Red Wings Sell Out Their Brand (New Presenting Sponsor)

FlyerCub

Oct 8, 2003
Visit site
The Flyers also have a presenting sponsor this year - RansomeCAT. There were schedule magnets courtesy of Toyota that were given out at Opening Night presented by Kia for the 2011-12 Philadelphia Flyers presented by RansomeCAT at the Wells Fargo Center. (Thankfully the various sponsors were never actually mentioned in one continuous grouping like that.)

Oobz

Sep 29, 2009
Marquette, MI
I've watched every wings game this season and I forgot all about amway until I saw this thread again. I bet a majority of wings fans don't care.

His Beardliness*

I wouldn't notice if wasn't for Puck Daddy blog calling them Detroit Red Wings Presented by Amway, everytime. :laugh:

MaskedSonja

Feb 3, 2007
Formerly Tinalera
Best I could do:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

But it seriously didn't look that bad, I man apart from directly over the scoreboard, all the other banners weren't being blocked by the Amway ones.

To my eyes, while they may not be blocking, they DO force the eye to them and away from the banners-to me they are an eyesore (that's me personally) I don't think you need all those Banners-one or two would suffice.

There's what 6 there? I think either the two white banners, for 4 of the blue banners, one for each side, would be fine-there's too much there

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Thats just in your face bad. Its one thing to wallpaper the boards, the players benches & penalty boxes, scoreboard including commercials, LED banner bars circumnavigating the bowls, mezzanines & exits/entances etc, now their papering the ceilings. Im against that period. You look up, you wanna see the Retired Players, Conference & Division, Stanley Cup banners, and you sure as shootin dont want to see logo I.D. slapped on those either but thats likely coming as well... Whats next?. A fleet of motorized inflatables ala Pink Floyd's Flying Pig's dropping Bon-Bombs of Amway's Nutrilite product samples on the crowds?...

Last edited:

X8oD

Feb 27, 2002
612 Warf Ave.
ive watched every wings game this season. and as another wings fan has said, I forgot about the Amway thing, until i saw this thread again.

Its not nearly as overpowering as some may want you to believe. Its barely mentioned during Telecasts (if at all). Im not taking away anything from the "objections" to Amway as a whole. But the crossover promotion has been very very minimal to people not looking for excuses to slam the team.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
ive watched every wings game this season. and as another wings fan has said, I forgot about the Amway thing, until i saw this thread again.

Well Im' sorry X8oD but thats hardly objective. You have to separate television from a live in-arena experience. Of course it wouldnt bother the viewer from home or in a bar because cameras' dont generally pan up above the scoreboard. But when your in the building?. Totally different story & perspective.

Even removing Amway from the equation, lets say its a Ford or whatever, I simply find the positioning of the signage objectionable period. "Slamming" the Red Wings over this I believe is as misguided as their decision was to contemplate papering the ceiling in the first place. They are simply caught up in the waves of change, looking to exploit every avenue possible for some extra bucks. I certainly dont begrudge them that nor do I have any less respect for them for doing so, though ya, they shouldve showed better taste in picking a partner. The shirt doesnt go with the pants. Not cool. Moderation, consideration, ethics, presentation, taste, class etc should be exhibited, yet the NHL is just turning itself into Nascar on Acid, and Im not likin it.

Last edited:

Brodie

HACK THE BONE! HACK THE BONE!
Mar 19, 2009
Chicago
so basically it's just more ads around the arena? REALLY SOLD THAT BRAND OUT, DIDN'T WE

X8oD

Feb 27, 2002
612 Warf Ave.
Well Im' sorry X8oD but thats hardly objective. You have to separate television from a live in-arena experience. Of course it wouldnt bother the viewer from home or in a bar because cameras' dont generally pan up above the scoreboard. But when your in the building?. Totally different story & perspective.

Even removing Amway from the equation, lets say its a Ford or whatever, I simply find the positioning of the signage objectionable period. "Slamming" the Red Wings over this I believe is as misguided as their decision was to contemplate papering the ceiling in the first place. They are simply caught up in the waves of change, looking to exploit every avenue possible for some extra bucks. I certainly dont begrudge them that nor do I have any less respect for them for doing so, though ya, they shouldve showed better taste in picking a partner. The shirt doesnt go with the pants. Not cool. Moderation, consideration, ethics, presentation, taste, class etc should be exhibited, yet the NHL is just turning itself into Nascar on Acid, and Im not likin it.

ya, this is a whole lot about your own opinion, then actual fact.

the Banners are Meh, the boards have had adds for years. And If you goto a hockey game and stare at the ceiling the entire night, you wasted your money.

And Nascar on Acid? 3 Banners added, and its Nascar on acid? holy overstatement batman.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
1) ya, this is a whole lot about your own opinion, then actual fact.

2) the Banners are Meh, the boards have had adds for years. And If you goto a hockey game and stare at the ceiling the entire night, you wasted your money.

3) And Nascar on Acid? 3 Banners added, and its Nascar on acid? holy overstatement batman.

1) Damn straight its my "opinion", based on "fact".

2) Im a Leafs fan. Its quite impossible not to look straight up when your downing 200 proof tequila from a flask to numb the pain.

3) Its everything combined. Take your poison. Orange Sunshine or Purple Micro-Dots?. Amway Nutralite or Breaking Bad?.

Eaglepride*

How can people say it doesn't look that bad? Our roster guys are now hanging in one line with banners from a shady, questionable company?! Thats disgusting and

I hope Mike will fire Wilson soon, this guy and his ideas are a disgrace for our organization.

Brodie

HACK THE BONE! HACK THE BONE!
Mar 19, 2009
Chicago
Our Boys Are Standing Up There In Front Of An Ad For Miller Lite! Fire Somebody Ahhhhh

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Our Boys Are Standing Up There In Front Of An Ad For Miller Lite! Fire Somebody Ahhhhh

If the Wings put on their thinking caps & got creative, wanted a complimentary "Presenting Sponsor" they'd have gone after Goodyear (Firestone, Toyo or any other number of tire mfgs') with a proposal that featured 6' helium filled Dirigibles. Miniatures of the Blimp. Stationed them over the balconys & upper bowl seating areas hanging from the rafters well out of range of both sightlines & camera view, absolutely nothing over center ice blocking SC & retired number banners etc. . ticket stub portion you retain upon entrance to The Joe valid for a discount on tire rotations or a new set of radials/snow tires at their retailers, discounts on Wings merchandise or whatever. This dealeo with Amway is unimaginative while simultaneously being repugnant to legions of the teams fans.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad