is not much he can do but protect himself.

Of course at that speed, means the ref has to make a split second decision and he made the wrong one IMO. I don't think the call was made because they disrespect CK.

I don't understand in situations like this, why the officials don't confer with each other and get it right. It was impossible for the ref based on where he was positioned to see Letang push Krieder. There are 4 officials on the ice, ask the others what they saw and come to a conclusion. They need to get calls like this right.

AHB*

I disagree on both accounts. He plays best with his edge and I dont' think last night had anything to do with a "hot head." I've seen him with a hot head, last night he was just going hard.

The JOkinen play is laughable. Our players should be defending Hank. You can't play this game afraid of bad calls.

The elbow was a bang bang play and I don't think it was purposeful. He was probably trying to protect himself out of instinct.

He's had some borderline hits which he does when he's running around with a hot head, but last night I thought he played a great game. Both penalties were bad.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad