Confirmed with Link: Red Wings sign D Justin Holl 3 years, 10.2M (3.4M AAV)

heyfolks

Apr 30, 2007
When the best thing you can say is the contract isn't that bad of a cap hit, and he has only two searchable highlights for the season, you know it's an unpopular deal.

When asked about this, Yzerman replied:

DanielMarois

May 25, 2013
Remember that Simpsons where Mr.Burns realizes that Homer may not be the brilliant tactician that he thought he was?

Holden Caufield

Oct 9, 2020
Ontario
puppet-puke.gif

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
I just noticed that on top of everything else this guy is 31

so he might even decline over the next 3 years to be even worse than he is now

Reactions: iDangleDangle

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
I'm not seeing the disaster most of you are. He's big, moves well, and can crunch a lot of minutes.

I get the sense he's the Johnathan Ericsson of the Leafs.

Ericsson was good, Holl is not. Holl is a poor man's Nick Jensen and I think Nick Jensen is kind of meh. He was on the ice for 76% of Toronto's goals against in the series they lost or some such number. Saw him play it was bad, not just media hyperbole. Here he is going to be asked to play more minutes is my guess and that spells disaster just like Chiarot.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Ericsson was good, Holl is not. Holl is a poor man's Nick Jensen and I think Nick Jensen is kind of meh. He was on the ice for 76% of Toronto's goals against in the series they lost or some such number. Saw him play it was bad, not just media hyperbole. Here he is going to be asked to play more minutes is my guess and that spells disaster just like Chiarot.

Ericsson was considered a disaster by half the people here.

And Holl was on the ice for a lot of goals because the coaches kept sending him over the boards. Stats like that are so situational, unless you can break down every goal and point to his gaffs, I'm not going to make judgements.

There has to be some reason he was by and far Toronto's top PK guy? Because he's worthless and should be playing in the AHL, I guess? Feels extreme.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
I'm being sold that everything bad happened in TML's playoff run was this guys fault. While being a bottom paring D-man partnered with an aging vet.

I get the signing. RHD with some [inconsistent] snarl. I think his job/role here is to be stable vet who lets his D-partner do the work. Probably Edvinsson?

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Ericsson was considered a disaster by half the people here.

And Holl was on the ice for a lot of goals because the coaches kept sending him over the boards. Stats like that are so situational, unless you can break down every goal and point to his gaffs, I'm not going to make judgements.

There has to be some reason he was by and far Toronto's top PK guy? Because he's worthless and should be playing in the AHL, I guess? Feels extreme.

Getting sent over the boards doesn't mean you are good, it can just as easily be the coach making a bad choice. The media pointed it out to him, and Holl was immediately out of the lineup the next game.

Everything bad that happened in TML's playoff run was this guys fault. As a bottom paring D-man partnered with an aging vet.

I get the signing. RHD with some [inconsistent] snarl. I think his job is here is to be stable vet who lets his D-partner do the work. Probably Edvinsson?

Giordano was slow and probably done in the NHL for sure, but he looked better than Holl.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
Getting sent over the boards doesn't mean you are good, it can just as easily be the coach making a bad choice. The media pointed it out to him, and Holl was immediately out of the lineup the next game.

Giordano was slow and probably done in the NHL for sure, but he looked better than Holl.

I always considered TMLs defense in it's entirety to be garbage. Hard to pin-point one guy as the fall guy. I have to think Yzerman saw something in this guy over his improper utilization. I think Yzerman sees things no one else can.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease

I keep hearing he's bad because he's bad. Circular logic.

Like he's making $3 million for 3 years, so I'm not expecting an all-star here. The contract is representative of someone that is a modest addition with the intention of adding more physicality to the blueline.

It's Ericsson all over again. Ericsson got put into big spots because nobody else could do it. And then he got exposed against top lines and people dumped on him for years and years.

Like the way people are talking here, Holl is lucky to be in the league.

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
I always considered TMLs defense in it's entirety to be garbage. Hard to pin-point one guy as the fall guy. I have to think Yzerman saw something in this guy over his improper utilization. I think Yzerman sees things no one else can.

It is, no doubt. But I watched a number of the games, and he was as bad as advertised in the playoffs. I honestly think of him as Nick Jensen only worse and I think Jensen is nothing great at all. Similar in the way they move out there.

Like I said, Gio is likely done as a full time guy and was slow, but he was still making sound plays when he was keeping up with the play. Holl was playing the puck like it was a grenade.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
I keep hearing he's bad because he's bad. Circular logic.

Like he's making $3 million for 3 years, so I'm not expecting an all-star here. The contract is representative of someone that is a modest addition with the intention of adding more physicality to the blueline.

It's Ericsson all over again. Ericsson got put into big spots because nobody else could do it. And then he got exposed against top lines and people dumped on him for years and years.

Like the way people are talking here, Holl is lucky to be in the league.

He panics with the puck on his stick, and is soft. Ericsson didn't play the puck like a grenade on his stick and would stand up for teammates while providing solid defence. Holl doesn't stand up for teammates really, doesn't have any offence, and is average at best defensively, but then you add his puck handling in his own end which can be scary. Leafs fans who watched him all year also said he was constantly out of position which is what I noticed in the playoffs when I watched him a decent amount.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad