Confirmed with Link: Red Wings sign F Daniel Sprong (1 yr, 2M)

Axel Sandy Pelikan

Jonatan Berggren is our Lord and Savior,
May 11, 2023
I think we already have too many forwards. Should get rid of one or two to give space for Kasper.

No, we shouldn’t. Kasper should make room for Kasper. What are you people not getting about this.

If Marco Kasper is good enough, he’ll play.

Datsyuk and Zetterberg forced their ways onto teams much better than this one. Sean Avery forced his way onto the ice for a team with 9 hall of famers, 5 of which were forwards.

If you love these young players so damn much, why don’t you want them to face the crucible and come out stronger?

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
Well haven't you heard in this forum yet? Marco Kasper is a walking HofF'er already.

I think Sprong was brought in for his shot and to push guys for roles on that 3rd line. To me... He'll get the look vs other guys, but we'll see. I'm sure training camp, etc, will have many battling for essentially the same roles.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Something to compare about:

Season 2022-23:
Anthony Mantha, 67 games, 11+16=27 points, -8, 14:13 TOI, 5.7M caphit
Daniel Sprong, 66 games, 21+25=46 points, +13, 11:25 TOI, 2.0M caphit

Mantha, 0.40 points per game
Sprong, 0.70 points per game

Mantha, 1.70 points/60
Sprong, 3.66 points/60

Mantha, 0.211 millions per point
Sprong, 0.043 millions per point (5-times cheaper)

On-ice GF/60
Mantha 2.52
Sprong 4.54

On-ice GA/60
Mantha 2.90
Sprong 2.15

On-ice GF%
Mantha 46.1% (9th best forward in team)
Spring 67.9% (Team-best)

Last edited:

RRhoads

Mar 10, 2015
Norway
No, we shouldn’t. Kasper should make room for Kasper. What are you people not getting about this.

Datsyuk and Zetterberg forced their ways onto teams much better than this one. Sean Avery forced his way onto the ice for a team with 9 hall of famers, 5 of which were forwards.

If you love these young players so damn much, why don’t you want them to face the crucible and come out stronger?
Do you mean like Nyquist?

I am not saying we should just play the kids. I just don't believe that the kids just have to play better than the guys already up. They have to be a lot better to earn a spot. At this point in our rebuild, we need to bring people up on a steady pace. We don't want too many up at the same time. Kasper is good enough, Edvinsson is good enough, and I stand by that.

Axel Sandy Pelikan

May 11, 2023

I am not saying we should just play the kids. I just don't believe that the kids just have to play better than the guys already up. They have to be a lot better to earn a spot. At this point in our rebuild, we need to bring people up on a steady pace. We don't want too many up at the same time. Kasper is good enough, Edvinsson is good enough, and I stand by that.
Let's see them do that.

And Nyquist was an exception because Dan Cleary clearly had some kompromat on Kenny Holland.

No, at this point in the rebuild, we need to develop the kids at the level that is appropriate for them and they will show what level is appropriate for them by their play in training camp.

If they're good enough, they will make the Wings make a move. If they're half as good as everyone wants to make them out to be... clearing the bar that is Daniel Sprong shouldn't be an issue. Outplaying JT Compher shouldn't be a problem for a hotshot first round pick. Lucas Raymond made the team his rookie year. Dylan Larkin made the team his rookie year. Anthony Mantha was going to make the team his rookie year had he not shattered his leg.

The problem isn't having too many young players up at the same time. It's having too many unprepared young players up at the same time.

Reactions: Snuggs

RRhoads

Mar 10, 2015
Norway
. Lucas Raymond made the team his rookie year. Dylan Larkin made the team his rookie year.
Both players you mentioned were so good that they made top line, and it seems that is the bar, that or injury. That has been the case. It was the same with Berggren too.

Axel Sandy Pelikan

May 11, 2023
Both players you mentioned were so good that they made top line, and it seems that is the bar, that or injury. That has been the case. It was the same with Berggren too.
Yeah, so good that they can't keep them down. You may think that's a crazy bar... but honestly, as a rookie if you're good enough to play the role you were drafted to play? You should play. If you can't beat out a guy in that role soundly? You should get seasoning in the minors.

We ran up Jurco too fast, put him in a role that didn't suit him, and it ruined him as a player.

Detroit Knights

Feb 29, 2012

because that is not equit....nevermind.

Detroit Knights

Feb 29, 2012

but if you are saying something/someone is "good enough" then it isn't really good enough. Can't look at something and say yeah, that/they're good enough. Because then you are selling yourself/it short.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
He has to play better than any of Top12 to push one guy out.

I would be fine with 34 goals, and assisting 32 for Larkin.

DeBrincat will have the best 5v5 linemates on this team unless something goes awry. I think with the team being deeper and better defensively that 30+ goals and 70+ points is reasonable.

A healthy Sprong with 3RW time and PP2 should be a 20-20 guy. He seems like a Kubalik replacement. I hope his defense is better than advertised because if not it’ll be a short stop in Detroit.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland

Season 2020-21.

DeBrincat will have the best 5v5 linemates on this team unless something goes awry. I think with the team being deeper and better defensively that 30+ goals and 70+ points is reasonable.

A healthy Sprong with 3RW time and PP2 should be a 20-20 guy. He seems like a Kubalik replacement. I hope his defense is better than advertised because if not it’ll be a short stop in Detroit.

One major difference is that Kubalik couldn't score from Bottom6.

Sprong can.

And DeBrincat does the 1,5 times better damage than Kubalik on scoring at Top line.

Only win-wins in here.

EDIT:

Sprong, not Sproul. Man that name is hard to write, it's almost always Spring, before I correct it.

Last edited:
Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

haulinbass

Mar 6, 2014

It is true, these kids usually have to be better than the the player they are taking the spot from. This team should be focusing on developing any player who is ready enough to begin developing in the NHL. Not compeiting to earn the 10-14th overall draft pick.

TheOctopusKid

Sep 24, 2010
I wonder how much power play time he gets.

He has one hell of a shot.

Assume a 1-3-1 again;

Point - Mo and Ghost

Left Half - Debrincat and Perron seem to be the obvious choices here

Right Wall/Bumper - Raymond/Berggren

High Slot - Larkin/Copp

Low Slot - Compher/ ?

Really, replacing Bert/Sunny/Chiasson - with Compher is a pretty obvious plug, but who plays on the 2nd PP down low...no idea. Maybe slide Copp down and move Fabbri to the high slot although that doesn't feel like a great fit.

Feels like Debrincat/Perron/Sprong/Fabbri all kind of operate in the same PP role here? Not sure...

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
One major difference is that Kubalik couldn't score from Bottom6.

Sprong can.

Sprong can carry the puck, Kubalik can't.

The question is how effective his game will be against higher pairing defensemen? We know he can get around third pairing guys. That, and whether or not he's coachable at all. His defense has improved, but coaches seem to hate him. Heck even Canada hates him, he's been in the country for 2 decades and they won't give him a citizenship.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020

The question is how effective his game will be against higher pairing defensemen? We know he can get around third pairing guys. That, and whether or not he's coachable at all. His defense has improved, but coaches seem to hate him. Heck even Canada hates him, he's been in the country for 2 decades and they won't give him a citizenship.

In theory, if Sprong has Berggren/Fabbri and Compher on his line I would expect that to be a very, very solid 3rd line that will cause quite a few mismatches against other 3rd/4th lines, some 2nd pairings and most 3rd pairings.

Reactions: KJoe88 and Bench

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland

The question is how effective his game will be against higher pairing defensemen? We know he can get around third pairing guys. That, and whether or not he's coachable at all.

Let him score against those 3rd pairings. He is one of the best on that at NHL.

Let that top6 worry about opposite top4 D.

It's usually very rare that player can score that much with so low ice-time. It's difficult when there's no rhytm.

And usually everbody starts calling for bigger icetime. Let him be with small ice-time, score with small ice-time, do his thing.

Preposterone

Dec 6, 2013
Sprong has quite a bit of untapped potential yet. Don't sleep on him. Instead, point him to Lafayette Coney Island so the inner hot dog beast can be awakened in Detroit.

daniel-sprong-2023-8981.jpg

i
Sprong has been desperately clinging to that hairline since he was like 19. It’s the Dutch genes; poor kid never had a chance

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
In theory, if Sprong has Berggren/Fabbri and Compher on his line I would expect that to be a very, very solid 3rd line that will cause quite a few mismatches against other 3rd/4th lines, some 2nd pairings and most 3rd pairings.

In theory, if Burger and Sprong play the same line then Compher's on his own playing defense. I can also imagine that there will some wild outlet passes by Fabbri if Sprong is on the same line. Then again, it seems all of the wingers have some sort of deficiency, so the team has to take chances one way or the other.

If someone has time, it'd be interesting to see the tally of which D pairs he beat last season.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
In theory, if Burger and Sprong play the same line then Compher's on his own playing defense. I can also imagine that there will some wild outlet passes by Fabbri if Sprong is on the same line. Then again, it seems all of the wingers have some sort of deficiency, so the team has to take chances one way or the other.

If someone has time, it'd be interesting to see the tally of which D pairs he beat last season.

Berggren is never getting any Selke votes but you’re overstating what a defensive liability he is. He’s not terrible, it’s just not where his strengths are at.

Also Compher DID get Selke votes, and he’ll have 2 defensemen on the ice with him. We’ll be fine.

You want Compher (or Copp) getting the puck in our zone then to Berggren, and Berggren to Sprong to finish the play. It’s not rocket science.

Hoog

Feb 4, 2021
The Dutch Cannon needs to be in on power plays and I believe he will. In the little time he got per game he had 6 PP goals, which would have placed him second on the Wings last year. The cat had 11 last year and 14 the year before. We just upgraded our PP tremendously with just these 2. Compher and Ghost each had 5 as well. Our special teams should be light years ahead of last year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad