WJC: Referees

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brun0

Jul 24, 2009
First of all I would say that this is no whining nor an excuse thread.

I just wanted to make this thread where we would generally look a bit closer at refereeing in the tournament and how much physical game is allowed and how much does it vary for game to game.

I have felt that the refereeing has not always been on the level it should and often the bigger nation gets an advantage.

I think it's fair to have a good discussion during the tournament.

Forexmple 2009 Final was a bit questionable.

I don't want to point anyone with my finger but I just want that in the qualifying rounds (european teams vs. na teams) both teams have a fair chance at winning.

I can't say it has always been that in the last couple of tournaments.

Dosing

Sep 10, 2010
Edenryd
your insulting canadas victorys and u expect what? a clooser look? it's all whining and propaganda as far as their concerned dont bother.

Brun0

Jul 24, 2009
your insulting canadas victorys and u expect what? a clooser look? it's all whining and propaganda as far as their concerned dont bother.

So your being hurt?

I think it's a fair thing to discuss. It won't hurt anyone.

Besides it was just an exmple out of many, but it came first to my mind. And i did not mention any country names.

I guess what you are saying is that it is unfair to have equal refrees, did I understand right?

If you know what propaganda is I think it's quit the opposite. Then you are not allowed to discuss the flaws. Thats really why i did this thread.

swissexpert

Sep 21, 2009
We shouldn't start a referee discussion if there's nothing to discuss so far.
Only no discussion is good news for the refs, so why bring it up even before the tournament started? You can have a closer look at them and come up with it if you think they did a bad job, but thats all IMO.

ES

Feb 14, 2004
Finland
Referees in the tournament
Stephan Bauer (Germany)
Antti Boman (Finland)
Pehr Claesson (Sweden)
Martin Frano (Czech Republic)
Georg Jablukov (Germany)
Rafael Kadyrov (Russia)
Keith Kaval (USA)
Matt Kirk (Canada)
Daniel Konc (Slovakia)
Jari Levonen (Finland)
Patrik Sjöberg (Sweden)
Pat Smith (Canada)

Linesmen
Jaroslav Blaha (Czech Republic)
David Brown (USA)
Christian Kaspar (Austria)
Mikko Kekäläinen (Finland)
Andriy Kicha (Ukraine)
Johnathan Morrison (USA)
Jozef Tvrdon (Slovakia)
Jesse Wilmot (Canada)
Daniel Winge (Sweden)
Felix Winnekens (Germany)

NGARV

Feb 1, 2010
Edmonton
Stephan Bauer (Germany)
Antti Boman (Finland)
Pehr Claesson (Sweden)
Georg Jablukov (Germany)
Rafael Kadyrov (Russia)
Keith Kaval (USA)
Matt Kirk (Canada)
Daniel Konc (Slovakia)
Jari Levonen (Finland)
Patrik Sjöberg (Sweden)
Pat Smith (Canada)

Linesmen
David Brown (USA)
Andriy Kicha (Ukraine)
Johnathan Morrison (USA)
Jozef Tvrdon (Slovakia)
Jesse Wilmot (Canada)
Daniel Winge (Sweden)

Uh-Oh with out Canada's ref advantage how will we win? :sarcasm: (btw how is that face sarcastic)

boozeash

Apr 19, 2007
Ottawa
First of all I would say that this is no whining nor an excuse thread.

I just wanted to make this thread where we would generally look a bit closer at refereeing in the tournament and how much physical game is allowed and how much does it vary for game to game.

I have felt that the refereeing has not always been on the level it should and often the bigger nation gets an advantage.

I think it's fair to have a good discussion during the tournament.

Forexmple 2009 Final was a bit questionable.

I don't want to point anyone with my finger but I just want that in the qualifying rounds (european teams vs. na teams) both teams have a fair chance at winning.

I can't say it has always been that in the last couple of tournaments.

Let me guess.....you're Swedish? Every year Swedish posters complain about refereeing. Even before they lose they assume they are being cheated or are getting unfair treatment. I was actually considering making a Thread that would encourge people to be mature good sports whether or not their countries win or lose. However, it wouldn't make a difference. No matter how fair or unfair the reffing is, we will always have certain posters whine and complain to try to take away from dominant countries achievements. Just watch and enjoy, complaining never makes a difference.....EVER. No amount of crying, moaning, or pouting, will take away any Golds.

Nordic*

Oct 12, 2006
Tellus
Stephan Bauer (Germany)
Antti Boman (Finland)
Pehr Claesson (Sweden)
Georg Jablukov (Germany)
Rafael Kadyrov (Russia)
Keith Kaval (USA)
Matt Kirk (Canada)
Daniel Konc (Slovakia)
Jari Levonen (Finland)
Patrik Sjöberg (Sweden)
Pat Smith (Canada)

Linesmen
David Brown (USA)
Andriy Kicha (Ukraine)
Johnathan Morrison (USA)
Jozef Tvrdon (Slovakia)
Jesse Wilmot (Canada)
Daniel Winge (Sweden)
Felix Winnekens
(Germany)

I predict that the one's in red will suck.:sarcasm:

But seriously, Canada will always be given advantages - that's just part of international hockey.

Kind of how Gretzky was given advantages and played by his own set of rules back in the day. But the thing is, Gretzky was the best player back then, and Canada is the best team today - so they don't need any help.

New User Name

Jan 2, 2008
I predict that the one's in red will suck.:sarcasm:

But seriously, Canada will always be given advantages - that's just part of international hockey.

Kind of how Gretzky was given advantages and played by his own set of rules back in the day. But the thing is, Gretzky was the best player back then, and Canada is the best team today - so they don't need any help.

But seriously the biggest whiners are always Swedes.

I recall Swedish fans whining when the USA kicked your ass last year.

Dosing

Sep 10, 2010
Edenryd
told you, ur pushing them into a corner, theres no way they can accept not earning all of the win;) =anger

Brew

The top of HF’s most disliked
Sep 22, 2007
Stephan Bauer (Germany)
Antti Boman (Finland)
Pehr Claesson (Sweden)
Georg Jablukov (Germany)
Rafael Kadyrov (Russia)
Keith Kaval (USA)
Matt Kirk (Canada)
Daniel Konc (Slovakia)
Jari Levonen (Finland)
Patrik Sjöberg (Sweden)
Pat Smith (Canada)

Linesmen
David Brown (USA)
Andriy Kicha (Ukraine)
Johnathan Morrison (USA)
Jozef Tvrdon (Slovakia)
Jesse Wilmot (Canada)
Daniel Winge (Sweden)

Canada: 2 refs, 1 lines
US: 1 ref, 2 lines
Russia: 1 ref
Slovakia: 1 ref, 1 lines
Germany: 2 refs, 1 lines
Finland: 2 refs, 1 lines
Sweden: 2 refs, 1 lines
Austria: 1 lines
Ukraine: 1 lines
Czech Republic: 1 ref, 1 lines

No big differences in homerism, each country gets a rep or 2. I'd laugh if anybody uses this as their excuse for winning/losing

El Diego

Jan 2, 2009
Euros complaining at refereeing in this tournament would be hilarious if it wasn't so sad. The referees are tailored made for players playing in Europe, hell they call every big hit a charge which is ridiculous. I remember a couple years ago a 6 foot+ Sloavakian wasn't looking and skated right into a short American. His face hit the American's shoulder because of the height disparity and he got a bloody face and a concussion it looked like. The American got thrown out of the game and Slovakia got a powerplay because this lumbering oaf couldn't skate or take a hit.

gojacketsgo61

Fire the Refs!
Apr 27, 2009
I find the reffing fine in the WJC. They are not biased towards Canada. You bring up the 09 final? the one that Canada won 5-1? Pretty hard for the refs to **** up that bad.

boozeash

Apr 19, 2007
Ottawa
But seriously the biggest whiners are always Swedes.

I recall Swedish fans whining when the USA kicked your ass last year.

Yeah, and in 2009 in Ottawa, I was at the final, and i remember constant complaining from Swedish fans all tournament long.....then at the final, i remember thinking that Canada had some questionable calls against, and it looked like there were some dives by Swedish players. But still there was a non stop Swedish whine fest when i got home to the Computer. I was like WTF they can't be serious? Oh well there will always be some sore losers

Dosing

Sep 10, 2010
Edenryd
Explain how or why referees from other countries would favour Canada?
yes how would a finnish ref favour canada? gives u something to think about.
also its funny when u think about all the "nhl-biased-refs" threads made, they can be biased but somehow international refs cant?:handclap: again when ur team is winning u dont notice, go on shoot im ready ;) oh and a real argument please, "whine" lines only proves u got nothing to say

Nordic*

Oct 12, 2006
Tellus
Sweden once again royally screwed by (Canadian) refs against Canada.

Only an exhibition game, but none the less, it keeps happening.:shakehead

Nash

Jul 23, 2004
Vancouver
Why does the better team usually end up with more powerplays? It's pretty simple. The lessor team resorts to hooking, holding, etcetera to try to overcome their shortcomings.

As for international tournaments, Canada is in no way favored. Many Canadians complain about European bias in these tournaments. I chalk it up to different rules standards between North American leagues and international rules.

Officiating will always be flawed as it is a judgement call by people. People make mistakes. Whining about it ad nauseum is pointless.

dude67

Nov 15, 2010
Royally screwed by (Canadian) refs its like Christmas a tradition come every year and Canadiens think ref was great same same every year

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad