WJC: Referees

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dosing

Sep 10, 2010
Edenryd
Since it's quite clear that Nordic (aka Bilros) will never accept the fact that Canada can actually win without the refs, I'll just play along from now on.

Yeah, we get the help from the refs. We're lucky to have them on our side, and give us PPs. I'm very happy that the refs favour us, and screw Sweden all the time. :yo:

What are you going to do about it?

(BTW, when Canada won against Sweden in 2009 Gold Medal game, Sweden had more PPs than Canada, but Nordic still complained about officiating.... so there you go)

EDIT: AND THE COMPLAINING FROM SWEDISH PLAYERS WAS EMBARASSING. From the 1st penalty, the coach and players started complaining. I didn't see one time where the player went straight to the box. Yeah, I admit the officiating was lop-sided in Canada's favour, but arguing ain't gonna help you.

At this point you just admitting it is enough, your one of a few LOL

Trotzig

Oct 24, 2009
EDIT: AND THE COMPLAINING FROM SWEDISH PLAYERS WAS EMBARASSING. From the 1st penalty, the coach and players started complaining. I didn't see one time where the player went straight to the box. Yeah, I admit the officiating was lop-sided in Canada's favour, but arguing ain't gonna help you.

I watched the TSN feed and saw Rönnberg whining one time - when Nemeth was penalized for an imaginary high-stick. Whining does not equal asking the ref to clarify sketchy penalties. Regardless, he tends to have hard-read facial expressions.

Theres no doubt though that the players where yapping their traps.

Novak Djokovic

#24 and counting... #GOAT
Dec 10, 2006
At this point you just admitting it is enough, your one of a few LOL

The referees were pretty bad, and they should have just let them play.

I watched the TSN feed and saw Rönnberg whining one time - when Nemeth was penalized for an imaginary high-stick. Whining does not equal asking the ref to clarify sketchy penalties. Regardless, he tends to have hard-read facial expressions.

Theres no doubt though that the players where yapping their traps.

I don't blame the players as much as the coach. When you see your coach yapping at the officials after every call, you're bound to do that as well.

Trotzig

Oct 24, 2009
The referees were pretty bad, and they should have just let them play.

I don't blame the players as much as the coach. When you see your coach yapping at the officials after every call, you're bound to do that as well.

Why does your reply reads like I was in agreement with you when infact I wasn't - do you subconciously read what you want to read?

From my point of view, Rönnberg (the Swedish coach) whined once. To iterate, talking to the refs does not equal whining.
Cut Rönnberg some slack, the man looks angry even when he's smiling.

nitz

Jul 27, 2009
I'm going to check Nordic's profile at least once a day to see what he's been whining about lately.

The dude's act just doesn't get old!
I kind of want Sweden to beat Canada on new year's eve just so that he can climax all over the countryside.

Novak Djokovic

#24 and counting... #GOAT
Dec 10, 2006
Why does your reply reads like I was in agreement with you when infact I wasn't - do you subconciously read what you want to read?

From my point of view, Rönnberg (the Swedish coach) whined once. To iterate, talking to the refs does not equal whining.
Cut Rönnberg some slack, the man looks angry even when he's smiling.

Talkling to the ref once, twice.. is okay. Every time is whining, and that's what I saw. He thought legit trip wasn't a trip.

Trotzig

Oct 24, 2009
I'm going to check Nordic's profile at least once a day to see what he's been whining about lately.

The dude's act just doesn't get old!
I kind of want Sweden to beat Canada on new year's eve just so that he can climax all over the countryside.

Why? - we all know "Sweden beat Canada+refs" is inevitable if it ever happens.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Since it's quite clear that Nordic (aka Bilros) will never accept the fact that Canada can actually win without the refs, I'll just play along from now on.

Yeah, we get the help from the refs. We're lucky to have them on our side, and give us PPs. I'm very happy that the refs favour us, and screw Sweden all the time. :yo:

What are you going to do about it?

(BTW, when Canada won against Sweden in 2009 Gold Medal game, Sweden had more PPs than Canada, but Nordic still complained about officiating.... so there you go)

What was even more embarassing was the job that "Floppa" Markstrom did in the net ;)

Last I heard there's a penalty for unsportsmanlike conduct-diving. Sweden was never called for that. BIASED OFFICIALS, BIASED OFFICIALS!!!

TonyTinglebone

Oct 6, 2008
There was no hit to the head. It was a good, clean shoulder to shoulder hit.
It was an awful call where the Swede got penalized for being strong, and the Canadian kid rewarded for putting on bobble head doll performance. He should have gotten 2 minutes for diving, and that's it.
Was it the reason for Sweden's loss? Don't be ridiculous. Nobody says that. Does it bring up old memories and a feeling of "Here we go again..."? You bet.

The fact that you even wrote what you wrote tells me that you obviously learned all you think you know about hockey from Pierre and Don. *Yawn*

Although I agree that was a terrible call, the bolded part of your statement is just as terrible. It was a good clean hit on a player that was on a follow through from a shot and off balance, His upper body was leaned out almost horizontal and the hit spun him around and sent him to the ice. There was absolutely no dive on that play

NYI Win

Nov 17, 2010
I've been reading these boards for years and this debate occurs every single year and is started more often than not by the same people.

Dosing

Sep 10, 2010
Edenryd
I've been reading these boards for years and this debate occurs every single year and is started more often than not by the same people.

Ye i know it sucks to be a minority but what can you do?

Last edited by a moderator:

inoajd

Dec 11, 2010
There is no conspiracy in the NHL and there was no conspiracy to make Canada win yesterday, but the refs were still horribly biased for Canada and anyone that says anything else is a completely blind Canadian supporter. That's all there is to it.

The same refs won't be in the actual tournament so there shouldn't be any bias when the tournament actually starts and hasn't been before. The refs might miss a couple of calls like they do in literally every game of hockey ever played because otherwise a game turns out like the one yesterday.

Nordic*

Oct 12, 2006
Tellus
Hits from behind and hits to the head are both not considered clean under IHF rules. Keep whining though...

There was no hit to the head. And it's funny how Sweden got penalized for a hit from behind, when Canada got away with exactly the same thing several times.

So the amount of pp:s dictates how good and fairly the game has been reffed?

What if team A commits 20 infractions that should be called, but only get called 5 times. And team B have 4 infractions and they all get called.

Does that made the reffing good/fair?

You make no sense.

And btw, we got the pp:s when the game was already lost, before that we were owned by the refs - letting Canadians run our goalie 4 times, but only once did they get penalized for it.

CarlWinslow

@hiphopsicles
Jan 25, 2010
Winnipeg
There was no hit to the head. It was a good, clean shoulder to shoulder hit.
It was an awful call where the Swede got penalized for being strong, and the Canadian kid rewarded for putting on bobble head doll performance. He should have gotten 2 minutes for diving, and that's it.

Was it the reason for Sweden's loss? Don't be ridiculous. Nobody says that. Does it bring up old memories and a feeling of "Here we go again..."? You bet.

The fact that you even wrote what you wrote tells me that you obviously learned all you think you know about hockey from Pierre and Don. *Yawn*

He made contact with the head. That is all that matters in international hockey. Your post brings up the feeling of "here we go again."

Frank Bascombe

Apr 28, 2010
The board would explode with hurt Canadiens if the roles were reversed. That's just too obvious to even mention -- but let's do it anyway. The Swedish team just makes it worse though.
The Finns ... No, it's impossible to care.

Nakawick

Minty Fresh
Apr 5, 2010
The Range
A bunch of your fans on this forum has already admitted it, take a deep breath

I am afraid they didn't. They did say a couple of calls last night were missed or called incorrectly, both for Sweden and Canada. No one from Canada has said that there is a conspiracy between referees across the world to help Canada beat Sweden.

But hey, you are providing good entertainment. :handclap:

Exalted User
Dec 14, 2010
Babylon
Wow, this debate is never going to lead any where. Just agree to dissagree. The tournament hasn't even started yet.

Nordic*

Oct 12, 2006
Tellus
That should be a penalty to Ellis.

shoulder to shoulder. no elbows out or anything.

That hit looked a lot worse than it really was....IMO that shouldn't even be a penalty

His head whips back but it looked like contact started on his shoulder

That was an awful awful dive...

Where are the refs from?

Keep feeding us PPs. :yo:

This reffing is absolutely embarrassing, and this coming from a canadian fan..

Hahahaha.

That absolutely should have been a slashing call.

Should've been a call

Horrendous reffing.

And I'm finding it difficult to find much about this Team Canada that I like.

Are these IIHF refs or local refs?

Apparently there will be no more slashing penalties called :sarcasm:

As a Canadian fan, I want to win, but not with the refs help. We're the Pittsburgh Penguins of the NHL in this tournament.

Hmm,seeing a replay,that does seem like a shoulder on shoulder hit.

I'm from Canada but I find myself cheering for the Sweden team.

The slow-mo shows it was shoulder-to-shoulder.

Wow.

There were a few really sketchy calls and more sketchy non-calls.

Where is the ref from?

Looked like a hit to the head should have been called on schenn there.

Comments:

1) It is very troubling that we only have 15 shots. Our team also appears to be slow.
2) Ugh. Why are the refs giving the Swedes a reason to whine about the refs before the tournament starts? Some of these calls/non-calls are terrible.

:banghead: Refs, just let them play!

man the reffing in this game is unreal

Let them ****ing play!

Have to admit I never saw a high stick there.

?? I didn't see a high stick

I don't think anyone saw it.

The refs are beyond brutal, i hope we dont see that in the wjc.

was the reffing in the game against the swiss like this too?

If I was a Swede, I'd be pissed at the refering

I would be happier with that game if I was Swedish than I am as a Canadian. Sweden was the better team at even strength, the refs gave Canada lots of breaks and the Canadian powerplay was abysmal. I can't understand why they barely changed anything despite the numerous powerplay opportunities. The only positive was that Roy played well. The coaches will need to make changes before the real games start.

Just a select few quotes from the GDT last night, and 90% of these are from Canadians - didn't even include the Swedish posts. So I can safely say that the bout last night was a complete joke, where the refs had a clear bias. I just pray this **** won't happen during the actual tourny....we'll see.

Daryl

Jul 22, 2010
Some calls last night when Canada faced Sweden were on the line but some were well earned. Only time will tell as how the refs really are when the actually tournament begins.

Daryl

Jul 22, 2010
Just a select few quotes from the GDT last night, and 90% of these are from Canadians - didn't even include the Swedish posts. So I can safely say that the bout last night was a complete joke, where the refs had a clear bias. I just pray this **** won't happen during the actual tourny....we'll see.

I noticed you quoted one of my posts regarding the controversy of the initial hit being a headshot or shoulder to shoulder. The first time I saw the hit,it seeme like a head hit,and from the point of view the ref was standing I also believe it seemed like that because the head snapped back. But when TSN showed a slow motion replay,you could see it was shoulder to shoulder but only in slow motion you could see that.

Just my two cents on that hit.

Nakawick

Minty Fresh
Apr 5, 2010
The Range

you quoted me, I was being sarcastic, you know :sarcasm:

Maybe you Swedish guys can launch a protest to the IIHF about this bad officiating in an exibition game. I mean if this has been happening for decades, someone should approach the IIHF. Maybe Rene Fasel is secretly in love with Canada, or maybe he just hates Sweden. :dunno:

Nordic*

Oct 12, 2006
Tellus
I noticed you quoted one of my posts regarding the controversy of the initial hit being a headshot or shoulder to shoulder. The first time I saw the hit,it seeme like a head hit,and from the point of view the ref was standing I also believe it seemed like that because the head snapped back. But when TSN showed a slow motion replay,you could see it was shoulder to shoulder but only in slow motion you could see that.

Just my two cents on that hit.

Yes, I know.:) A lot of people said they realized it wasn't an illegal hit from the replay, not during actual gameplay. But the refs were right there, they should have seen it - and who knows, perhaps they even did.

Dosing

Sep 10, 2010
Edenryd
you quoted me, I was being sarcastic, you know :sarcasm:

Maybe you Swedish guys can launch a protest to the IIHF about this bad officiating in an exibition game. I mean if this has been happening for decades, someone should approach the IIHF. Maybe Rene Fasel is secretly in love with Canada, or maybe he just hates Sweden. :dunno:

bad officiating is reality, you guys trying to dissmiss it is just sad, especially since you consider yourself the "hockey country"

boozeash

Apr 19, 2007
Ottawa
This was a pre tourny game. Canada has recieved the short end of the stick from the reffs many times when games actually matter.
2009 gold medal game comes to mind.....still....fans of the losing country complained........just be happy it's a pre tourny game.

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
How refereeing threads during international competitions invariably go on here:

-Team A loses to Team B
-Team A's delusional fans whine about biased refereeing
-Team B's fans act smug, mock Team A's fans for whining about the refereeing
-Team B loses a later game
-Team B's formerly high-and-mighty fans whine about biased refereeing

Status
Not open for further replies.