Claimed off Waivers: Red Wings waive Alexey Marchenko - Claimed by TOR

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
Ha. Called it (one of many posters, of course)
Good luck Corrado. Its been a slice.

SB84

Jul 22, 2015
Calgary, AB
I figured this would happen. I like the move. I've only seen Marchenko play a few times but I was always impressed with him. He isn't flashy but he's cerebral and gets the job done. I am more confident in his play than Corrado's. I think Babcock can make him into a top 4 D.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
Wow, Marchenko is 6'3"?

He plays like he is 5'10". Avoids hits like a champ and doesn't have a physical bone in his body. He is the epitome of soft.

He is a steady bottom paring guy, probably a #7 on a playoff team and a #4 on a tanking team, but he can't be expected to play middle pairing in long stretches, he's a good "fill in" guy.

He is soft, and puts himself in bad positions because he's physically shy and gets hurt. He's made of glass. It seems like he's always getting injured by mediocre every day hits that you expect in every NHL game. He is that soft.

Offensively, nothing special. Marchenko doesn't have a special element about his game other than he is steady. That's the only way I can describe him. Soft, steady, and injury prone.

He basically lost his job with the emergence of Jensen who came up from the Griffins and took the world by storm. Jensen doesn't shy away from hits, is probably one of the best skaters (mobility) on the Red Wings, and is proving he has offensive skills and is proving to be just as steady defensively as Marchenko ever was. So it was a no braining that Marchenko was the next dman on the Wings chopping block. I would have liked if he cleared waivers, because he'd a useful guy for injury call ups.

Marchenko will likely be KHL bound after his contract expires. He's not an NHL dman. There are better bottom paring guys out there that can handle the physical aspects of the NHL. Marchenko can't.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
Wow, Marchenko is 6'3"?

He plays like he is 5'10". Avoids hits like a champ and doesn't have a physical bone in his body. He is the epitome of soft.

He is a steady bottom paring guy, probably a #7 on a playoff team and a #4 on a tanking team, but he can't be expected to play middle pairing in long stretches, he's a good "fill in" guy.

He is soft, and puts himself in bad positions because he's physically shy and gets hurt. He's made of glass. It seems like he's always getting injured by mediocre every day hits that you expect in every NHL game. He is that soft.

Offensively, nothing special. Marchenko doesn't have a special element about his game other than he is steady. That's the only way I can describe him. Soft, steady, and injury prone.

He basically lost his job with the emergence of Jensen who came up from the Griffins and took the world by storm. Jensen doesn't shy away from hits, is probably one of the best skaters (mobility) on the Red Wings, and is proving he has offensive skills.

It was a no braining that Marchenko was the next dman on the Wings to get chopped. I would have liked if he cleared waivers, because he'd a useful guy for injury call ups.

Marchenko will likely be KHL bound after his contract expires. He's not an NHL dman. There are better bottom paring guys out there that can handle the physical aspects of the NHL. Marchenko can't.

Tell us how you really feel.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
Tell us how you really feel.

You'll watch him play on your team the next couple of weeks and you'll witness yourself. He's a good steady dman with nothing special about his game. He's exactly what you want in a #7 dman except he is too soft and doesn't play like a 6'3" man. He could be just as effective dman if he was 5'9". Except probably be a better skater if he was smaller :laugh:

He's not a bad skater, just nothing special. He's the epitome of good at everything, not great at one thing. Except offense is subpar. He won't score many goals and has bad shot selections when he tries. Babcock will probably tell him he's not allowed to shoot the puck except into corners. I'm sure Babcock knows he's a defensive dman and will use him as such.

dubey

$$$$$$$*NICE*$$$$$$$ 69 in 79 $$$$$$$*NICE*$$$$$$$
Oct 22, 2006
In your head
You'll watch him play on your team the next couple of weeks and you'll witness yourself. He's a good steady dman with nothing special about his game. He's exactly what you want in a #7 dman except he is too soft and doesn't play like a 6'3" man. He could be just as effective dman if he was 5'9". Except probably be a better skater if he was smaller :laugh:

He's not a bad skater, just nothing special. He's the epitome of good at everything, not great at anything. Except offense. He won't score many goals and has bad shot selections when he tries. Babcock will probably tell him he's not allowed to shoot the puck except into corners.
Dang I was expecting a #1 dman thanx for the info

scorvat53

Jan 21, 2017
I figured this would happen. I like the move. I've only seen Marchenko play a few times but I was always impressed with him. He isn't flashy but he's cerebral and gets the job done. I am more confident in his play than Corrado's. I think Babcock can make him into a top 4 D.

I agree Leafs addressed a need w/o having to trade for it..good move

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
He'll be good in Toronto. His biggest problems are he's bad at protecting himself (gets injured quite a bit), has very limited offense and doesn't play with any physical edge. He's smart, positionally sound, has very good stickwork, and decent puck moving ability. Not surprised Toronto claimed him, Babcock knows how solid the guy can be.

Not a terrible loss for Detroit though since they have a ton of 3rd pairing guys.

Szechwan

Sep 13, 2006
Hopefully they don't ruin his career like they did Corrado's. That kid is going to need years of therapy to get over his fear of being isolated in the pressbox.

Incetardis

Sep 17, 2013
Corrado is the happiest person on earth today. The Leafs have really hurt this kids career. I guess if he's an NHL regular he'll get his shot somewhere, but man he hasn't played much hockey in the last two years.

Because he's not very good. The Leafs bottom pairing has been in flux since he arrived and his play wasn't good enough to steal a spot away from 1 of the 3 guys that are marginal nhlers. I don't feel sorry for him. In most other organizations he would have been released a year ago. At least he got to cash an nhl cheque for the last 18 months

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
Hopefully they don't ruin his career like they did Corrado's. That kid is going to need years of therapy to get over his fear of being isolated in the pressbox.

The poor guy.

I hope he saves his money from the $600,000 one year one-way contract. I don't know if any other team will claim him, let alone put him on the ice and give him another one-way contract for next year.

While sitting in the pressbox wasn't much fun, it's been his most profitable year to date.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
He'll be good in Toronto. His biggest problems are he's bad at protecting himself (gets injured quite a bit), has very limited offense and doesn't play with any physical edge. He's smart, positionally sound, has very good stickwork, and decent puck moving ability. Not surprised Toronto claimed him, Babcock knows how solid the guy can be.

Not a terrible loss for Detroit though since they have a ton of 3rd pairing guys.

Yup, ultimately Nick Jensen made him expandable. Otherwise, would've been happy to have kept him. No loss really. And he's probably KHL bound after his contract expires anyhow. His contract was too damn high for what he brought to the game. Glad to rid his contract if nothing else.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Not a bad pickup for TO. You know that Babs has some limited exposure to Marchenko.
I don't think you're talking about more than a bottom guy who can jump into the lineup from time to time. Decent use of a waiver pickup TBH.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Can't think of anything anyone would ever want from Detroit (besides Marchenko on waivers I guess)

Kronwall, Dekeyser or Green all have value in certain roles. All of them are decent Dmen. That's just an irrational comment being sensitive about someone poo-pooing on the Leafs :laugh:

Toronto makebeleifs

Jul 4, 2014
Now on to step 2... trade hunwick. Happy about this though. I know marchenko has a little bit of offence inside of him, hopefully Babcock can bring that back out; also, this (sadly) does improve the leafs defence.... which kinda makes me want to cry some nights.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad