Speculation: Red Wings willing to trade No. 6 pick in NHL Draft: report

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
9th + 26th would be pretty good, but if the Rangers are actually gonna shell out that much, Detroit would probably be better off picking that player (presumably because it was someone fell that should not have).
Yeah, that's why I said it pretty much depends on what Detroit's board is and how the first five picks actually turn out. If Holland's BPA gets selected in the Top 5, and they think the next guy on their list will be available at 9, I could see it happening.

I don't think Detroit will move the pick, if at all, until they're on the clock. Just can't see them moving it beforehand.

6th overall
Athanasiou

For

9th overall
Chytil
NYR 2019 3rd
I'm out. I don't think there is any point for NYR in trading Chytil for AA.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
9OA (NYR 1st) + one of 26OA (BOS 1st) or 28OA (TBL 1st) -or- 9OA + 39OA (NYR 2nd)

Add in something from a 5th to 7th round pick, and that will be roughly on target for trade value, historically speaking.

But, it's really going to depend on A) What Detroit's draft board looks like and B) how picks 1 to 5 actually pan out.

I wonder if Detroit would be interested in getting out of the Ericsson contract and be willing to do that plus the 6OA for something. Teams would want the 6OA, but I don't think DET would be that desperate to move Ericsson if that's the price.

They won't. Ericsson has this year and next at 4.25M. If they were lucky enough to have won the lottery and gotten Dahlin... he wouldn't have a chance at the big time bucks that you'd need 4.25M gone to accomodate by the time his contract would just run out.

At this point, there is pretty much no deal for moving a bad contract that makes any sense for Detroit unless it's a bargain basement price. They don't actually "need" to force it to have cap flexibility. If they don't go insane and cap out again this year (which if they don't land John Tavares I don't even think they reasonably can)... They could easily have $20M in cap space next year with all the RFAs from this year signed.

MagicalRazor

Oct 25, 2016
Are the wings in a full rebuild yet? because its looking like its needed to me I don't think they trade this pick at all unless they getting a U20 Blue chipper that has more value

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
Yeah, that's why I said it pretty much depends on what Detroit's board is and how the first five picks actually turn out. If Holland's BPA gets selected in the Top 5, and they think the next guy on their list will be available at 9, I could see it happening.

I don't think Detroit will move the pick, if at all, until they're on the clock. Just can't see them moving it beforehand.

Ya, only way I see it happening beforehand is if the Hanifin for 6th thing happened, and then they'd have to feel that none of Dobson/Bouchard/Hughes have the potential Hanifin does.

The problem with that trade seems to be some Carolina fans want Detroit to add and Detroit fans don't want to. Both are justified and understandable.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
I just can't believe this could be true. Of all the teams in the 4-10 range, DET needs the pick more than anyone.
Right, but with the stipulation that they want to remain in the Top 10, it makes sense to move down from 6 to, for example, 9 plus another pick if it ends up being that the BPA on Holland's board goes in the Top 5 and they are sure the next guy on their board will be available at the later pick.

In that scenario, which has a decent chance of happening because all 31 teams will have different draft boards after 1OA, it makes sense to move down to select "your guy" that you know will be available plus get an extra pick for it, rather than reaching a bit for said player.

So they'll still have that Top 10 pick. They'll still get a similar quality player at 7-10 that they would at 6, IMO.

It just highly depends on Detroit's draft board and how the Top 5 shakes out. And none of us will know this stuff until the day of the draft.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
Are the wings in a full rebuild yet? because its looking like its needed to me I don't think they trade this pick at all unless they getting a U20 Blue chipper that has more value

Holland claims they are, but he is also believed by some to just say what sounds good.

ManwithNoIdentity

Jun 4, 2016
Kalamazoo, MI
I just can't believe this could be true. Of all the teams in the 4-10 range, DET needs the pick more than anyone.

Yeah it would be yet another dumbass decision by Holland, probably one of the biggest in awhile.

Detroit needs to stay put, including keeping the Vegas 1st and see if we can get lucky like we have in the past.

I don't know why people think we need to get rid of B52 that badly? He's got two years left and besides our RFAs who we'll be able to resign with no problems our current lineup is set barring any UFA signings.

Last edited:

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Jul 6, 2012
Holland claims they are, but he is also believed by some to just say what sounds good.

And those people are the lunatic fringe who want to hate.

Yeah it would be yet another dumbass decision by Holland, probably one of the biggest in awhile.

What he's doing is seeing if someone has interest in moving up a couple picks because they must not see a huge separation between Hughes, Bouchard, Dobson, and Boqvist. And if it's get defenseman you want + picks that's better than just defenseman.

Exactly like Mantha at 20 instead of 18. If you can get the guy you would have drafted anyway AND extra pick/s, it's a worthwhile question to ask. And if you'd be satisfied with any of those four D expected to be on the board or Jesperi Kotkaniemi, you can pretty reasonably drop back some picks.

I mean, the top 3 are pretty much locked.

Dahlin
Svech
Zadina.

or you can swap Zadina and Tkachuk.

So, that's 4 picks in the can with one more until Detroit goes and literally 5 guys they'd probably be equally happy to land. It would be lunacy to NOT see if there is one of the Vancouver, Islanders, Rangers that will give you something when you can still get Noah Dobson or Kotkaniemi who are talented enough you could take them at 6 and nobody would blink. See if anyone has a huge boner for Tkachuk or Wahlstrom or Boqvist.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
What? Do you have any idea what the RFAs are going to cost? They have one of the worse cap issues
Dude you're crazy if you believe that Detroit has cap issues, Honestly Larkin will get a hefty deal that's all, Reportedly Mantha will get a 2 year bridge deal worth less then $4 million per. AA wont get that much and there's only Bertuzzi and Frk they wont get that much. Plus still have plenty to resign Green as it sounds like he wants to stay and Detroit wants to keep him.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Dude you're crazy if you believe that Detroit has cap issues, Honestly Larkin will get a hefty deal that's all, Reportedly Mantha will get a 2 year bridge deal worth less then $4 million per. AA wont get that much and there's only Bertuzzi and Frk they wont get that much. Plus still have plenty to resign Green as it sounds like he wants to stay and Detroit wants to keep him.

Detroit's cap issues really cover a time period where we expect them to be bad. I don't care about Ercisson's contract as much as other teams fans might. We don't expect to be good for a couple years. With the exception of Abdelkader I am not worried about ones that impact a good Wings team.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
They won't. Ericsson has this year and next at 4.25M. If they were lucky enough to have won the lottery and gotten Dahlin... he wouldn't have a chance at the big time bucks that you'd need 4.25M gone to accomodate by the time his contract would just run out.

At this point, there is pretty much no deal for moving a bad contract that makes any sense for Detroit unless it's a bargain basement price. They don't actually "need" to force it to have cap flexibility. If they don't go insane and cap out again this year (which if they don't land John Tavares I don't even think they reasonably can)... They could easily have $20M in cap space next year with all the RFAs from this year signed.
Yeah, I was perusing through CapFriendly and it doesn't seem too bad.

Was just spitballin' :P

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.

What he's doing is seeing if someone has interest in moving up a couple picks because they must not see a huge separation between Hughes, Bouchard, Dobson, and Boqvist. And if it's get defenseman you want + picks that's better than just defenseman.

Exactly like Mantha at 20 instead of 18. If you can get the guy you would have drafted anyway AND extra pick/s, it's a worthwhile question to ask. And if you'd be satisfied with any of those four D expected to be on the board or Jesperi Kotkaniemi, you can pretty reasonably drop back some picks.

I mean, the top 3 are pretty much locked.

Dahlin
Svech
Zadina.

or you can swap Zadina and Tkachuk.

So, that's 4 picks in the can with one more until Detroit goes and literally 5 guys they'd probably be equally happy to land. It would be lunacy to NOT see if there is one of the Vancouver, Islanders, Rangers that will give you something when you can still get Noah Dobson or Kotkaniemi who are talented enough you could take them at 6 and nobody would blink. See if anyone has a huge ***** for Tkachuk or Wahlstrom or Boqvist.

I dont agree that those next 5 are equal.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017

giphy.gif

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
Didn’t a Wings insider or something say they’re pretty sure it’ll be one of Bouchard, Dobson, or Kotkaniemi? Bouchard and Kotkaniemi could be there at the Rangers pick, Rangers have said they want to move up and have a ton of ammo to do so. (2 other firsts and 2 seconds) what do the Wings want from us in exchange

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
Didn’t a Wings insider or something say they’re pretty sure it’ll be one of Bouchard, Dobson, or Kotkaniemi? Bouchard and Kotkaniemi could be there at the Rangers pick, Rangers have said they want to move up and have a ton of ammo to do so. (2 other firsts and 2 seconds) what do the Wings want from us in exchange
I would go with 9 and 28

Reactions: slg1963

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Jul 6, 2012
I dont agree that those next 5 are equal.

Of course they aren’t. But they’re substantially similar. Each of those four D have a skill that makes them better than the others and a flaw that makes them worse, however you want to debate it. And also, Kotkaniemi and Wahlstrom bring skills that make them worthy of any pick from 6-10.

The Wings clearly aren’t locked in on any one guy. They have the one they like (Bouchard) but pretty clearly they’d be happy drafting any of them.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Jul 6, 2012
Why would a team that is obviously in rebuild mode trade away a top 6 pick?

The only way they trade it is if a guy they’d be okay with taking at 6 is clearly going to be there a pick or two later.

For instance... let’s say they like Kotkaniemi

And the following happens in the top 5

Dahlin
Svech
Zadina
Tkachuk
Boqvist

Now, you’d have a team either wanting Wahlstrom or one of the D to trade, like the Rangers at 9

So the Rangers go Bouchard

7 goes Dobson
8 goes Hughes
9 is Detroit for Kotkaniemi

Or the Rangers want to jump to Kotkaniemi at 6, you have one of Dobson or Hughes or Bouchard.

It’s not “trading away a top ten pick, it’s we don’t really care which of the second five prospects we get, we would be okay taking any of them at 6, so let’s get another asset too.

LamorielloAndSon

May 28, 2018
Do they take the 12th from the isles and the flames second?

Ok bigger deal

To isles
6th overall
Frans Nielsen

To wings
Both seconds
Nelson

Who adds?

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad