Speculation: Red Wings willing to trade No. 6 pick in NHL Draft: report

LamorielloAndSon

May 28, 2018
I'd be even unhappier if, to get rid of it, we traded a top 10 pick for two mid 2nds and a 27 year old 20/20 guy.

Put it this way, would you trade 11, 12, and Ladd for 33, 36, and AA?
11 + 12 > 6
Nelson is a 20-20 guy on a team he is visibly unhappy being on
Nielsen is hasn't worked out for the red wings and is arguably a worse player than Nelson now, Nielsen has a way bigger cap hit and a no trade clause(I think he'd wave it to go to the isles)

Also those 2 seconds should get back a mid to late 20 pick

I think if Nelson gets traded the team getting him will see a lot more of world championship Nelson than isles Nelson

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
11 + 12 > 6
Nielsen is hasn't worked out for the red wings and is arguably a worse player than Nelson now, Nielsen has a way bigger cap hit and a no trade clause(I think he'd wave it to go to the isles)

33 + 36 > 41 + 43

The value of those packages is actually pretty similar. Both are brutal for the team giving away the 1st round picks.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
Ok what would it take for the isles to get the 6th if the starting piece is 12

Something you'd never be willing to pay. (And understandably) Ty Smith may not even be there and he's at best the 6th best defender this year.

Detroit/NYI trade talks haven't been going good here for awhile now. Mainly because both teams seem to have the same needs and surpluses.

LamorielloAndSon

May 28, 2018
Something you'd never be willing to pay. (And understandably) Ty Smith may not even be there and he's at best the 6th best defender this year.

Detroit/NYI trade talks haven't been going good here for awhile now. Mainly because both teams seem to have the same needs and surpluses.
Do the red wings and isles have the same prospect needs because if they do why wouldn't the red wings be stoked about Dobson at 6?
Ot but when am I going to be able to make a thread here? All I want to do is ask how far the isles can move up with the flames first and the isles 2nd

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
Do the red wings and isles have the same prospect needs because if they do why wouldn't the red wings be stoked about Dobson at 6?
Ot but when am I going to be able to make a thread here? All I want to do is ask how far the isles can move up with the flames first and the isles 2nd

Think you gotta have 30 or 45 days or something like that.

I really don't know what to think of who's the best pick between Hughes/Dobson/Bouchard, but all signs seem to point to Detroit wanting Bouchard. I doubt Holland moves #6 unless he sees multiple of the top five defenders (Which is really only 4 because Dahlin's fate is sealed) still available. And even then it'll be down 2-3 spots.

LamorielloAndSon

May 28, 2018
I just hope one of those guys slips like how fowler did but I don't see that happening which is why I want the isles to get into the top 9

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
I just hope one of those guys slips like how fowler did but I don't see that happening which is why I want the isles to get into the top 9

Top 3 are assumed. So 4-10 should be some order of Boqvist, Tkachuk, Dobson, Bouchard, Wahlstrom, Hughes, and Kotkaniemi.

Means you still may be able to get Ty Smith at 11. Unless Kotkaniemi doesn't rise as much as he seems to be.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
11 + 12 > 6

I think if Nelson gets traded the team getting him will see a lot more of world championship Nelson than isles Nelson

The Wings also specifically said they wouldn't drop out of the top 10, so this proposal is DOA.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
Do they take the 12th from the isles and the flames second?

Ok bigger deal

To isles
6th overall
Frans Nielsen

To wings
Both seconds
Nelson

Who adds?

Nobody because Detroit is too busy slamming the receiver down and blocking the Islanders number forever.

You don't get a top 10 pick for someone just slightly better statistically than AA and a pair of seconds... and you taking Frans Nielsen isn't this boon that you think it is. Now, the Wings would have to replace.

The Isles want 6? Price is 11 and 12 or something equivalent in prospects at minimum. Because the worthwhile elite prospects with fewer warts dry up pretty quickly at about pick 10 and you're taking on a bunch of risk moving as far back as 11.

Reactions: ManwithNoIdentity

slg1963

Jan 23, 2015
Canada
6th overall
Athanasiou

For

9th overall
Chytil
NYR 2019 3rd

We are not trading Chytil .
To get both of those firsts there would have to be a player the Rags really, really want there at 6. Someone who obviously will not be around for them at 9.
It's a lot to ask, but if I'm Ken Holland I don't move the 6th unless you're getting those two firsts or the equivalent in return.

I believe my Rangers will target Whalstrom .

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
It isn't crazy. Stepan + Raanta got Deangelo + the 7th overall pick last year. Top 5 picks never get moved, but top 10 picks have been moved I think 4 times in the last 7 years. (Couturier, Staal, Schneider, Stepan) And the flames traded (a year in advance though) a first and 2 2nds for hamonic.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I'd be okay with Brodin + 1st from the Wild, but I assume that's further back than Detroit would want to move.
Detroit should be all over that. I would hate it for the Wild. We could pick someone, spend years developing them, and find out he's a lesser player than Brodin. Not prepared to pay a first for that privilege.

After the top 3 there are a whole lot of question marks. Some of them will end up being top players, but it is anything but clear who that might be. Gambling Brodin and a first for that is insanity, IMO, especially when Suter's healthy return is in question.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Detroit should be all over that. I would hate it for the Wild. We could pick someone, spend years developing them, and find out he's a lesser player than Brodin. Not prepared to pay a first for that privilege.

After the top 3 there are a whole lot of question marks. Some of them will end up being top players, but it is anything but clear who that might be. Gambling Brodin and a first for that is insanity, IMO, especially when Suter's healthy return is in question.
Detroit arguably needs future players more than current players. Yes, Brodin is young and has a whole lot of road ahead of him, but if they think one of the defensemen available at #6-#10 has higher upside I can see them passing. There's risk involved, but Detroit is at a stage where they should be taking these kinds of calculated risks.

The Wild probably aren't and I can't actually see Fenton trading one of our defensemen for a draft pick. Personally I'm not against taking this sort of a risk, though. In my mind our biggest risk right now is inertia.

Reactions: Nut Upstrom

Wingsfan 4 life

Oct 9, 2016
It isn't crazy. Stepan + Raanta got Deangelo + the 7th overall pick last year. Top 5 picks never get moved, but top 10 picks have been moved I think 4 times in the last 7 years. (Couturier, Staal, Schneider, Stepan) And the flames traded (a year in advance though) a first and 2 2nds for hamonic.

Those 4 picks all got traded outright. IMO, chances of Detroit trading 6 outright are very slim. If they trade it, its to move down no more than a couple spots.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad