GDT: Red Wings Training Camp 2015

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
It's interesting to see that we have 13-14 forwards, who can keep up at the TOP9 scoring pace. Only Miele dropped from that pace as we went further, but he is a career Ahlr.

We really can have 4-5 injuries at TOP9 and we won't miss a beat calling up this Fantastic Four Larkin, AA, Lil'Bert and Mantha.

Insane depth.

Zetterberg - Datsyuk - Abdelkader
Tatar - Richards - Nyquist
Franzen - Sheahan - Pulkkinen
Jurco - Larkin - Mantha
(Bertuzzi - Athanasiou)

My god. Sheahan is totally missing from my stats. :D :laugh:
As great as those stats are to see (thanks for compiling) it's still just pre-season and has to be taken with a big grain of salt. Our forward group for the future is really starting to shape up nicely though.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
As great as those stats are to see (thanks for compiling) it's still just pre-season and has to be taken with a big grain of salt. Our forward group for the future is really starting to shape up nicely though.

Grain of salt or not, I like to compare them internally against our regulars. It shows something. It showed that Svechnikov wasn't anyhow ready (didn't score a single point). It showed Nosek doesn't belong in TOP9, we have better options.

It wasn't like Datsyuk assisting kids for easy goals. They created those themselves, on road games, against Nhl players home teams mostly used. That was ****ing impressing.

It also showed how great professional Brad Richards is compared to somebody like Weiss. Prepared despite of short summer after SC win, 100% effort from start, no excuses about new system or anything. Just contributing and producing at high level. Conn Smythe 2004 speaks about all who he is.

Three teams from pre-season, which went without regular time losses, were Detroit, Washington and Anaheim. Would not be surprised if all three will win their own divisions and will meet at Conference Finals.

Last edited:

Hendricks433

Feb 18, 2013
Grain of salt or not, I like to compare them internally against each others. It wan't like Datsyuk assisting kids for easy goals. They created those themselves, on road games, against Nhl players home teams mostly used. That was ****ing impressing.

Yep, it's preseason but you got guys out there fighting for jobs on both sides and the kids outplayed NHLers both on our team and on other teams. Sure the Toews, Crosbys, Malkins, Bergerons aren't going 100% in preseason but a lot of other NHLers who's jobs are on the line should be and they outperformed most people.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Updated Training camp + Pre-season stats for defence:

1. RD Nick Jensen ,,,,,,,, 9GP, 0+5=5p, 11 shots, +10, 1.67 P+Plus/G (Team-high in shots and plusminus...)
2. RD Mike Green ,,,,,,,,,, 5GP, 0+4=4p, 5 shots, +4 , 1.60 P+Plus/G
3. D Xavier Ouellet ,,,,,,,, 7GP, 1+4=5p, 8 shots, +6 , 1.57 P+Plus/G (had 7 blocked shots on last game against Toronto...)
4. D Jakub Kindl ,,,,,,,,,,,, 5GP, 1+3=4p, 5 shots, +3 , 1.40 P+Plus/G
5. D Brendan Smith ,,,,,,, 6GP, 2+2=4p, 5 shots, +2 , 1.00 P+Plus/G
6. D Jonathan Ericsson ,,, 7GP, 1+3=4p, 7 shots, +3 , 1.00 P+Plus/G
7. RD Alexey Marchenko , 7GP, 0+3=3p, 4 shots, +4 , 1.00 P+Plus/G
8. LD Niklas Kronwall ,,,,, 7GP, 0+4=4p, 5 shots, +2 , 0.86 P+Plus/G
9. RD Robbie Russo ,,,,,,, 5GP, 0+1=1p , 1 shot, +3 , 0.80 P+Plus/G

10. LD Brian Lashoff ,,,,,, 8GP, 0+2=2p, 7 shots, +1, 0.38 P+Plus/G
11. RD Ryan Sproul ,,,,,, 7GP, 1+1=2p, 11 shots, +0, 0.29 P+Plus/G
12. LD Dan DeKeyser ,,,,, 6GP, 0+1=1p , 1 shot, +0, 0.17 P+Plus/G
13. D Kyle Quincey ,,,,,,,, 6GP, 0+1=1p, 7 shots, -2, -0.17 P+Plus/G

(P+Plus/G = points and plusminus -rating combined per game)

Last edited:

DanZ

Mar 6, 2008
I find it extremely doubtful that Jensen could be worse than Kindl or Lashoff.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
I find it extremely doubtful that Jensen could be worse than Kindl or Lashoff.
Kindl's contract is just a mess to get rid of, that's the only reason he's on the roster. Lashoff is waived, not sure why anyone's talking about him anymore. Pretty clear for a long time now he is not going to touch NHL ice again unless there's a massive injury crisis.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Kindl has to play to rebound his trade value. If you just burn him on waivers there's zero chance you will ever get rid of that contract. Using him and hoping for a rebound, you have a chance.

Mister Ed

Dec 21, 2008
Was Larkin really better than Anthanasiou in this preseason? Or is it only about the defensive game, in which Larkin is the better of the two?

In the three games I watched during the pre-season, Larkin was as good as Athanasiou, with more defensive game. I think that's what gave him the edge.

DanZ

Mar 6, 2008
In the three games I watched during the pre-season, Larkin was as good as Athanasiou, with more defensive game. I think that's what gave him the edge.

I think Larkin has less holes in his game than Athanasiou. He's already great defensively so he has less to work on in the AHL.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
I think Larkin has less holes in his game than Athanasiou. He's already great defensively so he has less to work on in the AHL.
I think they really want AA to keep developing at C. There's not much room for him to do that on the Wings. Larkin is a natural C so I don't think they're as concerned about possibly putting him on the wing for now.

Actual Thought*

I don't know why Ken Holland is afraid to put Kindl on waivers, I would rather have Kindl on waivers if he clears he can play in Grand Rapids and keep Jensen up. Would much rather see Jensen then Kindl.

You know you are likely talking about who sits in the press box right? Why would you want your prospect not playing hockey? Beating out the 7th D is not the goal of a prospect. He needs to beat out at least someone in the top 6.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
I don't know why Ken Holland is afraid to put Kindl on waivers, I would rather have Kindl on waivers if he clears he can play in Grand Rapids and keep Jensen up. Would much rather see Jensen then Kindl.
I'm not sure about the exact numbers but we'd be on the hook for a part of Kindl's salary still, so for cap purposes waiving him isn't a great decision. I think Holland is waiting as long as possible to do it. If XO stays up with the team while Dekeyser is out, hopefully he plays so well that Holland has no choice but to bite the bullet on burying Kindl in GR.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
You know you are likely talking about who sits in the press box right? Why would you want your prospect not playing hockey? Beating out the 7th D is not the goal of a prospect. He needs to beat out at least someone in the top 6.

Yeah I agree having one of your prospects pineing away in the Press Box doesn't make any sense. It would make far more sense for Kindl to be spending time in the press box then Jensen.

hyduK

Feb 21, 2009
Ansar Khan ‏@AnsarKhanMLive 42m42 minutes ago
Larkin skating with Zetterberg and Abdelkader.

Ansar Khan ‏@AnsarKhanMLive 39m39 minutes ago
With Richards not practicing I don't know if I'd read too much into the lines today. Sheahan skating with Franzen and Jurco.

Ansar Khan ‏@AnsarKhanMLive 37m37 minutes ago
Defense:
Kronwall-Ericsson
Quincey-Green
Smith-Kindl
Ouellet-Marchenko

Ansar Khan ‏@AnsarKhanMLive 36m36 minutes ago
Howard occupying net usually manned by the next game's starter.

Ansar Khan ‏@AnsarKhanMLive 29m29 minutes ago
Glendening skating with Tatar and Nyquist, so there's no point reading into the lines. Andersson with Miller and Ferraro/Cleary.

Ansar Khan ‏@AnsarKhanMLive 28m28 minutes ago
Pulkkinen rotating in with Jurco on line with Sheahan and Franzen.

Like Khan mentioned, no point reading into it...but I'd be disappointed if Kindl starts over XO...

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
The interesting part of that is Larkin with Z and Abby. Another indication that he is at least VERY close to taking a roster spot. Glenny could just be placeholder for Richards. Franzen-Sheahan seem to be a lock for that 3rd line, with Jurco and Pulkks battling it out for the last top 9 spot IF Larkin gets a job.

Abby-Z-Larkin
Tatar-Richards-Nyquist
Franzen-Sheahan-Jurco/Pulkkinen
Miller-Glendening-Andersson/Ferraro

I'd be fine with that on opening night.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Kronwall and Smith. Just do it.

I really wanna trade Stone Hands Luke to Toronto.
Let's see if Smith can hold down a 3rd pairing job first.

And I would HATE having Glenny on a division rival. If we ever trade him, make sure it's out of the conference so we don't have to live with him shutting down our top players several times per season + playoffs.

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
Let's see if Smith can hold down a 3rd pairing job first.

And I would HATE having Glenny on a division rival. If we ever trade him, make sure it's out of the conference so we don't have to live with him shutting down our top players several times per season + playoffs.

Smith has demonstrated that he plays well with Kronwall in the past. Frankly, I'd rather see him with Kronwall than Ericsson. Ouellet over Kindl as well.

Now we really find out what Larkin can do.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad