Speculation: Red Wings willing to trade No. 6 pick in NHL Draft: report

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
Wasn't there already a thread on this?

Highly doubt Detroit trades that pick unless they're getting a king's ransom.

Reactions: iSophagus

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
unless they trade down, there really isn't anything teams would give up and detroit would want for that pick. i highly doubt teams would give up a young good player for that 6th pick

Reactions: heybuddyhowyadoing

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
What would they be targeting? Seems like a mistake to dangle that pick.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
From the article:

"I've started to talk to some teams about a lot," Holland said. "As you work your way toward Dallas at the draft, draft movement possibilities, I think at this stage in the game, everybody is kicking tires as to what might be out there."

"If somebody on your list starts to slide, then you start to work the phone," Holland said. "We like a lot of players in that range, in that 30-35 range. We think there's some pretty good players. Do you package two of those picks and try to move up? Possibly, if somebody high on our lists starts to slide and starts to fall."

Aka usual draft prep.

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
unless they trade down, there really isn't anything teams would give up and detroit would want for that pick. i highly doubt teams would give up a young good player for that 6th pick
They might take bad contracts. Detroit is kinda screwed

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
What would they be targeting? Seems like a mistake to dangle that pick.
It is my understanding that The Red Wings have been consistently linked with Bouchard. If the Red Wings move down to 9 (Rangers pick) this can still take Bouchard, who will be there at 9, and get an extra asset from the Rangers for trading down.

I think 9 and 48 for 6 is pretty fair for the both teams, and would give Detroit more ammo if they want to move up with the Vegas pick. There is pretty much no reason for Detroit (or the Rangers) not to do this.

As a Rangers fan I would even consider 9 and 39 for 6 and 67 based on the board. But of course that depends on Bouchard being Detroit's guy.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
Holland has been pretty adamant about picking players based on attitude. (See Rasmussen and why he constantly dragged Mrazek through the mud)

... So it'd be interesting to see if Ryan Merkley is still around for those three early 30s picks he'll have. It'd go against his attitude first values, but it's a high risk high reward pick.

Notsince67

Apr 27, 2018
why would they take bad contracts in exchange for the 6th?
They would give bad contracts in exchange. The leafs took plenty bad contracts in exchange for picks. Find a team like Colorado with a cap floor problem and give them the bad contracts and the pick. They can then move anybody into waivers. If they clear...minor city

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
They would give bad contracts in exchange. The leafs took plenty bad contracts in exchange for picks. Find a team like Colorado with a cap floor problem and give them the bad contracts and the pick. They can then move anybody into waivers. If they clear...minor city
that would be a terrible idea. detroit isn't competing so cap shouldn't be that important to them and the 6th pick holds a lot of value. my sacrificing it along with a bad contract, the red wings would have cap space quite possibly sign an expensive free agent and quite possibly have yet another bad contract on their hands. that would be taking 0 steps forward and 1 step back. even if they don't do that, there's no need for a rebuilding team to give up a pick that will be instrumental in them turning the franchise around.

the leafs took plenty of bad contracts in the phaneuf deal because they gave up a much larger and worse contract. they only got a 2nd round pick and a meh prospect back.

Notsince67

Apr 27, 2018
that would be a terrible idea. detroit isn't competing so cap shouldn't be that important to them and the 6th pick holds a lot of value. my sacrificing it along with a bad contract, the red wings would have cap space quite possibly sign an expensive free agent and quite possibly have yet another bad contract on their hands. that would be taking 0 steps forward and 1 step back. even if they don't do that, there's no need for a rebuilding team to give up a pick that will be instrumental in them turning the franchise around.
You don't see the jist. They could get some other pieces like prospects as well. They need to rebuild and they have way too many bad contracts on the books. You can trade for more than just picks....you can empty out the trash as well

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
You don't see the jist. They could get some other pieces like prospects as well. They need to rebuild and they have way too many bad contracts on the books. You can trade for more than just picks....you can empty out the trash as well
if they trade the 6th and a bad contract, then they will get very little in return. no team is going to give up an asset for taking on a bad contract and a sweetener just so the trade can be deemed as "fair"

Tatar Shots

Feb 2, 2014
It is my understanding that The Red Wings have been consistently linked with Bouchard. If the Red Wings move down to 9 (Rangers pick) this can still take Bouchard, who will be there at 9, and get an extra asset from the Rangers for trading down.

I think 9 and 48 for 6 is pretty fair for the both teams, and would give Detroit more ammo if they want to move up with the Vegas pick. There is pretty much no reason for Detroit (or the Rangers) not to do this.

As a Rangers fan I would even consider 9 and 39 for 6 and 67 based on the board. But of course that depends on Bouchard being Detroit's guy.

If Bouchard is Detroit’s guy and he is still available at 6, they will draft him. Odds of getting him at 9 are not good

Notsince67

Apr 27, 2018
if they trade the 6th and a bad contract, then they will get very little in return. no team is going to give up an asset for taking on a bad contract and a sweetener just so the trade can be deemed as "fair"
If they trade the 6th + bad contract for say the 2oth + decent prospect + second it can be done. This stuff is done all the time.

Voodoo Glow Skulls

Formerly Vatican Roulette
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017

Ken Holland does not trade his bad contracts. He's to loyal, to a fault.

He won't ask "his guys" to waive their NTC, and yes, the team is loaded with them.

Tatar Shots

Feb 2, 2014
If they trade the 6th + bad contract for say the 2oth + decent prospect + second it can be done. This stuff is done all the time.

That would be atrocious for the Wings. If this is ‘done all the time,’ please provide an example of a team moving out of the top 10 into the 20s to shed a contract. Detroit doesn’t even need any cap space

Reactions: Yuck

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
If Bouchard is Detroit’s guy and he is still available at 6, they will draft him. Odds of getting him at 9 are not good
On the contrary, I think it's very like Bouchard is there at 9. Hes been surpassed by guys like Dobson at his same position, and I dont think he was ever ahead of Boqvist or Hughes. Those are just the defenders.

Notsince67

Apr 27, 2018
That would be atrocious for the Wings. If this is ‘done all the time,’ please provide an example of a team moving out of the top 10 into the 20s to shed a contract. Detroit doesn’t even need any cap space
What? Do you have any idea what the RFAs are going to cost? They have one of the worse cap issues

Reactions: SEALBound

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad