Salary Cap: Red Wings roster with 69.0M Final estimation

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
I bet Kenny will shave some hundred thousands off those RFA deals, no arbitrations to worry about. Especially Sheahan I don't see why he would get more than Nyquist got last summer. And as Alfie will likely be an August signing, they can sign a defenseman first and worry about Alfie later(could take a lower base, more bonus).

I'm thinking the very same thing.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
I bet Kenny will shave some hundred thousands off those RFA deals, no arbitrations to worry about. Especially Sheahan I don't see why he would get more than Nyquist got last summer. And as Alfie will likely be an August signing, they can sign a defenseman first and worry about Alfie later(could take a lower base, more bonus).

That would be the best-case-scenario.

detredWINgs

Jan 1, 2004
Michigan
Visit site
Wait, why are we penciling in Alfie before we find out for sure what is happening to our defense? Holland should be taken out back in shot if he signs Alfie to a $3M base before we officially lose out on Boyle, Ehrhoff, Nisky, and Stralman.

Alfie should sit quietly until it's all said and done. It's in his best interest to do so if he ever wants a Cup.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
Wait, why are we penciling in Alfie before we find out for sure what is happening to our defense? Holland should be taken out back in shot if he signs Alfie to a $3M base before we officially lose out on Boyle, Ehrhoff, Nisky, and Stralman.

Alfie should sit quietly until it's all said and done. It's in his best interest to do so if he ever wants a Cup.

Not sure it makes sense to sign a 41 year old with a bad back. :facepalm:

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007

Isn't that essentially what is happening?

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009

Because that's what happened last year. We haven't really addressed our defense at all. In fact, for the past few years it's been guys like Colaiacavo, Commodore, Huskins, Quincey, Salei. Serviceable stop-gap measures at best for the most part. Other than DD, no real decent moves on the back end.

I don't know if that'll change this year, I hope it does. But we've been saying it has to be "this year" for 2-3 years now, when Rafalski and Stuart were leaving and Lidstrom was about to leave.

Hendricks433

Feb 18, 2013
Babcock didn't sound like he was too keen on Alfie at the draft. Said he has to be healthy and if he can't practice with the team and misses a ton of games he is just blocking a spot for a kid. Sounds like he'd prefer Jurco up. I really hope we see Jurco up with Dats and Z instead of Abby. He can do the hard work Abby does but has way more skill. One of Abby, Miller, Glendending will have to sit if Helm is our 4C.

Z, Dats, Jurco
Franzen, Weiss, Nyquist
Tatar, Sheahan, Alfie/Mantha(play this line like a 2B for Mantha to get time or he's better off in AHL)
Abby,Helm, Glendening
Miller

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Gotta move Kindl somewhere, somehow. There is no reason to keep him around when both Ouellet and Marchenko, and probably Backman, could be as good or better at a much cheaper pricetag.

I also think we will be able to sign at least 1 or 2 of Dekeyser, Sheahan and Tatar at cheaper than that. Danny I could see coming in somewhere around 2.750, Sheahan closer to 1.000-1.250. Tatar might be pushing hard for getting the most he can, but I really hope Holland doesn't do something stupid just because of that. Sign the guy to a 3 million average if you have to, either he'll play well enough to earn that money or he'll still be very trade-able if we want to make a move at the deadline or next summer.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
Babcock didn't sound like he was too keen on Alfie at the draft. Said he has to be healthy and if he can't practice with the team and misses a ton of games he is just blocking a spot for a kid. Sounds like he'd prefer Jurco up. I really hope we see Jurco up with Dats and Z instead of Abby. He can do the hard work Abby does but has way more skill. One of Abby, Miller, Glendending will have to sit if Helm is our 4C.

Z, Dats, Jurco
Franzen, Weiss, Nyquist
Tatar, Sheahan, Alfie/Mantha(play this line like a 2B for Mantha to get time or he's better off in AHL)
Abby,Helm, Glendening
Miller

Yeah Jurco should be up but we know he is going to get buried. Only chance he has is if we sign Alfie. Once Alfie is toast about a month into the season Jurco will take his spot.

Hendricks433

Feb 18, 2013
Yeah Jurco should be up but we know he is going to get buried. Only chance he has is if we sign Alfie. Once Alfie is toast about a month into the season Jurco will take his spot.

My main complaint will be if Jurco is in the AHL, Alfie or FA is on 3rd line with Tatar and Sheahan and Abby is on top line with Z and Dats. Abby is a 4th liner and should not be with Dats and Z if we have Jurco.

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
Petri Kontiola

Petri Kontiola wants to leave Traktor now. His goal is NHL.

Source: slovo magazine and Finnish websites

Thoughts? Could get a number 2 center for pretty cheap

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
But why Drew Miller? We have guys like Abby, Helm, Glendening, Callahan, Ferraro. There is no need for him.

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010
But why Drew Miller? We have guys like Abby, Helm, Glendening, Callahan, Ferraro. There is no need for him.

What have Callahan, Ferraro or Glendening proven they're better at than Miller, except being younger?

FlashyG

Dec 15, 2011
Toronto
What have Callahan, Ferraro or Glendening proven they're better at than Miller, except being younger?

I think Glendening has proven he can frustrate opponents into punching his face more than Miller can, but that isn't exactly something to get rid of Miller over.

If anything its just a good reason to have both on the 4th line.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad