Red Wings Sell Out Their Brand (New Presenting Sponsor)

Fugu

RIP Barb
Nov 26, 2004
϶(°o°)ϵ
FDA amongst others. Rigorous testing from what Ive been able to find. Its manufactured by an Amway subsidiary called Access Business Services or some such misnomer, sounding more like an offering for shared office space than vitamins & weight loss supplements huh?. Where its made I dont know, but as you'll likely be handed a free sample next time you hit the Joe, origin of manufacturing must be stated on the label..... as for the rest of your post, thats my fear. A captive audience of emotional & excited bodies to sell to; the NHL & the Red Wings some pretty decent bait. Kids programs with Mom or Dad or both in tow; Amway IOB's planted throughout the building; creeps me out too, just thinking of the possibilities, a MLM's wet dream..... :scared:

The FDA regulates a couple of things. A lot of it is about what you claim on the label. Ethical pharmaceuticals are only approved for a given indication after years of clinical research is submitted to support the claim, along with the appropriate toxicity, carcinogenic, and other studies. You cannot say X is indicated for disease/condition until you present the data that shows it works and exactly how. Manufacturing conditions are monitored under GMP guidelines, which depend a lot on what is being ingested or injected into the human body (tablets, shots, infusions, creams, drops.... my list isn't meant to be exhaustive).

The nutritional and supplements guys operate under a different set of rules. The manufacturer has to abide by the requisite manufacturing practices (see how some Pharma companies are having problems with offshore facilities). You can make Vitamin D and slap on a sticker that says, Vitamin D. That's it. You don't have to claim that it really will cure anything or that people with certain conditions should take it.

Amway is a marketing company. They don't have the expertise to make this stuff but these guys do:

Perrigo Company is a leading global health-care supplier and the world's largest manufacturer of over-the-counter pharmaceutical and nutritional products for the store-brand market. Perrigo believes in providing high-quality products and superior service at affordable prices to purchasers, providers, pharmacists and patients. The company also develops, manufactures and markets prescription generic drugs, active pharmaceutical ingredients and consumer products. With its 2005 acquisition of Agis Industries, a developer and manufacturer of specialized generic pharmaceuticals and active pharmaceutical ingredients, Perrigo now offers an extensive and growing line of topical and oral solid dose prescription products. Perrigo's product line includes analgesics, cough and cold remedies, gastrointestinal and feminine hygiene products, as well as vitamins, dietary supplements and nutritional drinks.

A Holland, Michigan, company. For example.

So you just slap your sticker on it and see how many people will buy into your "added value" schtick. Imho. :)

Just eat berries of various colors, some fish oil, and brightly colored veggies instead. :laugh:

Northland Wild Man

Finnesotans?
Jun 14, 2011
Grand Forks, ND
So answer me this. Let's say that a fan goes to buy a piece Red Wing merchandise (not a jersey) with let's say Commodore's name on it. (you know you're all lining up to get the stuff :sarcasm:) Is the Amway logo included or not?

Mungman

It's you not me.
Mar 27, 2011
Outside the Asylum
So answer me this. Let's say that a fan goes to buy a piece Red Wing merchandise (not a jersey) with let's say Commodore's name on it. (you know you're all lining up to get the stuff :sarcasm:) Is the Amway logo included or not?

Oh boy can I be the first to line up to get a Fathead of the winged wheel with presented by Amway on it to put in my rec room.:shakehead

What's next, Phoenix Coyotes brought to you by Enron or some other bankrupt company:sarcasm:. Or Toronto Maple Leafs presented by AOL (compare the number of AOL discs you used to get that pissed you off to the number of Saturdays you're stuck watching the Leafs lose to everyone).:naughty:

The Bob Cole

Ohhhh Baby.
Apr 18, 2004
Centre Ice
To my understanding, a presenting sponsor is different to a sponsor. Wings have had plenty of those. Or the "official product of DRW" type of things.

Can you find one example where an NHL team has another brand stamped next to their logo everywhere that logo appears (except jerseys)?

Any collateral last year presented by the Canucks for the 40th anniversary (aka everything during the year) had to have the sponsors accompanying their brand.

I can't speak for other markets but a quick look around at a couple other teams and it seems like some other teams have it:

http://rangers.nhl.com/

new_york_rangers_2011-12_season_subscribers.jpg

nyr.com_headder_swap3.png

The Bob Cole

Ohhhh Baby.
Apr 18, 2004
Centre Ice
Lui, I dont know that anyone has a problem with the concept or execution of a "Presenting Sponsor" per se', I personally dont. Its this particular sponsor thats the problem. We fortunately dont have a huge Amway presence out here in La La Land, but elsewhere, its a problem, and decidedly an embarrassment to Michiganders' specifically as thats where there headquartered, bad rep, not the type you want dating your daughter etc....

There are still a couple people in here hung up over the fact there is a presenting sponsor in general, not just which company it is. The original post brought up the issue that this was something 'new' and (likely) harmful to the league.

Fugu

RIP Barb
Nov 26, 2004
϶(°o°)ϵ
Any collateral last year presented by the Canucks for the 40th anniversary (aka everything during the year) had to have the sponsors accompanying their brand.

I can't speak for other markets but a quick look around at a couple other teams and it seems like some other teams have it:

Thanks, King Lui. I edited my OP to indicate this isn't the first case of a presenting sponsorship in the NHL.

There are still a couple people in here hung up over the fact there is a presenting sponsor in general, not just which company it is. The original post brought up the issue that this was something 'new' and (likely) harmful to the league.

It is relatively new, certainly never done by the Wings before, and I personally don't like coupling team brands to corporations, some of whom may be controversial. Branding is undoubtedly mostly about perception, so depending on the reputations and actions of each entity, an association can go badly.

That's my personal opinion on branding.

I also used Tiger Woods as an example, and why he'd get dumped by a sponsor. It's easy to understand when an endorsed athlete breaks the law and is convicted, but Tiger's transgressions were more of a moral but personal nature. In those cases, sponsors wish to convey a set of values they feel is important to their customers and prospects.

I can understand why Amway would wish to team up with the Red Wings. I still cannot understand why the Wings would want to team up with Amway (due to the negative perceptions that exist about that company). Money shouldn't be the only thing considered.

Eaglepride*

Yes I admit I'am one of them, so what? I don't like my team presented by a company, especially not such a shady pyramid one as Shameway.

There is only ONE thing I wanna see combined with the logo: Detroit Red Wings and not a corporate brand.

If you look at our SEL jerseys you can easily see why people are heavily against this stuff in the NHL.

hockey is for you and me, not for ****ing industry.

Anway I think based on the outrage the Wings reputation has already taken a huge hit from this.

Brodie

HACK THE BONE! HACK THE BONE!
Mar 19, 2009
Chicago
I guess it's a fundamental disagreement between those who believe sport is some sort of sacred cow that should be kept separate from things like advertising and politics and those who just don't care. Hockey is still hockey with ads on the jerseys, the Wings are still the Wings with an Amway logo plastered next to the winged wheel. I cheer for a hockey team, not some intangible sense of integrity.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
My parents got into Amway when I was a kid, but they dropped it pretty quickly when they realized it was a scam. We had the useless Amway products sitting in our bathroom shelves for ages, nobody wanted to use any of them. We finally threw them out when we moved houses.

I don't think anyone actually benefits from associating with Amway. It has a terrible reputation for a reason. The fact that Amway will use Wings games as a place to promote their shady business model doesn't reflect very well on the team.

kdb209

Jan 26, 2005
I'm really curious how the Wings would respond to fans showing up with shirts with:

34882_406659315046_570100046_5023119_6933388_s.jpg

41576_66095151608_5609418_n.jpg

MaskedSonja

Feb 3, 2007
Formerly Tinalera
Doing some skimming around the net on this subject and the majority of Red Wings fans are not happy with this deal-less the idea of the "presented by" than the actual company presenting them.

Any chance that the "visuals" of Amway ends up being in a far reduced capacity than originally anticpated-the name being on a lot less product?

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
I can understand why Amway would wish to team up with the Red Wings. I still cannot understand why the Wings would want to team up with Amway (due to the negative perceptions that exist about that company). Money shouldn't be the only thing considered.

Inside Job. Wilson.

Doing some skimming around the net on this subject and the majority of Red Wings.....

Its not just Red Wings fans who are disturbed by this TL, its anyone who gives a tinkers about the game, the NHL, Juniors, amateur hockey.....

MaskedSonja

Feb 3, 2007
Formerly Tinalera
Inside Job. Wilson.

Its not just Red Wings fans who are disturbed by this TL, its anyone who gives a tinkers about the game, the NHL, Juniors, amateur hockey.....

I just wonder legally, this all being done, could Red Wings org have any recourse? Doubtful they could tear up the contract unless they're prepared to go to court, just wonder what if ANYTHING they could do to stem the tide a bit?

Mungman

It's you not me.
Mar 27, 2011
Outside the Asylum
I guess it's a fundamental disagreement between those who believe sport is some sort of sacred cow that should be kept separate from things like advertising and politics and those who just don't care. Hockey is still hockey with ads on the jerseys, the Wings are still the Wings with an Amway logo plastered next to the winged wheel. I cheer for a hockey team, not some intangible sense of integrity.

IMO the difference here between "regular"business and sport is that sport is completely reliant on goodwill for fan support. A regular business produces goods or services that are of some "use" to the buyer, sport is not only pure entertainment but counts on building almost a cult like following. You can't blow your goodwill by making errors in who you tie your apron strings to. this tiein may not directly result in the Wings losing fans but may create conditions conducive to losing fans if there is a serious slump in performance.

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs
My god, this thread is such an over exaggeration.

I can understand being upset about who the sponsor is. That's one thing.

But to act like presenting sponsors are a new thing, and that in the end they really have any effect is just hilarious. Those that think that you are ALWAYS going to see the Amway logo beneath the Wings logo are out of your minds. As has been shown in this thread, there is a lot of precedence for this type of deal. The Rangers have Chase. The Hawks have AT&T. That basically consists of getting a spot on the webpage and the jumbotrons having the AT&T logo during some transitions. That's basically all it is and all this will likely end up being.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad